WHAT TINT FOR FIXED PORTS

Nov 25, 2013
O'Day 26 325 Lake Erie, Sandusky, OH
I have decided to replace my fixed ports on my O'Day 26 with 3/8" acrylic rather than using the readily available 1/4" that D&R sells. I have found suitable material, but can't decide whether to get light or dark tint. My gut tells me the boat has dark gray smoke on it now as it appears black from outside the boat. but - before I pull the trigger, I thought I would ask the group if anyone has experience with this. The materials are industry standard 2064 (light) and 2074 (dark - or medium depending on the reference). Any help or opinion would be appreciated.

Also - is there interest in seeing the replacement process documented on the site?

All the best - Ahoy!

Chris

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Might obtain a sample of each from D&R OR a local retail plastics company to see what you might like. Otherwise, purchase dark gray smoke for more UV protection of the inside teak, more privacy, less heat build-up and you can still see outside.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
I used bronze tint on the three overhead hatchlights. They were almost identical to the grey tinted fixed ports and were the only uncut material available at the time. What I like about both tints is that they are opaque from the outside in daylight and yet let in lots of light. Gotta pull the shades at night.

Lots of material in the archives on installing portlights ..................... some, maybe not so good.

This is the best, and most detailed fixed portlight replacement video from Boatworks Today I have seen to date.

Nov 25, 2013
Thanks to all for the great information! I will order the 2074 - thank you Dave - and will check out the video you suggest Ralph. when I get rolling on this little project, I'll document with pictures in the owners modifications section for O'Day 26.

Chris

Nov 25, 2013
I ordered the 2074 3/8" plexiglass, the 795 adhesive caulk, and 30' of the 3M high bond tape today - more to come! Chris

Nov 25, 2013
Thanks shipmate! I'll post the process and results around May. All the best - Chris

Nov 25, 2013
Well - Turns out I did NOT replace the port lights in the spring. I DID, however, make two portlghts out of 3/8" plexiglass. I made a template first, marked up the plexi, then sawed the ports out. I rounded the edges with 120 grit sand paper and smoothed with pogressively finer abrasives down to 400 grit.

Castrilper

Nov 25, 2013
Dow Corning adhesive caulk - long slow cure - so I will look for something else.

Nov 25, 2013
I made a template out of cardboard. I use masking tape to creep up on the precise size. was a challenge with the windows still on the boat.
20210509_151405.jpg