What the heck is this?

Jan 24, 2009
1981 Cherubini Hunter 27 Shipwright Harbor Marina, MD
Looks like my emergency tiller, slot fits onto top of rudder post.

May 6, 2010
1984 Oday 39 79 Milwaukee
Definitely the emergency tiller. When deployed on our 34 it points to the port side so it clears the wheel and the stern pulpit.

Apr 9, 2016
Catalina 310 South Haven, MI
Misery solved. I sailed today with a friend in beautiful blue skies and a 15 knot winds on Lake Michigan. Oh yea...the pipe contraption fit perfectly into the emergency tiller port. Only problem is...it is too long to clear the steering wheel. Either I have to cut it down or remove the wheel before using...not something I'd care to have to do in an emergency.

Apr 9, 2016
Does it fit facing aft?
It could fit either way I guess. Since the valve is so far aft that I don't see any other way than to face to the bow...unless I put down the ladder and operate it facing aft. Not sure if it would clear the transom if facing aft and I'd be worried about it falling overboard.IMG_0312.jpg

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
Yeah. It probably won't clear that transom. Maybe shorten it to face forward.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
I'd recommend you try steering with it at full length before you shorten it. From everything I've read the torque you have with a full length emergency tiller is barely adequate. Shortening it at all might make it unusable. If your wheel is like ours was, removing it should be a 30 second or less task. Personally I'd consider that time negligible compared to the time it would take you to realize the steering was broken and dig out the tiller. If you usually sail with crew then one person could be responsible for removing the wheel while the other digs for the tiller.

Apr 9, 2016
Good idea. I'm going to remove the wheel for practice and perhaps keep a wrench near the transom in the starboard hold.

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
And remember you will be motoring slowly to reduce torque.

May 6, 2010
1984 Oday 39 79 Milwaukee
Good idea. I'm going to remove the wheel for practice and perhaps keep a wrench near the transom in the starboard hold.
Are you sure it fits on fore and aft when the rudder is straight ahead? Ours points abeam when the rudder is straight ahead...