What size and type anchor do you use on your C-27?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 8, 2004
- - Barnegat Bay
Hey Skippers,

I am wondering what type of anchors my fellow C27 owners are using. I sail on Barnegat Bay and I have a 15# CQR (18' 3/16" chain and 250' 3 stranded nylon rode) and a 9# Danforth. (6' 1/4" chain with 150' 3 stranded nylon rode)
Both anchors work, but I don't think that they would be useful as storm anchors.
What are you using, and what fits in your forward anchor locker?

I was considering buying a Fortress FX11 to use as a all around anchor, but I need to measure the forward anchor locker to see if it would even fit.
Thanks

Nov 30, 2007
Hunter 36 Forked River, NJ
Bill, I don't know what storm demands might be when anchored in Barnegat Bay, but the Danforth with about 6' chain and 100' or so of rope for my C28 has served its purpose well in the shallow water and firm mud that seems to cover most anchorages in the southern parts (but I only tend to anchor in fair weather). I'm tied up in a slip when the weather's really rough.

Jul 8, 2004
- - Barnegat Bay
Do you know the weight of your Danforth?

Banooma,

What size is your Danforth?

My 15# CQR has failed to hold a couple of times at Tices Shoal in 15kts.
Maybe I did not have a good set, but we did not drag for the first hour we were there.

I want to be sure that the boat will be where I left her if the winds should pick-up.

Nov 30, 2007
Hunter 36 Forked River, NJ
For what it's worth, my anchor is a 13#. Though I haven't noticed any dragging experiences, I am pretty sure I haven't taken all measures to ensure that I don't. It seems like anchor size and type will provide room for debate for many posts to come. I asked the same question in the Barnegat Bay Sailors Social group (http://forums.catalina.sailboatowners.com/group.php?groupid=27) a month or two back, and the consensus was that a regular fluke anchor should work just fine in BB.

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 27 Stuart Florida
I use a 22# Bruce claw anchor with 50' 5/16" galv. chain with up to 100' of 1/2" 3 strand nylon anchor line. I also put a 13lb. mushroom anchor about 3' from the end of the chain to keep it on the bottom. I'm in 6-12ft. of water. I can hold bottom up to 50k winds with this setup. I have a 27' catalina. I'm in south Florida.

Status
Not open for further replies.