What refrigerator is 1986 Catalina 27?

Jul 8, 2020
catalina 27 27 oceanside
Just purchased a nice 1986 27 that has a refrigerator, looks like a factory install. Does anyone know any specifics about this, what brand, available documentation? Works fine, just want to be prepared in case it goes south. Thanks.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
In 86 if there was an installed item like a refrigerator it was likely the dealer not the factory. That said, there is no way of knowing over the past 30 plus years that the same original owner equipment is still on the boat. Your best bet is to do some exploration, Is there a name or label anywhere on the unit. Look at the typical locations for refrigerator labels. (i.e. door panels, freezer, near a reostat used to control temperature. Better yet remove the refrigerator so you can look behind the unit. That is where the action is. That is where you will be looking if the unit stops functioning. There are not too many manufacturers of boat/RV refrigerators. Should be easy to narrow down the usual suspects. Also may discover that the brand is no longer made. So you will be like many of us owners of mature boats. Looking for a good solution to install in a space that does not require to much modification of the boat interior.

New install last month... Refridge on Hadley.jpg

Looks almost original OEM like finished install.

Jul 8, 2020
catalina 27 27 oceanside
Good ideas, thanks, nice install! Mine is actually installed where the normal Ice Box would be, so no easy access to it. No front access to it like the front loading unit you show, it's totally enclosed in the cabinet. The access for loading food/drinks is from the countertop like the ice box. No pictures.

It looks like there is a condenser/heat exchanger(?) in the port cockpit locker. I will try to explore that today when I am on the boat.

Last edited:

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
It looks like there is a condenser/heat exchanger(?) in the port cockpit locker. I will try to explore that today when I am on the boat.
The evaporator unit - freezer box, etc. - is in the ice chest, and the the thing in the locker is the compressor and condenser unit. That's the thing where you should be able to find a label of some kind. It's probably an Adler-Barbour, which seemed to own the market back then.