what make engine?

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
4 cylinder Yanmar is my guess, but not sure of the model.

I don’t see a turbo.

Any idea if it is original or has it been repowered?

There should be a badge plate on the engine.
something like this..

IMG_1420.jpeg

Greg

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I don’t see a 4 cylinder engine available in the 70’s

Here is a nice list of Yanmar engine history…

I think it must have been repowered at some point…

Greg

Nov 22, 2023
kelly peterson 44 sarasota
Thanks you guys. Yes after doing some research it looks to be a yanmar 4jh2e. Its been sitting on the hard for 3 years. The motor ran before it sat. Just trying to look around at what needs to be done to get it running

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Check the oil and change the fuel filters. Also check the impeller, they can develop a set in the vanes when left for long periods of time. I have a 3JH2e which is the 3 cylinder version of the JH series. It looks like there is an engine driven compressor, make sure the compressor hasn't seized. I might take the belt off of it the first time the engine is started.

Nov 22, 2023
kelly peterson 44 sarasota
Check the oil and change the fuel filters. Also check the impeller, they can develop a set in the vanes when left for long periods of time. I have a 3JH2e which is the 3 cylinder version of the JH series. It looks like there is an engine driven compressor, make sure the compressor hasn't seized. I might take the belt off of it the first time the engine is started.
Awesome, thank you. Yeah ive read these diesel's can sometimes fire right up after sitting. Are you saying to take the belt off the engine?

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Hey this one has a vacuum attachment! More engines should come with this! :facepalm:;)
View attachment 221590
One design flaw in this engine is the crankcase ventilation. The hose attaches to the air filter and in theory the oil is sucked into the engine and burned. In reality, it just doesn't suck quite enough so some oil mist come out of the air filter and lubricates the engine room. The engineers almost got it right, it is just an invisible mist that lightly coats everything leaving you to wonder where the oil leak is.

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
One design flaw in this engine is the crankcase ventilation. The hose attaches to the air filter and in theory the oil is sucked into the engine and burned. In reality, it just doesn't suck quite enough so some oil mist come out of the air filter and lubricates the engine room. The engineers almost got it right, it is just an invisible mist that lightly coats everything leaving you to wonder where the oil leak is.
That's a shame - I have one of these in the crankcase vent hose to the filter, I get about a tablespoon every 50 hours in it. maybe it would help: JEGS 52205: Air Oil & Water Separator [4 1/2 in. Height x 1 3/4 in. Diameter] - JEGS

Aug 11, 2011
O'day 30 313 Georgetown MD
Previously posted:

I've been contemplating installing a K&N filter on my air intake manifold, but customizing the top plate using a 3/8 threaded x 3/8 barbed elbow to attach the breather hose to the filter for direct flow.

1704542264790.png
1704542352396.png