What is this through hull in '83 Catalina 25 originally used for?

Jul 9, 2018
Catalina 25 Lake Monroe
There's a through hull (pic attached) on the port side of my transom above the water line that has a hose on the inside but isn't connected to anything. The manual bilge pump in the cockpit doesn't have any hoses on it, so my guess is that it's the output for the manual bilge pump.

Also, it doesn't appear have a seacock on it, but I'll need to climb down in the cockpit locker later to verify.

Hoping someone else has this on their boat and may provide some insight. Thanks!

Attachments

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Definitely a drain. If you have an electric bilge with float, you could use the same drain by adding a Y-connector and two check valves. The same drain could then be used for either pump.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Maybe it was an inlet for when waves hit the transom of the boat the water would rush in and gently wake the boat owner to the possibility that the boat is about to get swamped from astern...

Nah that would just be crazy...

Sorry about the dribble, it has been a bad milk day and it is driving me crazy....

Jul 9, 2018
Catalina 25 Lake Monroe
Maybe it was an inlet for when waves hit the transom of the boat the water would rush in and gently wake the boat owner to the possibility that the boat is about to get swamped from astern...

Nah that would just be crazy...

Sorry about the dribble, it has been a bad milk day and it is driving me crazy....
I just thought you should know this actually made me laugh audibly out-loud and spray coffee through my nose.

Jul 9, 2018
Catalina 25 Lake Monroe
On my 89 Cat 25, that is indeed the location of the output of the manual bilge pump.
Do you have an electric bilge pump anywhere on your Catalina 25? I've thought about it, but see there isn't really a good place to put one and read through many posts where people say you won't need anything but a bucket and sponge.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Definitely a drain. If you have an electric bilge with float, you could use the same drain by adding a Y-connector and two check valves. The same drain could then be used for either pump.
I'd recommend against this. Never do anything to a bilge pump line but run it straight over the side. No tees no checks no valves. Straight runs of smooth hose.

May 4, 2018
Catalina 25 SV Colorado
My Catalina spent the entire year on the water and we had zero water in the boat or hull.

What's that bilge pump thing do again? We haven't had to use it yet.

Oct 22, 2014
What's that bilge pump thing do again?
It sits there connected to your battery waiting. Should a water in the boat event occur it shall spring into action draining your battery and your boat. Hopefully it accomplishes number 2 before number 1 happens.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
@jssailem everybody knows that Springs are a natural magical source of water, delivering water to the surface with no pumping. Puttting a spring inside a boat and getting it into action is a very bad idea.

Oct 22, 2014
Oh nooooooo Bad use of a word on a boat? I am losing control of my mind...:yikes:

Or an clever accidental use of words..... :liar:

May 4, 2018
Catalina 25 SV Colorado
It sits there connected to your battery waiting. Should a water in the boat event occur it shall spring into action draining your battery and your boat. Hopefully it accomplishes number 2 before number 1 happens.
I have just the manual bilge pump, never had to pump water out, ever. Had a electrical bilge pump on the last sailboat...

Oct 22, 2014
never had to pump water out, ever.
You are a fortunate sailor. You might find
Tranquility: A Memoir of an American Sailor. by Billy Sparrow
An interesting read into the trials and tribulations other sailors.

May 4, 2018
Catalina 25 SV Colorado
You are a fortunate sailor. You might find
Tranquility: A Memoir of an American Sailor. by Billy Sparrow
An interesting read into the trials and tribulations other sailors.
Sorry - I mean never had to pump out my CURRENT boat. Actually it bothered me this summer, we kept looking for some water in the boat as it was at the marina on water all summer, wither from rain, condensation, leaks..something. Nothing..

Oct 22, 2014
I understand... Having a sound boat with no leaks is a great thing. I borrowed this motto from the owners of Morganscloud.com and apply it to my prioritizing of boat tasks.
What Really Matters:
  • Keep the water out.
  • Keep the crew on the boat.
  • Keep the keel side down.
  • Keep the mast up.
  • Keep the rudder on.
All the rest is small stuff.​
Looks like you are succeeding on at least the number one issue.

Nov 1, 2017
Catalina 25 Sea Star Base Galveston, TX
@JetLaggedChef ,
Good evening! I own and sail an '84 Cat 25, and I agree with everyone's saying that the through-hull is indeed a bilge pump. On my boat, the pump is a compression bladder that is pumped manually with an insertable handle. The pump actually was protected by a hard plastic cover, so it took me a few hours to discover it when I initially bought the boat and did a run-through (the owner was not very experienced and had only sailed the boat a handful of times since he bought her in 1984). I'm not sure if he installed that cover himself, or if it came as an option from Catalina. Who knows; the fact of the matter is, these bladder pumps are FAMOUS for developing tiny, millimeter-sized tears that leak water, rendering the compression system useless. You may want to check the condition of your pump bladder, as your boat is just a year older than mine, and I'd hate for you to experience the pain I'm dealing with. Fair winds!
God Bless,
S.S.