What is this thing?

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I believe it could be a MOB system holder for either a light or pole that is tailor-made to fit that bracket. Is there any chance there was once a part on the backstay that could have held the end of a MOB pole? We have a big yellow light that can hang upside down on a stanchion in a bracket and it lights when turned over and chucked in the drink.

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
Is there any chance there was once a part on the backstay that could have held the end of a MOB pole?
Looks to me like this is at the pointy-end at the front, rather than the stern rails. Consider trailer hitch at bottom of first picture. :what:
Kinda does look like one of those big (dim) old-fashioned man overboard light holders, but not quite, though.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Looks to me like this is at the pointy-end at the front, rather than the stern rails. Consider trailer hitch at bottom of first picture. :what:
Kinda does look like one of those big (dim) old-fashioned man overboard light holders, but not quite, though.
Duh! I even took the running light fixture for what it was before anyone even mentioned it. Oh well, some days I'm not as bright as others.
I certainly wouldn't be putting a MOB light on the bow pulpit, so now I'm back to square one.

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
Just had a thought. 2 owners ago the boat lived for a time on a mooring. I wonder if this was to hold the pickup wand when she was tied to the mooring? Any thoughts?

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Just had a thought. 2 owners ago the boat lived for a time on a mooring. I wonder if this was to hold the pickup wand when she was tied to the mooring? Any thoughts?
Could be, that would keep it off the deck.

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
This my favorite “what is this?” thread so far. It looks like a bracket intended to hold a tube shaped item in a vertical position. It looks too fragile to hold anything anchor related. Maybe fishing related?

Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
With a single hose clamp mount and lightweight stock rod, I also agree that this is used as a coiled line support. Perhaps for some light weight anchor rode or dock lines? Does your C22 have an anchor locker? I also believe it needs to be mounted like this:

03CC6FC4-2A39-4A92-9BBF-878E69CBE5F7.jpeg