What is this fitting for?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 5, 2004
- - Greenwich, CT
Must be for the main halyard

Since there is only one of these and it is on the starboard side, I conclude this u-bolt is for attaching the main halyard shackle after dousing the sail. The purpose for this, is that when it rains, water runs down the halyard and can pour onto the main sail. With the main halyard shackle attached on this u-bolt, water from the halyard flows nicely to the deck. It is a convenient place to attach the shackle as opposed to a stanchion or whatever.

Alan

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 35.5 LI, NY
Must be for the main halyard

Bayard, the best place for your main halyard when not in use is the back end of the boom. This will clear your deck of needless toe stubbers and take the load off the vang at the same time.

Alan

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 35.5 LI, NY
Fred

If you use the halyard as a topping lift, it will take the load of the boom off the vang which will be carrying the load without it. This is the setup I use on my boat. Additionally I use a tackle with cam cleet. The mainsheet draws the boom to one side, the tackle to the other, and the halyard draws it up. This arrangement holds the boom completely fixed relative to the boat which minimizes any needless wear on anything. This arrangement makes a topping lift redundant.

Dec 2, 2003
- - Seabeck WA
Gotcha, thanks.

I wasn't thinking of a solid vang. Works for me. P.S. That could also work to support my boom-kicker setup. As the boom is rigged now, it's not good to lean on it. It just gives. Thanks again, I'll think about my rig too.

Jun 2, 2004
Oday 25 pittsburgh
Barry,Why not replace the "U" bolt with

two bedded machine bolts. If an epoxy patch does not bond well, the patch will leak. However if you insert a machine screw into each hole and bed them properly, the chances of a leak are small and it also give you the option to reinstall that fitting should you find out what it was for. r.w.landau

S

Steve

on my 1986 Newport 28..

...these are used for turning blocks running the main and headsail halyards back to cockpit. Looks like your boat was upgraded somehwere along the way. Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.