What is this fitting for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarryL

May 21, 2004
Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 409 Mt. Sinai, NY
Hello, Does anyone know what is the purpose of the U bolt in the attached picture? I have a leak from the fitting. I plan on removing the U bolt and sealing the holes. However, if there is a purpose for the fitting, I'll rebed it and leave it alone. The boat was set up for sailing with a spinnaker. Is it to route a spin control line or something? I have used an asymmetric chute, but not a regular one. Thanks, Barry

A

Andy

Tack line or remote anchor perhaps

PO could have run a spinaker tack line through there and back to winch. He/she may have also used it to run the anchor line aft so the anchor could be dropped from the cockpit when singlehanded. Another possibility is an awning tie down point. Last and least likely is a boom preventer attachment. Looks like a real good toe breaker to me!

Dec 19, 2005
Hunter 36 Des Moines, WA
Just a guess

My first guess is for the spinnaker poll to clip on it to keep it from rolling around underway. My second guess is it could have been used to shackle your spare halyards when not in use.

A

Allan

Halyard

There is a block directly over head on my starbard spreader, I have a line that I use to hoist my courtesy flags when we visit Canada. Also when my friends visit from Bavaria I usually fly the Bavarian flag. When making a lake crossing I usually hoist my radar reflector on this line and tie it off on the U bolt. My 2 cents

higgs

Aug 24, 2005
Nassau 34 Olcott, NY
Gt rid of it

Who knows what a former owner had in mind. If you don't use it, get rid of it. It is not a "normal" fitting on most boats.

Aug 1, 2005
Beneteau J-Boat Huntington, NY
Tweaker

For a Spinaker ? That looks about where you could place a block on a swivel for a tweaker line that goes to the spin pole.

E

Ed Allmand 35 Pilot House Sloop

It looks like a Preventer

It looks to me like it would be a great Preventer to attach the boom vang when your sail was to that side, to prevent a Jibe, but there should be one on the otherside if that is the case. Otherwise, it might be just a place to clip on to with your harness if working at the mast. Ed Kelly

D

Don

Fitting

It could be an attach point for a jackline or a harness. Also, could be to secure a dinghy on the fore deck. If it is in you way, remove it and install bolts in the holes. Maybe someday you will figure it out and put it back in.

Apr 26, 2005
Beneteau Oceanis 390 Tsehum Harbour, BC, Canada
Deck Fitting

My Beneteau 390 came with the same u-bolt on starboard. None on port. I run my gennacker tack line through it and back under the traveller through a spare rope clutch to a starboard winch. Do not need to winch it normally. Could also use it for my whisker pole downhaul if I wished or for my boom preventer. Prefer to attach the latter to the toe-rail. Rebed it as after you remove it you will want to use it.

B

Benny

Preety useful after all.

After listening to all the suggestions it looks like that U bolt is preety useful after all. If you have'nt stubbed your toe on it just rebbeded and keep it.

Jun 1, 2004
Beneteau 393 Newport
Someone drilled a hole

in the wrong place and thought....."if I drill another, I can put a U-bolt in there and owners will wonder, forever, 'what in the hell is that there for?'".

E

Eric

fitting

A fairlead of some sort.... please stow the winch handle before it goes overboard:)

Alan

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 35.5 LI, NY
...for sure a toe stubber...

I would get rid of it ASAP. It's badly placed for a fairlead, isn't strong enough for a preventer, is located incorrectly for tweekers, what else can I say. question, is there a matching one on the port side?..if so get rid of it too. like Eric says...with the winch handle.

BarryL

May 21, 2004
consider it gone

Hi guys, Thanks for the advice. I'll remove the U Bolt and fill the holes. There isn't another U bolt on the port side, just the one. Oh, the winch handle was there for decoration only. The pic is from a write up I did on single line reefing. Barry

BarryL

May 21, 2004
epoxy?

Hello, I haven't really thought about how to fill the holes. My first impression would be to use epoxy. Tomorrow I'll go to the boat and remove the U Bolt. The boat is on the hard and shrink-wrapped for the winter. I'll leave the holes open so any moisture can dry out. In the spring I'll do my research and then properly repair the holes. I'll also remove the handrails (port and starboard) and rebed them (after refinishing them at home. Barry

flyhop

Aug 8, 2005
Oday 28 Guntersville AL
Get Don Casey's book

"Sailboat Hull and Deck Repair". You can probably find it at your local library (my landlocked library in GA had it and it's 80 miles from water). I bought a copy from half.com for about $9. Good detailed information on how to fix stuff like this. And for me, how to stop leaks. Yikes! Good luck with your repair. BTW, fast cure epoxy will has a pot life of about 10 minutes and will cure overnight in 40 degree temperatures or higher. Being that you are in NY, a healthy glob of silicone would work for the time being, or just don't remove it until it warms up a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.