What is this cable for?

Abarb

Aug 14, 2020
Looking 30' Whidbey Island
On my 1979 Cat 30 there is a cable that runs along the port side of the mast up to the top. Is this for running a spinnaker? It's connected to the blue line and cleated off on the jib halyard cleat. Thanks for any info. The boat is new to me.

IMG-0751.jpg

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Looks like a wire halyard.

Does it connect with any of the rope halyards?

What side of the mast head does it exit?

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I think it's a halyard too. The blue white flecked line it is attached to, maybe is just extending the halyard enough to tie to the horn cleat. Maybe the halyard tail isn't long enough? Kind of a messy arrangement that could stand improvement. It should be a jib halyard which usually exits the mast and is cleated on the port side of the mast. You normally wouldn't use a wire halyard for a spinnaker - because a little stretch is good when a collapsed spinnaker re-inflates and you don't need that kind of halyard tension.
The white red flecked line could be a main halyard tail but conventionally the main halyard exits the mast and is cleated on the starboard side of the mast.

Abarb

Aug 14, 2020
As far as I can tell it does not connect to any halyards. It does not run internally on the mast as the jib halyard does. I think it might be fixed to the top of the mast but am not sure.

Abarb

Aug 14, 2020
I think it's a halyard too. The blue white flecked line it is attached to, maybe is just extending the halyard enough to tie to the horn cleat. Maybe the halyard tail isn't long enough? Kind of a messy arrangement that could stand improvement. It should be a jib halyard which usually exits the mast and is cleated on the port side of the mast. You normally wouldn't use a wire halyard for a spinnaker - because a little stretch is good when a collapsed spinnaker re-inflates and you don't need that kind of halyard tension.
The white red flecked line could be a main halyard tail but conventionally the main halyard exits the mast and is cleated on the starboard side of the mast.
The red and white line is the jib halyard and runs internally in the mast. The main halyard is on the starboard side of the mast. This picture is the port side of the mast. And yes I think the blue white line is used to extend the cable to the cleat.

Dec 14, 2003
Hunter 34 Lake of Two Mountains, QC, Can
Abarb, I do believe also that it is the old topping lift, particularly after your comment that it might be fixed near the top of the mast. Simple to verify: take it off the horn cleat, walk it around the spreaders and shrouds and go towards the end of the boom. There is probably something that it previouslay attached to.

Oct 22, 2014
What side of the mast head does it exit?
I asked this to see if it could be off the aft of the mast head and serve as a topping lift for the boom.
A topping lift for the bow is less likely, yet it could be for a spinnaker pole. Especially if it only goes partway up the forward side of the mast.

If you can not move it when you pull down then a logical assumption is it is fixed.
Climbing the mast would resolve your wonder.
A drone flight surveying the Masthead, may also resolve the conundrum.

Abarb

Aug 14, 2020
I asked this to see if it could be off the aft of the mast head and serve as a topping lift for the boom.
A topping lift for the bow is less likely, yet it could be for a spinnaker pole. Especially if it only goes partway up the forward side of the mast.

If you can not move it when you pull down then a logical assumption is it is fixed.
Climbing the mast would resolve your wonder.
A drone flight surveying the Masthead, may also resolve the conundrum.
I'll have to take a further look when I'm at the boat tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestions.

Abarb

Aug 14, 2020
It does come off the aft of the mast at the top and is fixed. However, it does not reach all the way back to the end of the boom. It's about 16" short.

Oct 22, 2014
Or you might lift the boom the 16” and attach a shackle to keep the boom up and away from the cockpit while the boat is at rest (at an anchorage or tied to a dock).

Abarb

Aug 14, 2020
I think it's part of the topping lift. I'll leave it in place since it might be useful at some point.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
It's definitely the topping lift. It is short because it typically has a line, blocks and a cleat to use for adjusting the angle of the boom. Even with a boom kicker, I would use the topping lift and get it off the mast. That thing must clank like the devil when other people at the marina are trying to sleep. Besides that, the abrasion of the metal on the mast can't be attractive, either.

Dec 14, 2003
Hunter 34 Lake of Two Mountains, QC, Can
Quote': ''It does come off the aft of the mast at the top and is fixed. However, it does not reach all the way back to the end of the boom. It's about 16" short.''
It definately is a topping lift. Being shorter by about 16'' is simply because a block with a line must have been attached to it to allow height adjustment of the boom, i.e. as per the attached pics.
And to quote ScottT-Bird, I would certainly get it off the mast and re-attached where it belongs to save on the wear and tear on the mast and the annoying clanging.

Attachments