What is the weight capacity for a mast on a 1987 ODAY 272 hold ?

May 19, 2020
O'DAY 272 Water Edge
I have a furling main and a furling jib. Would I be able to climb up or have someone climb up it to change the light on top of the mast? My weight about 310 lbs

Jan 22, 2008
Islander Freeport, 41 Ketch Longmont, CO
Its more than just a weight issue are you physically fit to do the work you need done, do you have a proper bosuns chair, what is your back-up? We had a very unfortunate incident with a new member who died while climbing the mast when his homemade rope harness failed, sinched up on him, cutting off the circulation and the crew was unable to lower him from the top of the mast. (please don't ask for specifics on this incident, I was not there and will not speculate on details).

Find a young person who weighs about 150lbs and rig a main line along with a 2nd backup and you should be fine.

Just some thoughts, Be safe and take your time.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
The rough calculations are 310 lbs X 27 ft of mast yield a turning arm of 8,370 foot pounds. The offseting keel at 1920lbs X 2.92 ft of keel yields a counter turning arm of 5,600 foot pounds. It is obvious that at maximum inclination the keel will not support your weight. In reality with a boat tied to a dock at 0 degrees of inclination or at minimum heel the boat will support the weight. The inherent danger is that the margin of safety can quickly deteriorate with a wake or wave abruptly causing the boat to heel. Lines could be tied from boat to dock poles to try and restrict the amount of heel. You would also have to consider your winch sizes, mounting and lines as to how load they could handle. There are many other factors that influence the margin of safety such as the true distance from mast and keel to the boats center of gravity, linear weight distribution along the mast and the keel, beam and shape of the hull etc. I ran some other rough calculations under various assumptions and concluded that if it was me, I would not put a person up the mast that would weigh more than 200 lbs. This is a person that could help himself climbing up the mast to ease the effort of the wincher and the load on the equipment. Use a good bosun's chair and harness and always tie a safety line.

May 19, 2020
O'DAY 272 Water Edge
Its more than just a weight issue are you physically fit to do the work you need done, do you have a proper bosuns chair, what is your back-up? We had a very unfortunate incident with a new member who died while climbing the mast when his homemade rope harness failed, sinched up on him, cutting off the circulation and the crew was unable to lower him from the top of the mast. (please don't ask for specifics on this incident, I was not there and will not speculate on details).

Find a young person who weighs about 150lbs and rig a main line along with a 2nd backup and you should be fine.

Just some thoughts, Be safe and take your time.
Thank you for your response. When I was younger bosun chair didn't scare me when I was hoisted up the mast on our Ketch. Since the Army I don't do heights well. If I couldn't find someone I will have to eventually have to go up the mast and fix the issues. I need to fix the halyard line as well as replaced my navigational light. I am looking at rock climbing equipment or someone that is a rock climber that has all the safety gear. Safety is always the number one priority with me as well as my guests and crew. I am thinking of removing all rigging and getting a few people to lower the mast but the docks are skinny and don't feel safe with the docks.

May 19, 2020
O'DAY 272 Water Edge
Thank you Safety is the key and knowledge is power. I will take your advice and hire someone that has plenty of experience and knowledge on fixing things up on the mast.