What is the one thing on your boat that you like the most?

Jan 24, 2017
Hunter 34 Toms River Nj
This is a follow up question to my previous post “whats the one thing on your boat drives you crazy”

The one thing that I really like on my boat is the way that the toe rail is designed.

I have a 1983 hunter 34 and the toe rail and hull are jointed with bolts that extend outboard of the hull approximately thee inches with a anodized aluminum toe rail integrated into the design. The same design is also found on the h31 and h40, possibly on other models of this vintage
This design produced quite a few unintended advantages. The main reason for this design was to increase production time by jointing the deck to the hull quickly and efficiently. Unfortunately hunter stopped using this design shortly years after. As most great designed items manufacturers have to change things that we like!
Positive Unintended advantages were.
1) if the deck bolts leak it leaks eternally
2) no black water streaks down the hull, all water on the deck drips clear of the toe rail which extends past the hull. Less cleaning time equals more sailing time.
3) acts as a rub rail and helps prevent hull damage. Still need fenders! But if fender slips away hull is not directly against a pile
4). When the boat is cutting though big waves the overhang toe rail design causes the majority of the water to be cupped and deflected down and away from the topsides. This keeps the deck much dryer then most boats i have sailed on.

now again you can’t say first mate or admiral that’s to easily

Last edited:
May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
well capt, i'm going to tell you of 2, not one. the first is the snap shackle on my jib halyard. use it every sail. it had been stolen by the PO at minneford's yard, city island, ny, off Intrepid. aeolus wintered there. intrepid had been built there. the other item is the meridian cheek blocks that feed the jib sheets to the primary winches. given to me off a 45' S&S, 1948 wood racer, built at PJ's in sturge. it was an upgrade for sure. bronze teardrop shaped. and again, used ever sail.

Last edited:

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
When I bought this boat, I wasn't really aware of how good a sailboat she was. Single handing her in the beginning, I sailed her very conservatively, and she was a fine sailboat. Once I hooked up with my would be wife, I started to push her a bit harder, and the occasional 10 knots (boat speed) was kinda fun.
Then we lost the autopilot and after a lifetime of manning helms, sitting there for hours at a time just wasn't in my plans. So we started trimming the sails more like a racer than a cruiser and we were cutting serious time off our day trips. 10 knots became a regular occurrence.
A year or so after that, we lost the engine starter and had to sail everywhere, even the lees, until we arrived in St.T, where I could have one shipped in inexpensively. Again she performed like a greyhound.
I guess I'd have to say that it would be her sailing performance, for a very comfortable boat. She certainly won't out sail many boats in light airs (not that we have those sails), but once we're reefed down for a strong tradewind day, there are very few boats in her size that seem to be able to keep up with her.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@capta Your description was moving. Just had to see if there was a picture that captured a bit of your fever about the Pearson 530 ... Hope this is one.
1614619659904.png

Once I hooked up with my would be wife, I started to push her a bit harder,
:yikes:
I believe you were thinking about the sailboat when you typed this. The context just gave me pause....:biggrin:

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
This is so funny. Everyone can list things that bug them, but only to OP could point out a specific nice feature.

With a Corsair it's easy. The folding mechanism--you get speed and seaworthiness, and yet it folds to trailer width in just 2-3 minutes with no tools.

And good rub rails. I singlehand a lot, and docking always has the potential to get weird, particularly with multihulls (wind gusts can move them fast and slips seldom fit well.) Being able to gently and safely lay a hull on a piling gives me the control to never hit another boat.

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
She sails so beautifully - well balanced, fast, and dry. At the end of the day, I can go below to a very comfortable cabin. The contrast between the stark working efficiency above deck, and the teak and cushions comfort below is startling.

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
When I bought this boat, I wasn't really aware of how good a sailboat she was. Single handing her in the beginning, I sailed her very conservatively, and she was a fine sailboat. Once I hooked up with my would be wife, I started to push her a bit harder, and the occasional 10 knots was kinda fun.
Then we lost the autopilot and after a lifetime of manning helms, sitting there for hours at a time just wasn't in my plans. So we started trimming the sails more like a racer than a cruiser and we were cutting serious time off our day trips. 10 knots became a regular occurrence.
A year or so after that, we lost the engine starter and had to sail everywhere, even the lees, until we arrived in St.T, where I could have one shipped in inexpensively. Again she performed like a greyhound.
I guess I'd have to say that it would be her sailing performance, for a very comfortable boat. She certainly won't out sail many boats in light airs (not that we have those sails), but once we're reefed down for a strong tradewind day, there are very few boats in her size that seem to be able to keep up with her.
When the J’s, B’s, and S’s are going in and calling it quits, we decide to continue and do an overnight.