What is the largest trailerable sailboat?

Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
While my Catalina fixed keel, tall mast is not the largest trailerable it sure is all the boat I would want to pull! It stands 12.5' high on the trailer and center of gravity quite high. I installed anti-sway bars on trailer tongue but still hell to tow! Lot of boat for 25'! Great boat once it is in the water. Like Meriachee's mast raising system: I designed it myself and uses mainsheet blocks to raise mast with 1 pole and 2 side lines. Works fine. Chief

Last edited:

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
Just got home an hour ago from 3 days on our local lake, which is a typical adventure for us, and accomplished 6-8 times a season. all trailered. I've been looking for a better boat for our needs for 4 years now but haven't seen one yet that does everything better than our lowly Macgregor 25. easy to tow (2100 lb displacement) swing keel sits low on the trailer and easily launches at any improved ramp. sets up/breaks down in about 40 minutes. keeps up with or beats most any of the commonly seen boats at our small marina (231 phrf).

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
Have you looked at the F-27 and slightly larger sister the 880? ....This is where Dr Judy weighs in....

Grith

Jan 16, 2019
Imexus Imexus 28 Wollongong
Hi All Rather than the Mac 26 there is another Hybrid with more cruising ability and comfort being the Imexus 28. Mine has a 180hp inboard Yanmar ( normally 140hp) along with most of the ammenities of a small cruising yacht like refrigeration, hot water, enclosed shower toilet ( for smaller types ) at 6 foot 2, I shower on the swim deck , but I can comfortably sit in the toilet. Mast raising is one person via a permanently attached support system that stays attached whilst sailing for lowering under bridges and powerlines. At 8 foot 2 inches wide ( I have shaved mine to 8foot) it is legal to tow virtually anywhere but does weigh in around 7000lbs on trailer so needs a decent sized tow vehicle. I use a VW Touareg 3 litre diesel SUV here in Australia and don’t know what the equivalents are over in the US.
C8E03084-7275-41F6-AC5C-5A7F92702475.jpeg