What is a skipper?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
To add to Don's post, sometimes winning is more tactics than helming. Sometimes, not always...

Sep 25, 2008
Harpoon 5.2 Honolulu, HI
Given that it's a special race anyway, I think as long as the skipper is female and the boat owner is normally part of the club, you should let it go. The race is about encouraging females to get out there and have fun, right?

higgs

Aug 24, 2005
Nassau 34 Olcott, NY
It turns out this story has a good ending and the controversy was short lived. It turns out the owner's step daughter is stepping aboard for this one race. She is the normal skipper, but has missed this season with a maternity leave. Her coming back takes away the problem, though I need to have the deed holder reconsider his rule. Thanks for all the comments. This issue came up once before and if/when it does again, I now have some good ammo.

I just want boats out there and you guys are right that it is only a small minority that make a stink over stuff like this. The important thing is to learn how to ignore the whiners and have fun.

May 11, 2005
Seidelman S37 Slidell, La.
IMHO

And for whatever it's worth, the skipper is the person who is in control/charge of the boat. Whether this is the owner or not. In my own experience, I can tell you for sure, there can only be one captain on a boat. The crew may have discussions and debates but the final decisions have to come from the one person on board who is in charge.

Jun 6, 2004
Catalina 38 San Francisco Bay
Precision of definition

There will always (or quite often) be someone in a race who will find a way to protest or object to the outcome based on an interpretation of the rules as outlined in the deed or the race instructions. Precision of definition and use of precise terms is necessary. If a meaning is in doubt it must be explained in the race instructions or deed.
A quick search for the definition of skipper finds too many definitions for your needs.

Skipper (boating), a person who has command of a vessel

Skipper: the master of a ship; especially : the master of a fishing, small trading, or pleasure boat

Skipper: The person who steers a sailboat or is in charge of giving directions to the other people on the boat.

Each leaves an opening for interpretation.

Be precise in the race instructions and hope everyone is in it for the fun and not the glory ...

Fair Winds and good luck to the Women!!

~d

Status
Not open for further replies.