What do you use for fire extingushers??

CYQK

Sep 11, 2009
beneteau first 42 kenora
Getting ready to launch and need to newly equip my fire suppression.
What is the easiest and best that you use?
Also need to make the insurance company happy
Thks

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Jul 19, 2013
Pearson 31-2 Boston
In addition to the USCG mandated extinguishers, I recommend a single Haltron unit like
plus install a fire port to the engine compartment

While these are expensive, in addition to being effective for an engine room fire, it leaves no residue. Should you ever discharge a phosphate unit onto an engine, you will never remove all of the the resulting residue (assuming the boat doesn't get destroyed...).

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
In addition to Canadian requirements for chemical units, I also carry one 10 lb. CO2 extinguisher. I would not even think of discharging the chemical extinguishers in the boat unless it was a life and death situation, and by then it may well be too late. I wouldn't hesitate with the CO2 in any situation.

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
Well, you usually only get one shot with each extinguisher and although recommended by USCG, I'm not a fan of an agent that leaves no residue when dealing with flammable liquid fire. I'm not saying it is a bad idea, I'm saying it shouldn't be your only idea. No residue means the ability to reignite (unless completely displacing the O2) normally. If you have a true emergency that requires an extinguisher, get it out, keep it out and deal with the mess later. Dry Chem is the way to go in my opinion when you have limited stock and you are stuck on the thing that is burning. Don't use CO2 on a flammable liquids fire. You're going to blow the liquid all over the place, increasing its surface area which increases the burning. Although you are cooling the materials with CO2, you are actually making the atmosphere too rich to burn and given an ignition source (hot metal) it's just a matter of time until the atmosphere gets back to its flammable range and reignites. The best agent is one that interrupts the chemical reaction and sustains the interruption.

I have dry chem's in all sleeping areas and one in the general area. I like the fire blanket idea. Those things are very popular in Europe.

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
Since the OP used the term 'fire suppression' in the inquiry, I suspect he has some knowledge already...
All that said, some years ago our little YC arranged to have a group of us attend a half day course for boaters at a facility at nearby PDX. There were about 30 of us, and the lecture was a good grounding in what kind of fire is attacked with what kind of extinguishing agent. Then we went outside where they had a row of charged powder extinguishers ready, and a large metal pan with a screen over the top and a feed pipe of propane or natural gas ( I forget which).
It lit off with a whoosh, with tall flames. We all (all...., guys and gals) each put out the fire with a fire bottle. Pull the pin, attack the base, back n forth, and etc. We all succeeded, too! :)
**Editorial note: have some larger bottles on board than the minimum 2.5#. Those little things have an alarmingly short useful life once you pull the lever!
:(

For those who had never had any rudimentary training in civilian or military life, it was great. A great refresher for the rest of us, too!
Our club has done this hands-on class once since, and once the pandemic abates some more we will schedule it again. Those fire fighters are really supportive of boaters knowing what to do and having "fire suppression" gear aboard!

Anyhow, if you can find or create a class opportunity like this, go for it!
(As a surveyor has told me, a sinking boat often takes 15 minutes or more to go down, but discovery of a fire on board reduces your effective response time - often - to seconds.)

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
I have a couple of extinguishers aboard that are labelled ”marine B-C” . One is located in the cabin easily accessible and adjacent to the fire port in the engine compartment as well as the galley. The second is located under the lazerette seat in the cockpit.
What I have wondered is why the labelling on the extinguishers (and their use)is not required to be A-B-C by the Coast Guard.

CYQK

Sep 11, 2009
beneteau first 42 kenora
Ya know....... hadnt thought about installing something like the fire port.
Seems like a good idea
Just have to figure out where is the best place to install
Thks for that one!!!

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
boat fire fighting is not house fire fighting. you can not "let er burn" and stand back cause it's too much. if you do not put out the fire, you DIE. get the best, get to many, mount down low below the flames, get marine ABC. review with crew all the time. have drills. do not mess with fire on a boat.
anything less and your a bad skipper! that's right. i said it! :yikes:

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
What is the content of the B-C extinguisher?
Great question!!..........BC fire extinguishers contain carbon dioxide or halon or dry chemical agent and rated for use on B (flammables) and C (energized electrical equipment) class fires. ABC fire extinguishers contain mixture of monoammonium phosphate and ammonium sulfate based dry chemical agent and rated for use on A (ordinary combustibles), B and class C fires. Coast Guard Approved extinguishers are hand-portable, either B-I or B-II classification and have a specific marine type mounting bracket. It is recommended the extinguishers be mounted in a readily accessible position. All “marine type” extinguishers must have the Coast Guard classification system marking and approval number on the label, i.e., “Marine Type USCG Type —, Size-—, Approval No. 162.028/—-”.

Dec 28, 2015
As stated previously, I would not carry a B-C extinguisher over a ABC on a boat unless it was a suppression system in a fully enclosed area like a engine room. The reason for this is so you can contain the atmosphere by not opening it up until the atmosphere and contents have cooled below diesels autoignition temp of around 500f. Halon and it’s newer derivatives tend to not have the same capabilities for suppressing reignition as does monoammonium phosphate (ABC). Co2 has no ability to suppress unless it’s contents are fully contained (letting no further air in).

WayneH

Jan 22, 2008
Tartan 37 287 Pensacola, FL
Have you seen this? NOT USCG approved but.... Uses the same chemical found in dry fire extinguishers.

Only available at worst marine at this time.

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
One added note regarding our particular boat, it's equipped with two 5# bottles and one 2.5# bottle. We also have the factory halon system in the engine compartment, and do keep it certified every X number of seasons. This system comes with a warning light to show if it has discharged, so you would know not to open the engine hatch and introduce fresh air.

As for dry powder making a mess... oh yeah. I had one bottle blow out its contents on a very hot day once about a decade ago. (Bad washer on the top valve casting.) :(
Took me weeks to clean up the mess. Still, if we have a fire, such a mess would be a small price to pay for extinguishing it.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
Best to get out of the boat, there are too many toxic fumes when plastic burns.

Dec 28, 2015
Jun 15, 2012
BAVARIA C57 Greenport, NY
In addition to a "Halotron" and a number of other Dry Chemical extinguishers, we keep an old Army woolen blanket that can be used to smother a fire, especially a cooking fire.