What do you cook with?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benny

Sep 27, 2008
Hunter 320 Tampa, FL
Fail to understand the recommendation for removing the gasket seal for making bread in a PC. You need to place the dough in a covered bowl on a rack over some water so that it can build pressure and temperature. No gasket, no pressure.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
Benny, by that receipe you ain't baking bread you are steaming a pudding.

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
Fail to understand the recommendation for removing the gasket seal for making bread in a PC. You need to place the dough in a covered bowl on a rack over some water so that it can build pressure and temperature. No gasket, no pressure.
Benny,
Ross is right and so are you. As long as you have water in it, you need the rubber gasket, but if you're using it to bake bread without water, you need to remove the rubber gasket or it will melt from the intense heat.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
This one falls into the for what it's worth catagory. A couple of years ago I was trying out the idea of steamed puddings as a means for making canned bread or cake. Rather like the "C" ration canned cake or the store bought boston brown bread. So using a steamed pudding receipe I filled several jars half full and processed them like any low acid food. 75 Minutes at 10 pounds pressure. the result was reasonable but not wonderful and the rest of the jars went on the shelf. I pulled one out tonight and tried it for knowledge and my opinion hasn't changed, it's alright and would be welcome three weeks out on a long passage.

J

Jon Golliher

ROSS,

Shooter was talking about an alcohol stove and that was also what I was commenting on as should be having no color. You totally lost me when you commented about his topic, correcting me and then you mentioned propane??? Was just wondering what did that have to do with the color of alcohol burning or if you made a typo? :confused:

Fair winds,
Jon

Oct 22, 2008
- Telstar 28 Buzzards Bay
Benny—

It all depends on whether you're planning on actually baking or not. You can't bake in a pressure cooker with the gasket in. The pressure in an oven has to stay normal, and not increase or become elevated. If you leave the gasket in and add a bowl of water, you're steaming a pudding, not baking bread, as others have pointed out. The pressure cooker is just used as an oven that fits on the stove top. The heavy and relatively well thermally sealed design is what makes it function as an oven.

Leaving the pressure gasket in is a bad idea when baking, since baked goods often have to rise as they bake, and leaving the gasket in does funny things to the rising part, since the pressure outside the cake/bread is increasing, making it difficult for the bread/cake to rise properly.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Jon, The hydrogen in the fuel will show a pale blue flame when viewed in a dim light. I have used oxy-hydrogen torches for welding aluminum and it is rather scary because you can't see a flame if the light is bright enough to see your work. Burn some alcohol in the dark and you will see a little color, dip a wooden splinter into some salt water and place that in the flame and the color will go to an orange-yellow in the area of the splinter. If you heat a copper wire enough it will cause the flame to show blue-green.
You are quite right saying that a clean alcohol flame won't show any color in normal working light.

Spring is 51 days away and we are having an ice storm today.
Peace.

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
You know guys? I'm sorry that I started this thread that led us all into a big p@$#%& contest. :D

Hey Ross!
It's snowing here, too! I'm also thinking, "spring."
Joe

Nov 6, 2007
hunter 18.5 sandhills of west texas
i'm sorry you started it too! i've been reading these posts at about 10pm our time every day or so, and the first thing i do when i finish reading the latest recipe or cooking idea is go in the kitchen and start cooking. i've gained about 10# off this stinkin' thread. enough already!
jack b :) in midland, tx usa

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Jack , Read my Boston Baked Beans receipe in the "ask all sailors" forum.

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
i'm sorry you started it too! i've been reading these posts at about 10pm our time every day or so, and the first thing i do when i finish reading the latest recipe or cooking idea is go in the kitchen and start cooking. i've gained about 10# off this stinkin' thread. enough already!
Jack,
Here's a recipe for Lentil Stew that can be cooked on the boat, and Benny will like this one because it is cooked in a pressure cooker. This particular recipe calls for beet greens which are the leaves without the stems. I also add Kale to it and chuck in a 1/2 glass of white wine. This recipe comes out great every single time.

Pressure Cooker recipe
1/3 water
1 Tsp salt as water boils
Slowly pour in 1 1/2 cups of lentils
as the water boils.
1/4 cup of wild rice
2 onions quartered
Beet greens, as many needed to get the pot 1/2 pot full.
1 Lbs pork tenderloin, cut up. Lamb or beef kidney can be substituted.
1 beet, cut up
Let it cook under pressure for 1/2 hour
Stew can be thickened.

Ross,
You can substitute the 1 LBS pork, and just throw in one pork chop. :D
Trinkky

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
Trinky, How much water?
Ross,
You never want to fill a pressure cooker with any more than 2/3s full of liquid. You start off with 1/3 of water, but once you start throwing the meat and vegetables in the pot, you're going to get a High Tide in there which may result in having to bail her out a little to get the 2/3s. :)
Trinkky

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Ross,
You never want to fill a pressure cooker with any more than 2/3s full of liquid. You start off with 1/3 of water, but once you start throwing the meat and vegetables in the pot, you're going to get a High Tide in there which may result in having to bail her out a little to get the 2/3s. :)
Trinkky
I had to ask because my PC is eight quart. I can process five quart jars or seven pints in there. My friend Suzanne just bought a twelve quart PC. She can process about ten pints in hers.

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
I had to ask because my PC is eight quart. I can process five quart jars or seven pints in there. My friend Suzanne just bought a twelve quart PC. She can process about ten pints in hers.
Ross,
The one that I have is an old Presto 6 quart PC that I picked up in a flea market. I've used it more at home than on the boat, but I think that I'm going to start using it on the boat a little more this year. I want to work up some recipes for it, like my wife's recipe for Portuguee Soup.
Trinkky

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Trinkky , If you can fit 4 quart size mason jars into to it then you may use it for canning. Make the soup at home and process some into jars for the pantry. Then when you head for the boat you will be able to stock from your larder with the foods you prefer.

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
Trinkky , If you can fit 4 quart size mason jars into to it then you may use it for canning. Make the soup at home and process some into jars for the pantry. Then when you head for the boat you will be able to stock from your larder with the foods you prefer.
Ross,
For the sake of having you cringe at me right now,-- I'm going to take the chance anyway,-- and say this with my bare face hanging out;

"Campbell's is a whole lot easier.":dance:

Trinkky

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Ross,
For the sake of having you cringe at me right now,-- I'm going to take the chance anyway,-- and say this with my bare face hanging out;

"Campbell's is a whole lot easier.":dance:

Trinkky
But for the quality of home made soup it is worth the effort.

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
But for the quality of home made soup it is worth the effort.
I knew that you'd get the last word in. I don't know Ross, but I think that I'm just too set in my ways. When I go cruising for a couple of days I like to pack some franks and rolls for the dogs, a chicken pot pie w/ fries, maybe some Banquet Southern Fried Chicken, a left over pork chop, or anything left over from home. I know.--I'm hopeless,--but this is what I like. I usually have cereal in the morning, and I sometimes have a bologna sandwich for lunch. Hey, this is what I like. I know that I look like big chubba-lubba-blubba, but I'm happy. :D

Nov 6, 2007
hunter 18.5 sandhills of west texas
well, i've been like trinkky for a long time now, and it's worked pretty well for me fer shur, but i'm starting to look at 'quality of life' issues now that i'm fifty, and particularly since we have to travel for half a day to get to any puddle big enough to launch our little hunter in, much less one with size and scenery for a coupla days' sailing. so ross has me thinking, and the rest of ya'll as well, on taking some good quality stuff out on the water, with our favorite wines, and enjoying the real quality time you just don't get many other places in life these days. i'm sorta done with the status quo now, and i moved over from campbell's (too salty) to progresso a while back, and it's still lacking imho. jeri's very good at making jellies and pickles, so the pressure cooker and canning station is gonna get some good use this sailing season. i know it'll probably be as queer as two dancin' mice to have the stuff on our boat when everybody else hits the deli meats at the 7-11, but i've always been a contrarian by nature. shoot, i just started a new oil and gas company and i fully expect my investors will get about a 10-15:1 ROI, so i'm absolutely not averse to a good challenge. HA!

Status
Not open for further replies.