What do I do with the holes for instruments that are no longer needed?

May 17, 2023
Hunter 28 High Cliff State Park
I'm upgrading to a multi-function display mounted on my pedestal, which renders my autohelm controller unnecessary. Any recommendations on how to cover or fill the hole left by the instrument? It's located below my engine panel in the cockpit.

Stereo? Drink pass-thru? Stockade for unruly guests?

Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
I contributed to a similar post last year. Here’s the link for that:

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Is there a reason to remove the auto helm control? Is it still funtional. Is it worthy to have a backup should the new MFD fail?

You can patch the hole using a filler piece, some epoxy resin, fiberglass cloth and then matching gel coat.

Sep 24, 2021
Beneteau 35s5 Telegraph hrbr Thetis Island
Starboard can be used for such plugs/covers.. less obvious than plexi but still not as invisible as a proper fill - in.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Is there a reason to remove the auto helm control? Is it still funtional. Is it worthy to have a backup should the new MFD fail?
I agree with John. Unless there is a reason to remove it, leave it in place. At least until you are comfortable using the MFD to control the AP. I have Raymarine AP and MFD. While I can control the AP from the MFD, it's not as convenient as using the dedicated AP display. I tried the first year I installed the instruments, now I consider being able to controll the AP from the MFD just a back up to the AP display.

I did move the AP control to the pedestal and covered the hole in combing with a piece of teak. I then mounted a mic holder on the teak. 2nd choice would be a piece of starboard.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Search YouTube for "filling instrument holes in bulkhead" I have seen a number of such instructional vids.