Filling Instrument Holes

shank

Apr 20, 2016
Catalina 27 5231 Lake Champlain
No, sorry, I wasn't clear. I just want to glass over them to match the rest of the cockpit wall. Thanks

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
The inside of the bulkhead appears to be covered in vinyl, there will be no matching that.

To fill the holes on the outside it will be necessary to grind a bevel around the holes, lay up glass to cover the holes and then applying gelcoat. A lot of work. Many people faced with the same situation just put a piece of teak over the holes and mount new instruments or perhaps hangers for lines led back to the cockpit.

Andy on Boatworks Today is a good resource.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
I wish I had time to find the article, but it is there on youtube. In this case, the repair was done to make the outside appear as if it were undisturbed and involved an extra step to fit the plug and fiberglass as such there will no noticeable depression under the new gel coat. I know... this comment isn't much help as far as how to, but I want to reassure you there is a YouTube article dedicated this specific subject on your boat. I plan to do the same thing, when time and motivation coincide.... So... please persevere, find the article (I'll take a look later tonight or tomorrow. good luck

Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
Hello, I removed an old SR Mariner depth sounder and knotmeter in my Catalina 27. What's the best way and products to use to fill these in? I have easy access to both sides and they are 1.25" thick. Thanks
I think I had the same aged instruments on my boat and had the same issues with decisions for those holes. I opted for a simpler approach:

28E2AAE1-472E-4083-94F9-4248E83794FC.jpeg

I put the same vent covers on the inside as well.

shank

Apr 20, 2016
That's a great idea too with the vents. These old SR Mariner holes are larger than most instruments found today.

Joe, this might be the video you were referring to which seems like another good option.

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
The video on my screen is black and doesn't respond to clicking.

Is it just me? :yikes:

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
will be doing the same this year: fill in with glass, fair and gelcoat
G/L, would love to see the results

Nov 30, 2015
The video on my screen is black and doesn't respond to clicking.

Is it just me? :yikes:
Not sure of your issue. My iPhone won’t shut down at present. Maybe a bigger issue with Apple products.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
That's a great idea too with the vents. These old SR Mariner holes are larger than most instruments found today.

Joe, this might be the video you were referring to which seems like another good option.

That's not the one I had in mind, but it looks like it would be fine. The vid I saw, used a wooden plug with the glass between it and the form. This one omits the plug.... I have no idea if one way is better than the other. Yours looks a lilttle easier...but I'll still try to find the other. The reason I don't have it on hand is because my computer crapped out and I lost a buch of links and passwords. Bunch of info not backed up, etc.... oh well. good luck.

shank

Apr 20, 2016
I think I had the same aged instruments on my boat and had the same issues with decisions for those holes. I opted for a simpler approach:

View attachment 210833

I put the same vent covers on the inside as well.
Do you remember where you bought those vents? Have you had any trouble with moisture getting in? Thanks

Nov 30, 2015
Do you remember where you bought those vents? Have you had any trouble with moisture getting in? Thanks
I found the vent covers on Amazon. They were installed easily and I used butyl tape as a sealant. We had quite a lot of rain early in last years season and there were no leaks observed. I think they also reduced condensation inside the boat by providing better air circulation.

27B491A3-63E9-42E1-98EA-139BB7BE3638.png

shank

Apr 20, 2016
Thanks for that. I like the idea of additional ventilation but I do worry about the plastic holding up to UV degradation over time and getting brittle The price is right and they would be easy to install, however. I don't plan on putting new instruments there but I also like the idea of restoring the fiberglass and filling in the holes too which is more effort and money. Every approach its tradeoffs I suppose and I'm probably just overthinking this. Thanks.