What do I do with PO's, uhh, leftovers?

Jan 12, 2022
Beneteau 373 Seattle
This is my first post in this forum, sorry to intro myself with such filth. Unfortunately that's largely been my intro to the wonderful world of boat ownership. First I would like to say is I have read every forum post I can find and have tried many of the solutions, to no avail.

The boat is a fifteen year old Beneteau 373. The boat is great, clean, and pretty much everything worked from day one, including the head. The PO left the boat in a hurry evidently as all his property transferred, and the waste tank was nearly full. No big deal, I though, but when I went to pump it out I could not get the deck fitting open. Blow torches, all manner of sprays / lubricants, hammers, etc. failed. Annoying, but still no big deal, "I'll just replace the deck fitting since I'm handy" (or at least trying to be, since I really am not).

I bought a new deck fitting and all excited I ripped the old one off. Anyone with a clue probably knows (and would have known) what happened next, what with a totally full tank. PO's seed-filled excrement emerged from its cavernous dwelling at a surprisingly slow slither. Mortified, and also somewhat fascinated, I tried to grab as much as I could to throw overboard but inevitably much found its way back into the boat and into my bilge. I thought, "this freaking sucks but at least it's over" until I realized that I could not, for the life of me, really get the hose back on the deck fitting's barb. I tried using heat guns, boiling water, dish soap as lube. No matter what, I could not get the thing on. Access is terrible and I can barely get two hands on the hose and even then I am literally scraping my arms raw around the access panel frames.

To add insult to injury, I accidentally flushed the electric toilet a couple times and that sent even more disgusting sulphuric black water literally cascading through the seams of the now partially connected pump out hose. Well I was done, I was not handy, I wasn't even sure I was a boater at all. I considered my options, among them just leaving the boat for a decade and hoping that time had broken down all the noxious materials. I settled on using a wood plug which I hammered into the end of the pumpout hose to at least block the smell and prevent further sewage leaks.

Since then, I have contacted someone to replace all my hoses and fix this properly, now that I'd let go of my delusions of being a self-reliant boat owner. But this may not be done for a couple months and I would really, really like to be able to use the boat properly before then. The toilet does "work" now but it's full, and I have no way of emptying it given I am in a no-discharge zone. I'd motor up to Victoria and just dump it all there, except I don't currently have a passport (JK). I absolutely need a toilet to use the boat with my wife. And preferably a non-smelling boat too.

Does anyone have any ideas about how I can connect the hose to the deck fitting for the short term, knowing the fix only need last a couple months or a couple pump-outs? And how can I best get rid of the residual smells?

I have pressure washed the whole section behind the head several times over. That water drains to a basin in my bilge, which for whatever reason does not connect to the main bilge and its pump, so I've been using a wet vac to suck out all the liquid. I have used bleach and enzyme pet cleaner (Pure Ayre), but there's still quite a stink. When the pros come, they will (hopefully) clean it all out when they remove the waste tank, but I'd love to reduce the odors now AND PUMP OUT THE G'D BOAT.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
First, and understanding your frustration, I would try to edit the topic title to a little more family friendly title.

Is there an inspection/cleanout port on the top of the tank? If so, a temporary pompout pipe could be constructed to go into the port and then connect to the pumpout. It would probably be constructed of PVC pipe and some sanitation hose, the cheap stuff will work because you will toss it all in the dumpster when you are done.

A second option would be to use a barbed hose connector between the existing hose and a short section of new hose that connects to the pumpout fitting.

Once the tank is cleaned out, replace all the sanitation hoses with Raritan Saniflex hose. Much of the odor you are detecting is probably from the hose and no amount of cleaning will remove the smell.

Good Luck!

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida

Since then, I have contacted someone to replace all my hoses and fix this properly, now that I'd let go of my delusions of being a self-reliant boat owner. But this may not be done for a couple months and I would really, really like to be able to use the boat
that’s why God created reducer couplings.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
WOW.. Welcom to the SBO Forum.

That was some vent.

I would suggest, if you have not already, acquire a copy of @Peggie Hall HeadMistress's book. It does truly cover the details of all things that can be stinky.

AirPure is a product that can help with odor's. It appears that you have learned by experience why Mike Rowe, a champion of essential workers, included cleaning the honey pots and emptying the sewers in his dirtiest jobs in America.

Being the boat owner means you are the charged with all of the tasks that run a small community. Among them is the sanitation director.

Having someone step up and do the dirty work will help to save your sense of smell.

Does anyone have any ideas about how I can connect the hose to the deck fitting for the short term, knowing the fix only need last a couple months or a couple pump-outs? And how can I best get rid of the residual smells?
Understanding the condition of the system, you are still plagued by the odor. It is possible that the hoses of your system have absorbed the stentch and are now permeating it through out your boat. Ii would suggest removal and replacement. Testing a hose is easy. Dampen a towel with warm water. Wipe it along the hose. Lift it to your nose. If the towel smells the hose needs to be removed and replaced.

I wish you fresh air in your boat.

As far as the connections, you need to select the diameter of hose that matches the fittings. If the fittings are too large nothing will allow you to fit the hose.

Is the size is right and the hose is just stubborn, then heating the hose a little and using a slippery liquid like dish soap may solve the fitting of the hose.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Do you have a anti siphon loop between tank and head discharge? I installed one on my 1.5 inch discharge during a replumb of system 12 years back. It is, in fact, a break in the line that could provide access to tank. You might check around for a mobile marine pump out service and see if they can help you out. Here in san diego there are a number of operators that provide that service... the come to the boat in their pump out barge and clean out the holding tanks right in the slip. Certainly worth a phone call. good luck... :poop: "poo" is a good term....that may not redden any ears ( but no guarantees :)) I like your term though.... because your boat product is far past the "poo" stage. :yikes:

Jan 12, 2022
Beneteau 373 Seattle
First, and understanding your frustration, I would try to edit the topic title to a little more family friendly title.
Thank you! Yes, that's a good idea. It is changed.

Is there an inspection/cleanout port on the top of the tank? If so, a temporary pompout pipe could be constructed to go into the port and then connect to the pumpout. It would probably be constructed of PVC pipe and some sanitation hose, the cheap stuff will work because you will toss it all in the dumpster when you are done.
That's a good idea. Not at the boat now, but I will check when I am there tomorrow. I believe there is a port at the top. Although would pumping out generate enough of a vacuum to bring the material up through the top, or would it just skim the top?

Once the tank is cleaned out, replace all the sanitation hoses with Raritan Saniflex hose. Much of the odor you are detecting is probably from the hose and no amount of cleaning will remove the smell.
Yes, absolutely I will be replacing the hoses with Raritan hoses. I generally agree with the last statement, except it smells noticeably worse since this went down, so I suspect there are a few mounds of waste hiding back there that I am not able to reach or spray with water. I also wonder how much of the matter is getting stuck at the bottom around the little drain holes leading to the bilge.

that’s why God created reducer couplings.
Thanks, Don. I'll definitely look into trying something like that.

I wish you fresh air in your boat.
Thank you, me and you both. Sorry to vent. I appreciate your advice, you are probably right that the hoses are partly to blame for the odor issues (and great tip for how to gauge that - although in my case, the hoses were doused by black water from the outside too, so less useful). I did try those suggestions for fitting the hose back on the barb, but no dice. Appreciate the thoughts!

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
You mentioned motoring up to Victoria to dump the tank. Is that your only option to dump overboard? When I lived on the Gulf Coast of Florida, I had to sail 9 miles offshore to dump the holding tank, but it was a good excuse for a nice day sail.

Oct 3, 2008
Beneteau 393 Chesapeake Bay
I have a similar vintage Beneteau 393 with two heads, but I am certain they are similar to your head on the 373. The tank does have an inspection port that is about 6" or so in diameter. To empty the tank, how about fashioning a siphon/pickup tube from PVC pipe, about 4' long. Attach a hose to that tube that will be used for pumpout. Then stick the other end of the tube down the inspection port opening to siphon out the waste. If the angle is not good, then you may need to include a 45 degree elbow somewhere on the tube or use some flexible PVC pipe.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
That's a good idea. Not at the boat now, but I will check when I am there tomorrow. I believe there is a port at the top. Although would pumping out generate enough of a vacuum to bring the material up through the top, or would it just skim the top?
Use 1.5 " PVC that is long enough to reach the bottom of the tank. Glue on appropriate fittings. Cut the bottom of the pipe at an angle 20 -30° would be good. This will allow stuff to be sucked up the pipe. Pumpout pumps are good suckers.

Yes, absolutely I will be replacing the hoses with Raritan hoses. I generally agree with the last statement, except it smells noticeably worse since this went down, so I suspect there are a few mounds of waste hiding back there that I am not able to reach or spray with water. I also wonder how much of the matter is getting stuck at the bottom around the little drain holes leading to the bilge.
A small pressure washer may be your friend here. Also various plastics can absorb odors and release them slowly over the years. That may be part of the issue.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
If an off-shore dump is not possible, you might just have to sacrifice a shop-vac and do your own pump out.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
If an off-shore dump is not possible, you might just have to sacrifice a shop-vac and do your own pump out.
That’s what I had to do when PO failed to pump out a full holding tank before sea trial & haulout for survey. The boat sat on blocks for 6 weeks in 90+ degree temps. Needless to say, it was a mess to deal with when I had it transported to my local yard for another 6 weeks of work. I removed all cushions and anything else that could absorb odors, vacuumed the tank and flushed the tank & hoses multiple times with disinfecting detergents, thru the tank inspection port. I wiped every surface including cabinets & bilge with a mild bleach solution & disinfectant sprays. Finally, after a few weeks of airing with the help of fans, I eliminated the odors. The cushions required cleaning and several days of airing in sunshine. Nasty job, but it had to be done. One thing for certain, the boat was cleaner than ever, when I finished. Because you had a spill in inaccessible areas, it’s going to be a tough job.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
It's almost guaranteed that you had the overflow because the tank was pressurized due to a blocked tank vent...the air displaced by incoming flushes had no place to go. You won't be able to pump out either, because without a source of air (the vent) to replace contents as they're sucked out, the pumpout will pull a vacuum that won't allow it to remove more than a gallon or two.A particularly strong pumpout can even implode a tank. So the first thing you need to do before even thinking about using the toilet again OR pumping out the tank is, clear the vent. So I"d put a hold on the hose replacement till you clear the vent.

The two most common locations for a vent blockage are the vent thru-hull and the other end of the vent line--that end of the hose and the vent fitting on the tank. Start by cleaning out the thru-hull...use a screwdriver blade, ice pick--whatever works. If that doesn't result in a spew out the vent (it won't because you've already relieved the pressure in the tank) , you'll need to relieve the pressure before removing the vent line from the tank to clean them out...so open the deck pumpout fitting VERY CAREFULLY with a hose at the ready. Be sure you're UPwind of it! Scrape out that end of the vent line and the vent fitting on the tank...reconnect the vent line.

If there's a filter in the vent line, remove it...once a filter gets wet--which can happen when a tank is overfilled or even due to heeling--the charcoal swells and blocks the vent...one of the reasons why vent filters aren't recommended for use on most sailboats.

As for cleaning up the mess in the bilge: a power washer and plenty of detergent and water, followed by THOROUGH rinsing should do it. I suggest you get that job done before tackling hose replacement or anything else except clearing the tank vent.

AirPure is a product that can help with odor's.
I'm pretty sure you mean PureAyre. PureAyre It is NOT a cleaning product...it won't work unless the source(s) of the odor(s) have been eliminated.

--Peggie

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
If you have an inspection port this might work. I've used a shop vac that was on it's last legs for urine but this might be better for your application. The guzzler 500 series hand pumps can be used for molasses according to their website so I'm guessing those may also be upto the task. Still, the one in the pic below is relatively inexpensive so it's not the end of the world if it doesnt work out.
My yard has a couple of contraptions for dealing with heads. One is a professionally build one that's built into a trailer and the other they made with a pump and 55 gallon drum. The marinas around here also work with a company called HoneyJug that pumps out boats for a fee
1642205420684.png

I am literally scraping my arms raw around the access panel frames
Put tape all around the edges to save your skin

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
I should have added to my previous post: You're welcome to send me a PM if you'd like my one-on-one help in dealing with this problem.

--Peggie

Jan 12, 2022
Beneteau 373 Seattle
It's almost guaranteed that you had the overflow because the tank was pressurized due to a blocked tank vent...the air displaced by incoming flushes had no place to go. You won't be able to pump out either, because without a source of air (the vent) to replace contents as they're sucked out, the pumpout will pull a vacuum that won't allow it to remove more than a gallon or two.A particularly strong pumpout can even implode a tank. So the first thing you need to do before even thinking about using the toilet again OR pumping out the tank is, clear the vent. So I"d put a hold on the hose replacement till you clear the vent.

--Peggie
Wow, thank you, Peggie. I had not even considered a vent block, but you were most certainly correct. It actually explains a lot. Today I scraped away at the thru hull vent and lo and behold a hiss of dirty air was followed by a small stream of black water. I did not remove the tank end of the line as the blockage seemed to have been remedied, but I will upgrade & replace that too when I do the hoses.

As for cleaning up the mess in the bilge: a power washer and plenty of detergent and water, followed by THOROUGH rinsing should do it. I suggest you get that job done before tackling hose replacement or anything else except clearing the tank vent.
I spent a number of hours yesterday going through about ten cycles of power washing, using cleaning materials, rinsing, and shop vacccing the water out of the bilge. It does seem to have mostly removed the waste as it smells pretty fresh in there today. Thank gawd!

I should have added to my previous post: You're welcome to send me a PM if you'd like my one-on-one help in dealing with this problem.
I really, really appreciate your offer and everyone else's help too. It's been fantastic and reassuring. I was definitely feeling overwhelmed. I'll take you up on that if I have to but know you are busy helping many like me here and elsewhere! In the meantime I've ordered your book per the many recommendations on various threads.

If you have an inspection port this might work. I've used a shop vac that was on it's last legs for urine but this might be better for your application.
That's a good idea and in line with what others have recommended. One question: what do you do with the waste you are pumping out? I suppose there must be an easy answer as folks are using those mobile toilets. I think for now I am just going to suck it up and spend a couple days to get out to a place where I can discharge with my macerator. I don't really want to even run the risk of spilling c**p all over my precious, new-to-me boat again. Who knows, the trip will probably even end up being fun!

I'm assuming - and anyone correct me if I'm wrong - that I will have no issues dumping offshore now that the vent is cleared. Then I will just really minimize bathroom usage until such a time as a qualified professional can help me replace the hoses and, more pertinently, actually connect the g'd things.

Thank you again everyone!

Aug 28, 2006
Bavaria 35E seattle
there are pump out stations installed by the state all around the sound. I don't know where you're docked but Shilshole even has a separate one for porta-potties, so you could possibly transport what you have there. But look online. You'll see a map of all locations around Puget Sound. Also, consider buying an inexpensive Ozone generator on Amazon. That works for ridding odors.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
I should have added to my previous post: You're welcome to send me a PM if you'd like my one-on-one help in dealing with this problem.--Peggie
My offer isn't limited to just helping you solve this problem...I'd love to help you work out the best way to route the new plumbing and venting and what to buy. So give me a shout when you're ready!

--Peggie

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
One question: what do you do with the waste you are pumping out?
Pump it into a 5 gallon bucket and either get rid of it at a pump out station, portapotty or if you're really careful, a toilet. Im guessing any portapotty company can also help you out for a small fee