what did you learn to sail on????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 37-cutter, '79 41 23' 30"N 82 33' 20"W--------Huron, OH
When I lived in NY in the late 60's I would visit a friend on a Connecticut lake. He had a Force Five at the dock. I was always first out at the poker table. Off to the dock I would go. After many years of power boats including racing my Speedliner I was amazed at the rush of sailing. Been sailing ever since.

Attachments

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
Bought a Sunfish clone in 1995, with no clue. Studied a bunch on the books, and was in St. Thomas two months later. One short lesson at the resort on a little Escape Rumba or similar and the rest is history...

Nov 16, 2010
Catalina 22 Mactaquac Headpond
My humble start

Started sailing on a friends 18' O'day and wound up buying a Peregrine for the next season. By the end of that one had my C22. Next season sailed both and now just the C22.

But I do get to sail my friends boats from time to time, (Wayfarers, Cygnus, Independent 20 etc)

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
We built a Moth...

When they announced they would dam the creek in Rock Cut Park northeast of Rockford, Illinois, Dad asked if I would like to build a sailboat with him. I was willing, so he ordered plans for a Moth (similar to the one design Butterfly) and we visited the local sawmill to order different exotic kinds of wood - marine plywood for the shell, Mahogany for the stern and the centerboard, oak for the keelson, cedar for the spars, and we worked through a winter.

The next spring, we put the boat on a trailer, and took it out to the new lake to sail. Playing winds off hills on a small lake when the best winds often precede thunderstorms or worse is a hard way to learn! But we turned that Moth over, until we learned how to sail it.

Later, while at Navy OCS in Newport, my pregnant wife and I sailed Rhodes 19's on Narragansett Bay (I don't think she realized then that she was the Admiral.) Racing Sunfish in Key West taught me more about sailing than any other teacher.

Nov 9, 2008
Pearson-O'Day 290 Portland Maine
Bought my Lancer 25, no trailer, no truck, no experience. Studied all winter, took a USCGA Sailing and Seamanship class at a local college and hit Saco Bay that spring. We've had many launches, many adventures and a few mishaps, a couple groundings in the past two years.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
I got rides on friends' boats when I lived in the SF bay area duing the 70's.... Even tho I didn't learn a lot from them I developed a since of curiosity. No one in my family sailed.... being fishermen and hunters... but my dad was an Air Force aviator and helped me to understand navigation.

Anyway... about 20 years ago, after some disastrous small boat rental experiences, I enrolled in sailing classes at the Mission Bay Aquatic Center. All the book studying and article reading I'd done previous was nothing compared to having a live instructor to push you to new levels...... That's why I recommend it so highly... to get some formal instruction.... it's like skiing... you can spend a lot of time trying to figure it out yourself..... or you can get an expert to get you there right away.

At the MBAC, beginners start on Sabots... singe handed... which develops great confidence and an awareness of how weight position affects a boats performance. They progress through intermediate level small boats... Lasers, Holder 14's, Hobie 16 beach cats, and finally there are a series of keel boat classes available on the J-24.

To answer your question though, my first sailboat ride was on a friend's Columbia 29(or maybe it was a 26?) in SF bay in 1975.

Jan 14, 2010
ODAY 22 LAKE ONTARIO, NY
In the mid 60's I bought a pocket book, How to Sail, after reading it about a hundred times my brother and I convinced our father to buy us an O'Day Kitten, a 10'2" sailboard. We sailed it for a lot of years on the Long Island Sound. It was a great little trainer. All of the bigger boats that I have sailed since then seem a lot easier to sail.

Tim R.

May 27, 2004
Caliber 40 Long Range Cruiser Portland, Maine
In the 70s on a mirror dinghy that my dad and I built.

Oct 18, 2007
Macgregor 26S Lucama, NC
On a 16 foot whitewater canoe- built a bolt-on sailing rig with rudder, leeboards, mast, boom, mainsail and jib- and it worked! Sailed that occasionally for about 20 years, then talked my Boy Scout troop into building rigs to make 3 sailing catamarans out of our 6 canoes. Once we built the rigs, 12 of us took a 60-mile sailing trip on the Roanoke River and Albemarle Sound over a 5-day period. The bug had me good by then. -Paul

May 23, 2007
Catalina Capri 22 Albany, Oregon
Learned the basics at about 10 when Dad bought a 1970 (?) Bristol Corsair 24 in New York. Passed the USCG basic boater course, with my folks, at that time. Crewed on a Turnabout a few times at my grandparent's in Mass over the next few summers, plus annual cruises on the Bristol. We moved to Oregon in 1977 and Dad left the boat in Maine; I stayed here when they went back in 1981.

Fast forward 22 years, to 1999; I spent a week sailing with Dad on the Bristol. It all came back pretty quickly though I almost dumped him overboard because I turned downwind instead of upwind in a gust - he'd installed a wheel in place of the tiller I'd grown up with and I reacted by pushing it away without thinking. Oops!

A few years later he shipped my sister's old Laser out with some furniture. You can (re)learn a lot in a laser including that it's a young man's boat. Next up was a Catalina Capri 16.5 which had room for my wife and one or two grandkids. That boat taught me about reefing and making sure you explain things to your (novice) crew before it hits the fan. It also taught me that when the wx calls for 20+, and the only boats going out are 24 footers and up, maybe you shouldn't take a little centerboarder out too. 15 months later we bought Verboten, our Catalina Capri 22.

Verboten has probably taught me more than all the other boats combined. She's got the tall rig, so she powers up quickly, and, as a former racer, she came with more sails and lines than any boat I've ever been on - windward sheeting traveller, outhaul, cunningham, vang, boomkicker, 3 jibs and a foil, spinnaker & pole, adjustable backstay, twings for the spinnaker sheets. Plus a 4' fixed fin keel that I really don't want to thump into a submerged stump at the lake or get snarled up in kelp cruising in the San Juans (once was enough, thank you!).

Verboten still has a lot to teach me in 2011, I think. I've done some sailing in 20+ winds but not enough that I'm really comfortable. I know the boat can handle it if I get the right sail combination up, so I just need to bite the bullet and go play when the wind comes up. I also want to learn to fly the gennaker another sailor loaned me - I sold the symmetrical spiinnakers and pole, knowing I'd never use them; the gennaker seems much simpler and more user friendly than a chute & pole, especially since I'm usually sailing short handed.

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
When I lived in NY in the late 60's I would visit a friend on a Connecticut lake. He had a Force Five at the dock. I was always first out at the poker table. Off to the dock I would go. After many years of power boats including racing my Speedliner I was amazed at the rush of sailing. Been sailing ever since.
A Force Five at Moraine State Park in Pa during the early 70's. I hadn't seen one since, nice picture. Then Oday and Javelin daysailors, 16-18 footers in the mid 70's.
All U Get

r.oril

Oct 29, 2008
MacGregor 26D and Catalina 30 26 - 30 Lancaster, CA
I think it was a 21 foot Iron Wood or Iron Craft that my dad traded a piano for in 1969. The slip rental was $35 a month in Ventura. I think there was a Sabot also about the same time. No training no classes no fear.

olsalt

Nov 20, 2009
Oday 222 Oneida Lake in Upstate NY
Sunfish on Cazenovia lake, NY.

There have been many other boats since, but I still enjoy the casual every sunday sunfish race with about ten others.

Jul 13, 2010
Precision 23 Perry Hall,Baltimore County
Still Learning.My wife and I (56,61) had sailing on our bucket list for years.Last summer i signed us up for lessons at the local comm. college, Baltimore County, Md.
I found and bought us a Precision 18 to learn in after lessons.

When my Dad was growing up, he sailed Chesepeake 20`s in Annapolis in 1939-1945.My wife and i visited the West River sailing club where many of the vintage boats are still active.One Sunday, she and I are standing on the pier taliking to a couple of crews as they prepared for a race, my wife asked one captain. "Where is your motor"? Much to their amusement , I had to explain racers, cruisers etc. It was then made very clear to me that our boat WILL have a motor AND a pot -pottie!!
We are a long way from racing, but thoroughly enjoyed our first season learning.
Can`t wait for spring!!david

Jan 2, 2009
Gulfstar 50 ketch holland
On land, a R/C club came to the lake we camped at when I was 7/8 years old. One of the guy's let a buddy and me sail after the race's. My buddys dad got him a sunfish type boat a week or so latter been sailing off/on since then.I got my first boat a few years latter one of those surfboard snarks.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 46 Georgetown YB
May 1976 - Snark Mach II. It was my first major purchase from Sears.

Happy New Year to all.

Dec 3, 2010
Oday 25 N/A
I started learning on a Laser up at Michigan Tech during my last summer up there. The water was cold and I didn't have anybody to show me what to do, but after a few cold swims I figured it out. I am now a huge proponent of trial by error sailing, as long as the boat is small, they know the water, and they wear the neccesary floatation device.

RAD

Jun 3, 2004
Catalina 30 Bay Shore, N.Y.
After divorce in the early 90's I had to give up my restored Chris Craft Connie with no money a few years later I had to have something so I happen to come across a 7.5 Honda four stroke and bought it for a few hundred and then went to look for a small boat to put the motor on so I'd have something to horse around with my four kids (what was I thinking) any way I asked my business neighbor and a seasoned sailor to keep an eye out for something and he says come with me and we go down to the marina and there's his 1975 Bristol Corsair 24 that he never has time for and says I'm moving my shop and need your electrical services and we can barter this, I made the deal and that night I asked my girlfriend (now my wife) if she liked sailing and she said I don't know well she fell in love with it and after those four kids got too big for the 24 we sold it and bought our present 32 and those kids who are adults don't spend much time but my youngest kids with the new bride spend every weekend on the boat and I'm still and always learning how to sail

kenn

Apr 18, 2009
CL Sandpiper 565 Toronto
An Albacore dinghy, as part of a highschool phys-ed offering, in 1972. Earned my CYA White Sail (basic) upon completion. First "boat" I owned and sailed consistently was a TIGA Funcup windsurfer in 1983.

First "cruiser" is the Sandpiper 565 we bought 4 years ago and currently sail. Though we hope to eventually own a bigger boat, I don't envision ever selling the Sandpiper. It's just been so much boat (and fun) for the money paid.

Status
Not open for further replies.