What boats qualify as Affordable, Low Maintenance, Blue Water??

Feb 5, 2009
Gloucester 20 Kanawha River, Winfield, WV
When I read the title, my first thought was, "Affordable, Low Maintenance, Blue Water … Pick Two."

• Ha

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
I'll second the recommendation that you look at this website, and hire them to take you bluewater sailing:

And I'd start on the east coast of North America for my first self-guided experiences. Lots more places to duck into if you get into trouble. The west coast is not at all forgiving if you are travelling N and S, as capta has said.

You have said you are a loner. If that extends to your sailing, then another level of variables needs to be factored into to your decisions on which boat to buy and how to equip it.

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
1614195561169.png

OR ............................................ read this book about a army doc that walked into a marina, bought a boat, shoved off the dock and sailed to tahiti, .....had never sailed before.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
While sailing to Hawaii is relatively easy riding the winds and currents...
Here are a couple of solo sailors...

Here is a guy doing it a second time.
Sailing to Hawaii is easy, get to the trades and its all down hill. Sailing back is the hard part. You have to sail north to get over the Pacific high and then east to the coast.

I prefer to sail to Hawaii at 35,000 feet. ;)

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
That simplifies things!.... find a good Cascade 36. End of discussion.
There is a good sreason they are known as "the affordable circumnavigator".
Robert Smith NA, designer. Hull is solid layup - roving. Fast and weatherly. Get lucky and maybe even find one with the tiller. We have at least 4 friends that have done extensive cruising in one. For less $, find a Cascade 29 -- same design and build pedigree.

The only time I have endured gale force conditions, we were delivering a Cascade 36 down the west coast. Surfing down 19 footers with only the vane driving, for 36 hours, at one memorable point.

Trivia: a friend of mine that has finally downsized from sailboats to a trawler in his retirement, still raves about the fun times decades ago with his young family on his Potter, and also the great social fun of the owners' group, the Potter Yotters... :)
Found one!

Greg

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Sailing to Hawaii is easy, get to the trades and its all down hill. Sailing back is the hard part. You have to sail north to get over the Pacific high and then east to the coast.

Especially this winter (at least in the Midwest)!

Wife and I came out to Maui for a 3 week vacation and after hearing about the snow and cold weather back home, we extended for 2 more weeks...alas, I was working remote for the the 2-week extension... but up at 4:00am (8:00 back home) done working by noon or so and still had the afternoons on the beach!

Headed home this weekend though as I hear the snow is melting snd I still have some boat chores to get done before launching in April ;-)

D1E4DB21-7C77-4ECA-AFF5-190EB7DC9D32.jpeg 715DDC59-49CA-4A9C-AD87-E89AC20D41DA.jpeg 7E35EE4C-F293-4D6A-830C-C21C3E596843.jpeg

At the “office”, watching another fantastic Maui sunset and the worlds best Mai Tai!

Anyone recognize the boat anchored off Cove Park ?

It all beats this...
283170EA-F913-4EA6-AD80-F2D4710CED52.jpeg

Cheers,

Greg

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Especially this winter (at least in the Midwest)!

Wife and I came out to Maui for a 3 week vacation and after hearing about the snow and cold weather back home, we extended for 2 more weeks...alas, I was working remote for the the 2-week extension... but up at 4:00am (8:00 back home) done working by noon or so and still had the afternoons on the beach!

Headed home this weekend though as I hear the snow is melting snd I still have some boat chores to get done before launching in April ;-)

View attachment 190761 View attachment 190763 View attachment 190764

At the “office”, watching another fantastic Maui sunset and the worlds best Mai Tai!

Anyone recognize the boat anchored off Cove Park ?

It all beats this...
View attachment 190765

Cheers,

Greg
Go ahead Greg, rub it in..... :huh:

• Ha
Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR

I have done that trip on a cruise ship @ 21 kts (four days), and on a jet airliner outbound, and inside a KC-135 back to the states. Would love to make the trip on my boat, but am wondering if I have waited a decade too long. We shall see..... "The future is out there!"
:)

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Greg...
You are just making it more difficult for you to get on the plane to ride home.
:laugh:

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
I think you have chosen 3 words that are oxymorons; Affordable, Low Maintenance, Blue Water.
First, I'd like to suggest that knowing how to sail is not nearly enough to make an informed decision about a liveaboard cruiser.
If that boat is to be your home, then it must be a comfortable one for you, not me or anyone else, and that takes you getting on a lot of boats. All boats are a compromise, and what you will compromise on comes only from experience, and that is most inexpensively done by sailing on other people's boats or chartering. Buying a boat you later find is not a comfortable home can be very expensive and unpleasant.
The more realistic descriptors would be a good value, well maintained, seaworthy craft capable of safely crossing open waters—words which would not be oxymoronic. “Affordability” means nothing to a third-party observer. Who knows what another person can “afford?” Consult a financial advisor for that. We could, however, make recommendations on what might or might not be a good value vessel.

“Low maintenance” is also a meaningless search metric. Basically, all seacraft are high maintenance by landslide standards. Avoiding teak is not going to make a craft “low maintenance.” In fact, teak is on vessels b/c it is a wood that can withstand harsh sea conditions with little maintenance. The teak that receives the kind of “maintenance” you fear is on boats that rarely leave theIr slips.

Finally, the question regarding “blue water” should more generally be one of seaworthiness for crossing oceans. Often this is related to its displacement, definitely to its condition, and its “seakeeping” ability.

So, the question might be one of looking for recommendations for a mid- or heavy displacement vessel with good seakeeping characteristics, one requiring only minimal crew, two persons perhaps, that has been well maintained. Try looking at the Pearson 365. But what to look for in a well-maintained vessel? Good thread question. Maybe next.

Last edited:

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
What good it is to be here if I can’t rub in it a little
Greg,
Glad you can enjoy Maui. Beats the heck out of winter around Lake Michigan.
As for me, you couldn’t pay me to go back to Hawaii one more time. My mother in law lived on Oahu in a nursing home, and insisted she was in Michigan. She was physically healthy but Alzheimer's took its toll.
I made the trip over 15 times to help my late wife manage her mother’s medical and financial affairs. The flight alone is enough to cure me of wanting to go again. Being 6’7” and flying Chicago to Honolulu in coach qualifies as cruel and unusual punishment. Sailing there isn’t that great. I’ll stick to the Great Lakes and Chesapeake Bay.

Feb 3, 2021
West Wight Potter 19 Lloydminster
The more realistic descriptors would be a good value, well maintained, seaworthy craft capable of safely crossing open waters—words which would not be oxymoronic. “Affordability” means nothing to a third-party observer. Who knows what another person can “afford?” Consult a financial advisor for that. We could, however, make recommendations on what might or might not be a good value vessel.

“Low maintenance” is also a meaningless search metric. Basically, all seacraft are high maintenance by landslide standards. Avoiding teak is not going to make a craft “low maintenance.” In fact, teak is on vessels b/c it is a wood that can withstand harsh sea conditions with little maintenance. The teak that receives the kind of “maintenance” you fear is on boats that rarely leave theIr slips.

Finally, the question regarding “blue water” should more generally be one of seaworthiness for crossing oceans. Often this is related to its displacement, definitely to its condition, and its “seakeeping” ability.

So, the question might be one of looking for recommendations for a mid- or heavy displacement vessel with good seakeeping characteristics, one requiring only minimal crew, two persons perhaps, that has been well- maintained. Try looking at the Pearson 365. But what to look for in a well maintained vessel? Good thread question. Maybe next.
Great feed back. THANKS!!

Nov 22, 2011
Ericson 26-2 San Pedro, CA

So, the question might be one of looking for recommendations for a mid- or heavy displacement vessel with good seakeeping characteristics, one requiring only minimal crew, two persons perhaps, that has been well-maintained. Try looking at the Pearson 365. But what to look for in a well maintained vessel? Good thread question. Maybe next.
This is an excellent reframing of the question. The question really could not be answered as originally posed.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
seaworthiness for crossing oceans
:plus: with KG about the way you need to consider boat selection.

There is another factor that you may want to consider in association with "Sea Worthiness of Crossing Oceans". It is often labeled "comfort quotient" or "Comfort Ratio".

It is a metric developed by Ted Brewer which refers to the way the boat design moves through the ocean. The boats measure of comfort as it moves through/over waves.
Here is a link to provide more detail about the comfort ratio.

As others have suggested you do not know what these factors mean to you until you have experienced different boats on the waters you are planing to cruise. As an example. I bought a boat with large cabin windows (ports). The coastal cruising on the Washington / BC coasts while beautiful often the crew wakens to fog/limited visibility and chilly temps. A good heater, a cup of tea/coffee and a view (from a boat that does not feel like a cave) makes the experience comfortable while awaiting the ground hugging clouds to rise.

While this meets my present boat comfort level in my chosen sailing area, if I was planning to cross oceans these big windows would become a liability. I would need to find a way to protect the boat from seas washing across the boat, window breakage, or alter the window arrangement. Crossing an ocean instead of coastal cruising would more likely cause a change of boat to match my new aspirations.

Perhaps you should consider this boat thing as an adventure with different stages, requiring different equipment along the way.

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
Perhaps you should consider this boat thing as an adventure with different stages, requiring different equipment along the way.
Now there’s a thought. How soon do you want to head offshore? Do you really want to head offshore? I know there is a lot to see and explore here on the west coast. I’ve been sailing here, as far south as Seattle and as far North as Ketchikan, for more than 60 years and haven’t seen it all yet.

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
You are from Saskatchewan? That's about as far from any ocean as I could imagine living. Where are you going blue water sailing?

dj
Isn't blue water called ice up dar in da nort country....eh

Last edited:
  • Ha