What boats qualify as Affordable, Low Maintenance, Blue Water??

Feb 3, 2021
West Wight Potter 19 Lloydminster
Question: What boat/boats should I be looking for? I am very new to sailing. Currently learning the ropes on a Potter 19. Having a blast and cant wait to upgrade. I would like to move up to a 28 to 34 foot blue water type boat. I am not interested in teak wood and mahogany trim etc. The lower the maintenance the better. Total fiberglass would be great. Well built for blue water. Practical is what I want. Not concerned with appearance. What boats would fall into this category?

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Appearance isn't your only concern. You will have many systems to maintain. Good maintenance history would be your best bet.
One of the previous owners of Bella replaced all of the brightwork topside with composite. Zero maintenance and yet I am constantly working on her.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
Question: What boat/boats should I be looking for? I am very new to sailing. Currently learning the ropes on a Potter 19. Having a blast and cant wait to upgrade. I would like to move up to a 28 to 34 foot blue water type boat. I am not interested in teak wood and mahogany trim etc. The lower the maintenance the better. Total fiberglass would be great. Well built for blue water. Practical is what I want. Not concerned with appearance. What boats would fall into this category?
You are from Saskatchewan? That's about as far from any ocean as I could imagine living. Where are you going blue water sailing?

dj

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I think we need to know more about how you want to use the boat. Every boat design is a compramise.... for example, my present boat (I've owned many) is a Hunter 26. It has a large cockpit and an open transom. Very nice at anchor for entertaining... easy to swim and get back in the boat... I would say my boat is optimized for coastal cruising and gunkholling....absolutly the wrong boat to be in if caught in a gale with following seas but people have sailed them to the Bahamas etc. When you say blue water... are you looking for a boat that you would feel safe in on a two or three day passage???? or one where you might be away from a port for more than a week? With modern weather forecasting, the boat-compramise equation changes drastically once you get beyond 3 days from port. If you need to survive a Nor'Easter at sea... with the potential of a roll over, then the boat you need is going to be narrow, cramped with a deep (and small) cockpit with robust system, heavy construction and a full length keel. The boat is also likely to be slower so your chance of getting caught in the gale increases. If your adventures are limited to a few days at sea at a time, you can start thinking of a more comfortable boat that is also faster (so you can stay clear of the bad storms).

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Welcome @Prairie Virgin Sailor to the world of sailing. The WestWight Potter is an excellent trailer pocket yacht and right there in your wheel house for low maintenance sailboat. I put many water nautical miles and road miles coastal cruising on my 15ft Montgomery.

Seeing as you are in Lloydminster you are right equidistance (at approximately 1220km) from any waters that might consider a "Blue Water" boat practical. Blue water boats are not normally considered by their owners Low Maintenance toys. The moment we begin to ride them hard and put them away wet, they begin to break down and become unreliable. That is just not an acceptable consideration if you go any distance off shore. Surviving on Blue Water is a life of constant inspection, maintenance, and suspicion that something is wrong. YouTube videos are great in showing the blue water fun in the sun, bathing suits and tropical drinks. Sailing a blue water boat is more like the movie "All is Lost" at times. It is those times you discover if your constant concern with maintenance is validated.

Here is a link to blue water boats on the web

Perhaps you'll find your boat here.

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
CAPE DORY
1614181476893.png

any more questions? please send lots of pictures from the trip. we like pictures.

Jan 19, 2010
Welcome @Prairie Virgin Sailor to the world of sailing. The WestWight Potter is an excellent trailer pocket yacht and right there in your wheel house for low maintenance sailboat. I put many water nautical miles and road miles coastal cruising on my 15ft Montgomery.

Seeing as you are in Lloydminster you are right equidistance (at approximately 1220km) from any waters that might consider a "Blue Water" boat practical. Blue water boats are not normally considered by their owners Low Maintenance toys. The moment we begin to ride them hard and put them away wet, they begin to break down and become unreliable. That is just not an acceptable consideration if you go any distance off shore. Surviving on Blue Water is a life of constant inspection, maintenance, and suspicion that something is wrong. YouTube videos are great in showing the blue water fun in the sun, bathing suits and tropical drinks. Sailing a blue water boat is more like the movie "All is Lost" at times. It is those times you discover if your constant concern with maintenance is validated.

Here is a link to blue water boats on the web

Perhaps you'll find your boat here.
That is a fun URL and many fine boats there. I'm not sure I would have included so many with exposed rudders and exposed props.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Oh... Jon that is a clever response.
Just look at this 1982 Cape Dory for sale.
The cockpit in color not black and white....
CapeDory.jpg

No teak maintenance here... LOL

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I think you have chosen 3 words that are oxymorons; Affordable, Low Maintenance, Blue Water.
First, I'd like to suggest that knowing how to sail is not nearly enough to make an informed decision about a liveaboard cruiser.
If that boat is to be your home, then it must be a comfortable one for you, not me or anyone else, and that takes you getting on a lot of boats. All boats are a compromise, and what you will compromise on comes only from experience, and that is most inexpensively done by sailing on other people's boats or chartering. Buying a boat you later find is not a comfortable home can be very expensive and unpleasant.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Your question or some variation of it is possibly the most frequently asked question of new members on a sailing forum. There is at least 2 or 3 threads a month on this topic.

As @capta said, you will be living on the boat so a boat that is livable for you is perhaps the most important criteria. The second biggest criteria is a boat from a known and reliable builder.

Feb 3, 2021
You are from Saskatchewan? That's about as far from any ocean as I could imagine living. Where are you going blue water sailing?

dj
Ha ha, I'll admit ... there are not a lot of blue water sailors in Saskatchewan. My intent is to purchase a boat on the West coast ( I am retired), probably sail up and down the West Coast and then maybe eventually to Hawaii. If I make it that far ... who knows after that??

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
wipe the teak with oil once a month. easy peezee, if that's the look you want, or let it go natural grey for fifty years. teak is low maintenance John

Feb 3, 2021
I think we need to know more about how you want to use the boat. Every boat design is a compramise.... for example, my present boat (I've owned many) is a Hunter 26. It has a large cockpit and an open transom. Very nice at anchor for entertaining... easy to swim and get back in the boat... I would say my boat is optimized for coastal cruising and gunkholling....absolutly the wrong boat to be in if caught in a gale with following seas but people have sailed them to the Bahamas etc. When you say blue water... are you looking for a boat that you would feel safe in on a two or three day passage???? or one where you might be away from a port for more than a week? With modern weather forecasting, the boat-compramise equation changes drastically once you get beyond 3 days from port. If you need to survive a Nor'Easter at sea... with the potential of a roll over, then the boat you need is going to be narrow, cramped with a deep (and small) cockpit with robust system, heavy construction and a full length keel. The boat is also likely to be slower so your chance of getting caught in the gale increases. If your adventures are limited to a few days at sea at a time, you can start thinking of a more comfortable boat that is also faster (so you can stay clear of the bad storms).
Great feed back. Thanks. Ok, my general plan is as follows. I want to buy a boat on the west coast, would be my next step. Sail up and down the west coast to more develop my sea legs. Upon achieving a comfort level, maybe a sail to Hawaii. Following that, who knows. I could easily see me doing coastal day cruising following a lengthy passage from "A" point a to point "B". For example, sailing from Hawaii (or Vancouver) to Mexico. Hang out there for a bit and then on to Panama. Cross over to the Atlantic Caribbean and hang out there for a bit. Then maybe come back up the east coast. This is a VERY BROAD overview of my plans, but for now, that is what I am thinking about. Would like to consider a boat that could accommodate these goals. Safety at sea is much more important than speed and hosting guests in a comfortable and luxurious setting. Truth be told ... I am more of a loner than a social butterfly.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Ha ha, I'll admit ... there are not a lot of blue water sailors in Saskatchewan. My intent is to purchase a boat on the West coast ( I am retired), probably sail up and down the West Coast and then maybe eventually to Hawaii. If I make it that far ... who knows after that??
After a bit of research, I think you will find that the west coast is one of the most dangerous and difficult places to sail. Much better to head off to Hawaii ASAP, as that is a voyage a lil old lady in a bath tub can do without even a compass, if you begin from around LA.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
You initially said "I am very new to sailing". Why don't you go sailing with one of the various folk that will take you on ocean legs and teach you about sailing as well as you getting a feel for if you really would like to spend the money ona boat of this caliber. One that comes to mind is Amanda and John Neal at Mahina Expeditions - Offshore Cruising Instruction, Sailing Expeditions, Expedition Brochure

There are more folk doing these kinds of things, they are simply at my fingertips at the moment.

I'd really recommend doing something like that before buying a boat. Living and sailing on the ocean is not really as romantic as one may think.

dj

Jan 19, 2010
Great feed back. Thanks. Ok, my general plan is as follows. I want to buy a boat on the west coast, would be my next step. Sail up and down the west coast to more develop my sea legs. Upon achieving a comfort level, maybe a sail to Hawaii. Following that, who knows. I could easily see me doing coastal day cruising following a lengthy passage from "A" point a to point "B". For example, sailing from Hawaii (or Vancouver) to Mexico. Hang out there for a bit and then on to Panama. Cross over to the Atlantic Caribbean and hang out there for a bit. Then maybe come back up the east coast. This is a VERY BROAD overview of my plans, but for now, that is what I am thinking about. Would like to consider a boat that could accommodate these goals. Safety at sea is much more important than speed and hosting guests in a comfortable and luxurious setting. Truth be told ... I am more of a loner than a social butterfly.
Given what you just told me... if you were one of my kids asking this same question I would recommend doing it in steps. Get a well maintained mid-sized boat and do the port hopping thing up and down the coast for a year or two. Once you have learned what you really need/want in a boat, sell your coastal hopper and get your next boat.

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
Great feed back. Thanks. Ok, my general plan is as follows. I want to buy a boat on the west coast, would be my next step. Sail up and down the west coast to more develop my sea legs. Upon achieving a comfort level, maybe a sail to Hawaii. Following that, who knows.
That simplifies things!.... find a good Cascade 36. End of discussion. :)
There is a good sreason they are known as "the affordable circumnavigator".
Robert Smith NA, designer. Hull is solid layup - roving. Fast and weatherly. Get lucky and maybe even find one with the tiller. We have at least 4 friends that have done extensive cruising in one. For less $, find a Cascade 29 -- same design and build pedigree.

The only time I have endured gale force conditions, we were delivering a Cascade 36 down the west coast. Surfing down 19 footers with only the vane driving, for 36 hours, at one memorable point.

Trivia: a friend of mine that has finally downsized from sailboats to a trawler in his retirement, still raves about the fun times decades ago with his young family on his Potter, and also the great social fun of the owners' group, the Potter Yotters... :)

Last edited: