Westerbeke W20B Won't Start

Sep 15, 2013
Catalina 270 Baltimore
Interesting. The PO told me he had an engine problem with the boat. He took it too a reputable Annapolis mechanic. They rebuilt the injection system (3K according to him) but the actual problem turned out to be "something else". He never told me what that something else was. There is a circuit that powers the lift pump through the closed oil pressure switch. According to Westerbeke that fools a lot of people, including mechanics. Mine is OK.
I normally start the engine at idle throttle. It always started fine. I gave it some throttle when I tried to start it yesterday.
How do you start it with WD40 and what does that do?

Jul 23, 2009
Beneteau 31 Oceanis Grand Lake, Oklahoma
WD40 is used like starting fluid. It is a flammable oil and will burn when introduced into a diesel engine. Spray it into the intake while someone else is cranking the motor and controlling the throttle. If/when it starts stop spraying. I would use half throttle or more. Make sure the batteries are full charged. If you have a heat gun use it to blow hot air onto the intake manifold for a minute or use a hairdryer for a little longer to preheat the engine.
Be sure to let the starter cool down if it starts to get warm. Three minuets between extended cranking secession.

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
This sounds like a blocked fuel line between the tank and the Facet. Have you checked the fuel pickup tube in the tank. Have you run the facet pump into a pail to see the amt of fuel pumped? It should be significant. Put some clear tubing from the injector pump inlet to the next clamp point and see if air is present. If so, keeep moving the clear tubing upstream until clear fuel is observed.

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
A seldom checked but a common culprit is your exhaust. Occlusion within the riser ( from salt water incrustation) will cause back pressure. If there is no escape for exhaust gasses, there is no intake of air to support combustion. Diesels operate like a fire triangle.... fuel, air and compression. removal of one means no start or run

Sep 15, 2013
Catalina 270 Baltimore
Thank you all for your input. I did one last experiment. I pulled the fuel line off the output of the Racor and stuck it in a jug of fuel. I started the lift pump and it still made the clacking noise. I did replace the lift pump to no avail. Also I replaced the exhaust riser 3 years ago so I have to guess exhaust blockage is not the problem. I called the mechanic again. He said he never got my first message. He will look at the engine this week. I will report back on what he finds.

Sep 15, 2013
Catalina 270 Baltimore
Update. The mechanic looked at the engine and determined the injection pump is broken and needs a rebuild. He is researching the most cost effective way to do this. He said this was the first Westerbeke injection pump he saw go bad. Lucky me.

RitSim

Jan 29, 2018
Beneteau 411 Branford
I had a no-start problem with a Catalina 30 Universal engine. Finally took each injector out of the engine but still connected to the high pressure fuel. Ran starter for about 30 seconds until each injector was spraying fuel. One other thin you can do is put a small length of clear PVC tubing from the hardware store in the fuel line on the feed to the high pressure pump. You should not see bubbles. Be sure to remove the tubing section when done troubleshooting.

Sep 15, 2013
Catalina 270 Baltimore
He saw the same thing I did. Injection pump not squirting. I am now looking for ways to get this rebuilt correctly and inexpensively. A new one from W is 1700.00.

Sep 15, 2013
Catalina 270 Baltimore
Update. The injector pump is out and it is at the rebuilding shop. Estimate for the rebuild alone is around 650.00. I will keep you all posted.

Sep 15, 2013
Catalina 270 Baltimore
My mechanic uses a company called Baltimore Diesel. It is a general diesel shop. I don't have exact info yet. Hopefully it will be around the original estimate. The Westerbake service manual does not break down the injection pump to a component level. It is on of those "not user serviceable" things.

Jan 4, 2013
Catalina 270 Rochester, NY
That's nice to know a general diesel repair shop can handle a little Westerbeke if the need ever arises. You're estimate of $650 isn't bad at all compared to some of my car repair bills.

Sep 15, 2013
Catalina 270 Baltimore
Update. The Injection pump is back from the rebuilder and back in the engine. The engine has never run better. The mechanic did a twaek that I have to get used to. He said the idle was too high (1000RPM) and lowerd it to 700 RPM. In order to start the engine I have to bump up the throttle a notch. It used to start at idle but does not anymore. One advantage of a lower idle speed is docking is a little less dramatic. I took the boat for a spin around the harbor and it ran very well. I don't have the invoice yet but he said the rebuilder only charged him 400.00 to rebuild the pump. Two parts had to be replaced. I was worried about this mechanic in the beginning but he turned out to be honest and competent and get the impression he was looking out for my money like it was his. I am very happy with him and he is my mechanic from now on. So I got about 3 weeks left of this season and I better do something with it!

Sep 15, 2013
Catalina 270 Baltimore
Also. Anyone with a Westerbeke W20-30B knows about the squirrely circuit that connects the oil pressure switch, lift pump and sonalert alarm. There is a pull up resistor involved and I could never really get zen with it even though I have an electronics background. The mechanic took one look at it and ripped it out and rewired it. He basically said it was stupid. The OP sensor stil works and the "crickets" I previously had are gone. This was done during the initial diag period and I don't think he spent more than an hour on it.

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
a friend of mine w a VERY old westerbeke in a very old Sabre told me that she was experiencing terrible fuel starvation / engine dying problems. after 2 trips, her mechanic found that her particular WB has TWO (primary/ secondary? ) fuel filters not just one -- her mechanic discovered the well hidden secret filter and changed it out. that cured her fuel starvation problem. it's a cheap fix and worth a try...

Sep 15, 2013
Catalina 270 Baltimore
a friend of mine w a VERY old westerbeke in a very old Sabre told me that she was experiencing terrible fuel starvation / engine dying problems. after 2 trips, her mechanic found that her particular WB has TWO (primary/ secondary? ) fuel filters not just one -- her mechanic discovered the well hidden secret filter and changed it out. that cured her fuel starvation problem. it's a cheap fix and worth a try...
Nope. I'm good. The rebuilding shop found 2 broken parts in the pump and replaced them during the rebuild. Everything is running fine now. I have a RACOR and a secondary filter mounted on the engine. Both were replaced and both didn't need it. This is the "B" model and it only has one on board filter.

Sep 15, 2013
Catalina 270 Baltimore
Final update. I got the final invoice. All told the whole cost was just under $1500. The engine never ran better and I am happy with the result.