West Marine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
One of the problems with

modern merchandising is the accountant. If the inventory doesn't turn over often enough then it isn't worth the shelf space. I always enjoy being able to enter a chandlery and ask for some obscure item and have the man ask what size and how many do I want. When I go to West Marine and ask for some item that is not in the catalog index most of the time I just get a blank look and an atitude from a clerk the age of my grandchildren wondering why anyone could posibly need something like that. There was a time that shops were staffed by men who were too old to work in the yard so they were moved inside to mind the store. They knew where you could find a bushing and the matching key for adapting a 7/8 bore propeller to a 3/4 inch shaft. You need a new shackle for your anchor and some seizing wire to go with it? yes sir, right over here. What size shackle? I'm surprised that you still have these. Well we bought a box back in 1965 and these are all that we have left. Yes, That price is right. We don't change the price just because the calender changes. That's what I miss when I go to West marine. Now what I abhor is paying double the price for a roll of masking tape that I buy regularly at my paint supplier. I can buy from McMaster-Carr including shipping cost fasteners at 1/2 the cost of those from West Marine.

S

Steve W (NY)

Big surprise for me

Back in the late 80's Boat US was a place you felt wanted. Great prices, advocacy for our sport, good insurance rates. I was loyal as they come. The UPS truck would bring me packages weekly at work. In 94 I got married and have since had three kids. Sailing wasn't happening. But I just bought a sailboat and I assumed things were still about the boater at Boat US. I got my membership, and then went into the new (to me) store. Holy Schnikees. Everything in the store was gold plated. I love local shops, but ironically, the local marina has just as cheap prices, more knowlegeble staff, and willl order me anything I want. Just to give you an idea, I needed a replacement tiller for my sailboat. 129 at West Marine / Boat US. Catalina Direct 59.95 Defender $63, and 74 dollars ordered by my local marina. WM, are you kidding me? What would you do? Take Care Steve

S

Shaun

Rob - WM provides outstanding service

Rob, First - I was in your WM 18 months ago - helping out my father in law in getting his flying scott ready for a race.... you provided outstanding service. Second - WM is not the cheapest provider but is one of the best provider of service and advice.... my belief is that quality service should come with a price and I do not mind paying for it through the product cost. I have never run into a WM staff member that was not willing to go the extra mile in trying to find solutions for the unusual issues that large sailing boats throw at us... I do buy from other outlets but also make a point to buy from WM when the items I end up buying are due to the quality assistance in solving my problems. Bigger can be better ... and WM tries.

Oct 25, 2005
Catalina 30 Banderas Bay, Mexico
I have mixed emotions about WM. I used to shop at store #1 in Palo Alto and the manager at the time lived in the same marina that I did. Many of the employees were working there to get the employee discount on the stuff they need to refit their own boat. Company policy was to have as few full-time staff as possible to reduce costs. West started negotiating with suppliers to get lower prices and in some cases became the sole distributor of some brands. My local chandlery could not even buy some items at any price. In other cases West bought in such huge volume that they sold at retail for close to cost for an independent store. After 30 years the local guy could no longer compete and the store closed. The same thing that is happening with Wal-Mart will happen with marine stores. If a supplier won't sell at the price that West or Wal-Mart wants to pay, they lose the entire North American market, since the little stores don't do enough volume to support the product. Just like Wal-Mart you find more and more items on West's shelves that are low-bid Chinese knock-offs of good quality parts. The old parts were built to last 20 years, the new parts are built to sell at a high margin since they look like the real thing to the unsuspecting. Most people don't mind paying for service, quality and knowledge. If you don't have all of those all you have to sell is price. Now that West is no longer selling on price, what do they offer? It amazes me that people are so concerned over price that they knowingly support companies that source parts from $2 a day labour markets. Then they have the nerve to bitch about quality and service. They get EXACTLY what they are willing to pay for.

Ken

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 22 P. P. Y. C.
Biggest should be cheapest

You would think being the biggest the buying power would be there, maybe it is but WM sure doesn't want to pass the savings on. I wonder how long Wal-Mart would last if they tried the same thing? ( I don't shop at Wal-Mart) When one can find items at a one owner store cheaper than WM something is wrong esp when that said item is the same brand and twice as high as WM. Maybe the folks at the top should take a hard look at what's going on with pricing, then again maybe they already have!! Like many here I started buying from WM when they were a small mail order outfit, but just like many others they are not the go to store for me anymore.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
Here Is Another Example

This is an $11.00 item at WM The same item is $5.00 at Lowes

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Oh dash it!!!

Can anyone get into sailing here? You've spent incredible amounts of energy dissing the one company that it ALL happen for recreational boaters. It took 20 years to get it going and working. Go do some comparison shopping and STOP complaining. Enough already...

Jun 7, 2004
Coronado 35 Lake Grapevine, TX
Not About "West Marine", but "West Marines"

I don't think this can really pertain to West Marine overall, but is really about individual stores. The West Marine that I typically shop in (Dallas store) has clearks that are obviously knowledgable about sailboats. That is a value to me, so I don't mind spending more to go there. About the middle of last year, I took a break from the work I was doing on my boat in Slidell, LA, and was "dock crawling" looking at other boats. One guy came out to chat a bit. I told him I was taking a break from my frustration with the push-pull cable on my system. He came over and took a look, then told me he worked at the WM there in Slidell, and they wouldn't have it in stock, but could order it. Yes, THAT is a value to me. On the other hand, since the store in Slidell is "no more" for now (Katrina victim), I've had to go to a nearby town. We called for directions, which they were good enough to provide on their answering system, along with their hours. We drove right out (about 25 miles), only to find they were closed for some unannounced special occasion. Last time we went down (4 weeks ago), we headed that way, and couldn't remember how late they were open, so called and got the hours (off the answering machine, again), and headed out. 5 minutes into it, my wife said "Maybe I should talk to someone to be sure they'll be there". They said they wouldn't, closing early for Mardi Gras parade. When we do go in, they don't seem to know much of anything about sailboats. Maybe we've just been unlucky, but it doesn't bode well right now. A few more visits, and it won't matter how cheap they are, we'll be looking elsewhere. I guess what I'm saying is that it all depends on the store, and how it's staffed. I will say this though, since you've asked as a coporate. If the move is towards catering as a "consumer level" store, you better start increasing floor space and variety. You won't survive if you're a "specialty store", with retail prices, and discount level help. Personally, I would rather pay the extra money, and find knowledgable people. We have plenty of discount stores available. I will also say something in defense of WM. I saw someone once post on one of these forums to "go to the WM store, and check out xyz (whatever it was). If it's what you want, buy it from zyx (competitor mail order)" Lots of folks on here pointed out that WM will match price, but I'll say something stronger. That's just wrong. If you're going to go into a store, and get their help, and use their overhead, so you can get the advantage of "hands on, in person" experience, then you owe THAT store your business. No legal thing, just an ethical one.

B

BobW

I like WM, but I admit to a serious bias.....

my oldest son is an Asst. Manager at one of their stores ;D Love the discount when he buys stuff for our boat, for sure :) And the service is top notch, of course! Cheers, Bob

OldCat

Jul 26, 2005
Catalina , Nacra 5.8, Laser, Hobie Hawk Wonmop, CO
The Web has changed the world

Point. Click. Check a few prices. Vulture for a sale. I am really happy with my WM 4000 inflatable pfd - and the vulture in me was smart enough to catch the big sale! Else the price was toooooo high. 10 more days and I am at the WM in Marina Del Rey (CA), 11 more and I am off to Catalina - in a Catalina 34, built by Catalina, to go to Catalina. I can ALMOST be over my snow grumpies!

R

Rob Hessenius

A RESPONSE

WOW- 24 hours ago, I asked what I thought was a simple question. What is the perceptuion of West Marine? I have learned quite alot from you guys. I think you might understand that I cant answer every question in this huge thread. I will try my best! Im in the understanding that there is a flow of needs and demands of all customers. Cons. 1- Prices- You are right, we are not the lowest price in the market. Im not sure being the lowest is where you truely want to be. Yes, there will always be ticket items of necessity that have a higher price than expected. It would be neat for everybody to know the true raw cost of items. When you think of your prices (what you pay) you think that there is a standard mark-up (very much un-true), it varies from product to product. There is no sinister thought behind it. There is no ideas that you as the customers are stupid and not capable of your own decisions. Please understand that I dont control prices as do anyone in the stores. 2- Stores vs Internet Tough battle to fight! No overhead, no real people, no store front, no touch-able product and more. Yes- people shop here, with no real trust. There are good ones out there, but some real slyme balls too. For every good deal out there, there are many bad ones too. Please admit to yourself how many times you or someone you love have been screwed on the net. We just dont know who is on the other end. That is all I can do tonight. I promise more in the morning. Rob

R

Rob Hessenius

I just want to add something to the people that have responded about the local issues in WI. Makingthetime- I was a good friend of Gary, Yes, he is missed. God has mysterious plans for us all. We are sorry that you treked from Oconto last Thursday and found the store closed for inventory. Our systems require us to do this. We post this notice only at the store level, maybe a email notice to all the members would be helpful for the future. I will discuss this asap. Perception is in the eye of the beholder. In Oshkosh, there is a larger set for sailboat versus, Appleton. I re did this 3 years ago. Thank you for the compliment on my store. Shaun- Im like an Elephant, kinda built like one too. I remember you. Thank you in remembering me. Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.