Well, now I've seen everything.

Dave Groshong

SBO Staff
Staff member
Jan 25, 2007
Catalina 22 Seattle
It looks super nice, robust, i just worry when the angle is slightly off, most important to me is the pin diameter, if it it correct, Bob's your Uncle. An even slight difference in pin diameter introduces much wear.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Well done! Looks amazing!

Any chance you could post the M-C links or part numbers for the bushings, for those of us too lazy to figure it out ourselves? (and clevis pin lengths, although I could eyeball that, and pins are easy to find on M-C's site).
The pins are #92401A235 , 1/2" x 1 3/4" usable length. Bushings are #2705T29 , 1/2" inside, 5/8" outside, 1" long.

@Dave Groshong : True!! I never knew the brackets were not a true 90 degrees until I saw this photo full size on my computer. This may have contributed to the welded pins failing in the first place.

Sadly, short of grinding the brackets off and having new ones made, I know of no way to make them perfect. But there is no perceivable slop in the interface between the pin and the bracket, and the pin/bushing/gudgeon fit is perfect. Going forward, it will be easy to inspect the pins for wear without removing them, just push them upward a half inch.

Mar 31, 2019
Catalina 22 12640 Rose City Yacht Club
A gentleman by the name of Jim (YouTube channel "Jim's Little Boat") posted a video on August 9th reporting that he had a pintle shear off his C22 RudderCraft rudder.

• Helpful
Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
To @Leeward Rail s point, you do occasionally see scenarios where the componds of the stainless do not agree completely with the compouds of the tig wire, and, if the Aargon bubble isnt right, the weld can look fat dumb and happy, but be anything but.
Judging by the look of the break, this looks to be the case but thats solely Ruddercraft’s call.

Mar 2, 2018
Catalina Wing Keel San Diego
I was telling my brother in law about this and he found Jim's Little Boat video on you tube about his pintles breaking off and almost loosing his rudder. So far I've had 2 break !!! They told me it's to expense to redesign and maker new ones.