Well, now I've seen everything.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
PART ONE:

Y'all might remember me saying one of my lifelines broke off effortlessly last week. Unusual maybe, but hey, they were old.

PART TWO:

So NOW, this week we went sailing up in the Florida panhandle, just ahead of all the rain and junk. It was a nice afternoon as we sailed a stone's throw off a public beach, waving and smiling to all the beachgoers. After a while, the beach ran out and we headed up and away from the shore. We had only gone an eighth of a mile or so, my wife was relaxing on the foredeck, when all of a sudden ... the farkin' RUDDER just FELL OFF THE farkin' BOAT!! :yikes: Right out of the clear blue, no warning, with a lee shore still uncomfortably close.

This is a four year old Ruddercraft I'm talking about, with 1/2" pintles, which has spent exactly sixty-two days on the water since we bought it. :huh:

I hollered "Holy SH*T!! We just lost our rudder!!" followed by "Drop the anchor! Drop the anchor!!" as I clutched the dangling tiller in a death grip, and started wrestling the assembly over the traveler and into the cockpit, while letting sheets go at the same time. I finally got it onboard, removed the tiller and got it all lashed down while Carlotta dealt with the sails. Once that was all done and a few deep breaths had been taken, I began closely inspecting things to see what on earth had just happened.

Long story short, the Ruddercraft's pintles had both broken. They are made from a piece of stainless angle with a 1/2" hole in the horizontal part, into which a 1/2" pin is inserted and welded at the top.That weld had failed. Looking over the transom I saw this:

IMG_E1202.JPG

And later I took this angle:

IMG_1203.JPG

Close up view of the pintle pin, you can see where the weld went around its circumference:

pintle.JPG

PART THREE:

We obviously couldn't sail anymore, so we needed to head back to the marina, about five miles away (dead to windward, obviously). So we fired up the trusty Tohatsu, pulled up the anchor, and put our nose into the wind.

Thirty seconds later ... the engine abruptly spluttered, coughed, and died. (Insert a very long string of expletives here.)

We spent the next half hour alternately dropping the anchor, me getting the motor running again, pulling up the anchor, setting off, motor quitting. Lather, rinse and repeat. It would idle fine, it would even allow itself to be revved to high RPM's in neutral, but kept dying when put in gear and throttled up. I kept thinking clogged jet, or bad gas, although the (ethanol free) gas was pretty new, as is the tank itself. We were just about to finally call TowBoat US when I thought hey, we have a spare spark plug on board, why not try it? I have heard of spark plugs suddenly going bad without warning, although I have never seen it, or personally met anyone who had. But I'll be dipped in snot ... this time she fired up with a vengeance, and away we went. First time for everything ... times three in one week.

Back at the dock, I jumped in the truck and ran to a nearby hardware store, where I found some 1/2" stainless bolts and lock nuts. I drilled the broken weld residue out of the pintle brackets, held the rudder in place against the gudgeons, and dropped the bolts in. After taking a quick dip in the marina's pool, we were throwing off the docklines and heading back out to the gulf, where we arrived just in time to grill some steaks and red peppers before sunset, while anchored off a deserted sandy beach, listening to Beres Hammond and sipping some Appleton's rum. We ended the cruise the next morning due to weather, but at least we ended it on our terms, not equipment failure.

And for you guys who have Ruddercrafts ... watch those welds. Better yet, remove them and get them reinforced. ;)

Last edited:

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
WOW! Quite an adventure. Glad it came out OK in the end.

Had that happen in the J/24 on the starting line once, a few seconds to go to the gun and everybody hard on the wind hitting the line. Bottom pintle sheered off - a common problem with early J/24 rudders - the retrofit kit was much more substantial. The boat bore off abruptly and barely crossed the stern of the boat to weather of me and headed straight at the committee boat. Was an exciting start. I managed to hand off the tiller, sit on the stern and throw a leg over each side of the rudder to hold it more or less straight while, using sail trim, steered by the back of the committee boat and got the sails down. We took a DNS, I think, and were done for that regatta :biggrin:

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Glad yall got stuff squared away, Gene..
Tomorrow is "Tie Up" day.. get my boat secured to handle +4 feet of water but not much wind.. Looks like we in south east Louisiana are going to catch the worst of it.

AaronD

Aug 10, 2014
Catalina 22 9874 Newberg, OR / Olympia, WA
...all of a sudden ... the farkin' RUDDER just FELL OFF THE farkin' BOAT!! :yikes: Right out of the clear blue, no warning, with a lee shore still uncomfortably close.

And for you guys who have Ruddercrafts ... watch those welds. Better yet, remove them and get them reinforced. ;)
Yowza! :yikes: Glad you handled that one OK, @Gene Neill!

I'll definitely be checking mine out ASAP. And we'll be interested to hear what you hear from Ruddercraft if you contact them. They seemed like reasonable people when I talked to them, and I'd think they will want to know.

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
holy Sh!t...............what an adventure there, yea, let us know what Ruddercraft has to say....u handled it well, as did your Admiral!...and a great lesson learned on carrying an extra spark plug!

Jul 13, 2015
Catalina 22 #2552 2252 Kennewick, WA
[QUOTE="Gene Neill, post: 1636946, member: 122322"

Long story short, the Ruddercraft's pintles had both broken.

[/QUOTE]

No Freaking way... you couldn't do that again if you tried.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Tell me you always remove the rudder when towing the boat so that potential for unusual wear is eliminated.

Sep 30, 2013
holy Sh!t...............what an adventure there, yea, let us know what Ruddercraft has to say....u handled it well, as did your Admiral!...and a great lesson learned on carrying an extra spark plug!
Yeah man, no kidding on the spark plug. I never thought I'd see one just go bad instantly like that. But it occurred to me later that Tohatsu provides two spare parts, and two only: a pull rope and a spark plug. There's a lesson in there somewhere. I'll have another one on board before we sail again. ;)

Sep 30, 2013
Tell me you always remove the rudder when towing the boat so that potential for unusual wear is eliminated.
Nope. :)

I always did remove the original Catalina kick-up rudder, but that was because of the awkward angle at which the blade was held, not out of concern for the pintles/gudgeons. I can't see those being an issue, especially now with the vertical position of the Ruddercraft's blade when raised.

If I thought towing it down the road a few days a year would hurt it, I dang sure wouldn't want to rely on it for keeping me alive at sea.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
The jostling and shifting of the rudder on it's brackets while being trailered can be much more severe than when in the water. The rudder/tiller assembly is probably a bit heavy (I say "probably", because I don't know the C22), therefore abrupt movement could be magnified in stress areas. I would definitely keep an eye on this possibility for long distance hauling.

Sep 30, 2013
The jostling and shifting of the rudder on it's brackets while being trailered can be much more severe than when in the water. The rudder/tiller assembly is probably a bit heavy (I say "probably", because I don't know the C22), therefore abrupt movement could be magnified in stress areas. I would definitely keep an eye on this possibility for long distance hauling.

It's actually more than just the weight of the rudder.

Ruddercraft's proprietary mast crutch mounts directly to the rudder stock. So you have the weight of the mast and standing rigging (one end of it, anyway) plus the weight of the telescoping stainless steel crutch, which is by no means insubstantial. Plus the leverage created by the height of the crutch. So it's a lot of weight and force, no question.

The only thing I don't trust (anymore) is the pintles. I won't be getting a new factory set. I'll be using 1/2" bolts in the future, with no welds to rely on. There was no rust on that weld in the pic above, so I doubt if my naked, untrained eye would have noticed anything amiss with it prior to the incident.

Dec 5, 2011
Catalina Catalina 22 13632 Phenix City
Glad to hear you all are OK and I look forward to watching the video! I can attest for the "sudden spark plug syndrome" as well. Mine failed me 50 feet from a dock I was trying to tie up to last year and when it went, it went suddenly, no restarting at all. I ended up raising the main sail and circling back to the dock where I went over everything on the motor and decided my problem must be electrical in nature by the way the motor just suddenly quit. I dug through the rigging/parts duffel bag, found a new plug and replaced it without dropping anything in the water and.......problem solved!

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
A good weld should be stronger than a bolt. I would definitely contact ruddercraft. They will likely want to see the original to do some analysis, change manufacturing and send you a new one. After good welding, the pieces should effectively be one piece of metal.

Scary story. Glad it worked out ok in the end.

P.s. did you wave to the beachgoers on the way back while fighting the outboard ?:biggrin:

PPS: i just emailed ruddercraft and sent them a link to this thread.

PPPS: i guarantee we wont have this problem because our boat seems destined to just sit at the dock covered in cobwebs.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2013
PPS: i just emailed ruddercraft and sent them a link to this thread.
Excellent, that saves me the time of composing an email. I can be reached at wgene67 at gmail.com, or three five two 262.2667.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Excellent, that saves me the time of composing an email. I can be reached at
I wouldnt post that publicly. Spam city. Pm them if they join the thread.
If they reply to me i will forward your contact info directly.:thumbup:

Sep 30, 2013
Here's my new pintle setup. I had the brackets welded to the rudder stock, because the bolts kept loosening up on me (I tried three different kinds of lock nuts). I bought white Delrin bushings from McMaster-Carr, in the hope they are superior to the black unknown-plastic bushings from CD. And I went with 1/2" clevis pins rather than bolts.

I'm confident in this arrangement. Something else will break before this does.

NEW PINTLES.PNG

AaronD

Aug 10, 2014
Catalina 22 9874 Newberg, OR / Olympia, WA
...I bought white Delrin bushings from McMaster-Carr, in the hope they are superior to the black unknown-plastic bushings from CD. And I went with 1/2" clevis pins rather than bolts.
Well done! Looks amazing!

Any chance you could post the M-C links or part numbers for the bushings, for those of us too lazy to figure it out ourselves? (and clevis pin lengths, although I could eyeball that, and pins are easy to find on M-C's site).