Well it’s official, No sailing this season

Aug 17, 2013
Pearson P30 202 Ottawa/Gatineau
I just received the official word from our yacht club’s president, they are closed for the season, at least it will give me more time to work on the boat and get her shipshape for next season

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
I just received the official word from our yacht club’s president, they are closed for the season, at least it will give me more time to work on the boat and get her shipshape for next season
:eek: So sorry to hear that. that really sucks :(

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
bummer, yet, make lemonade out of lemons. tweak the boat to a new level.
no sailing for me either. i sail with a crew. it's a hands on boat. no mingling, no crew, no jon sailing,
if i get north to the boat it will be a summer of varnishing. that's always an option.

good luck fred

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
No sailing. That sucks guys.
At present sailing out here will be modified. How is still unclear. Heard from Michael that sailing near the border will invite a visit form the patrols. So unless one wants to relive the days of "Prohibition and border running" it sound like now the sailing will be within the confines of the US. Still plenty of water to explore.

This too will pass. Take care and keep a positive attitude.
There should be some spectacular "eye candy" coming as you guys tweak your boats.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Bummer.... I am happy that I got my boat in the water and the marina is open with restrictions.

weather has been terrible so far, so many boat projects are getting done :p

Greg

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
Sorry to hear that Fred. Our club just informed us the province has opened access to boat yards but the city is still not letting us in. Kind of sucks your club has decided to stay closed for the summer, our club is trying to get all the clubs in the city together to put pressure on the city to at least let us get to our boats for maintenance.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Sorry to hear this Fred. The Kingston area is one of our favorite places to sail, not this year. And we had planned a trip the Maritimes, not this year.

So unless one wants to relive the days of "Prohibition and border running" it sound like now the sailing will be within the confines of the US. Still plenty of water to explore.
What do you mean, "relive" it never stopped. Have you tried to buy real Havana Club in the states? Or cigars from a certain island nation in the Caribbean? :cool:

Dec 27, 2012
Precision Precision 28 St Augustine
Very sorry to read your post. I’m glad your keeping a positive attitude. Good time to work on your boat, home and anything else to keep busy. Better days ahead.

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
Sorry to hear that Fred. Our club just informed us the province has opened access to boat yards but the city is still not letting us in. Kind of sucks your club has decided to stay closed for the summer, our club is trying to get all the clubs in the city together to put pressure on the city to at least let us get to our boats for maintenance.
It is Provincial that the marinas could work on the boats and launch, but the marinas are closed to the public. They city cannot change that.
In our area a lot of marinas have cottage boats for people that have boat-access only cottages. They take several weeks to dig them all out of storage and get them in the water. That is why they let the marinas do the work. Just in the past couple of days they now allowed people to access the marina to get to their boats and go to the cottage. Several Municipalities are opening their boat launches but to local residents only.

Word currently is that Ford will announce Thursday that we'll be able to go to the marinas and work on our boats and launch.

Fred, I'm very surprised they would be writing off the entire season. You probaly don't launch until around now anyways, so why not still launch late May / June and get the rest of the season.

Aug 17, 2013
Pearson P30 202 Ottawa/Gatineau
They say that most members are over 60 and we’re not sure when we could get the docks in, being a Coop the members have to do the work and with the shortened season they judge that the work load might not be worth it for a shorter season

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
It is beginning to look as though the Caricom Countries are not going be opening up their borders until the fall, with some exceptions for some yachts, including cruisers. There will be strict quarantine procedures, some provisioners will be allowed to shop for the quarantined vessels.
Apparently, travel between the three Grenadian islands will not be allowed without a good reason and a permit.That will put a damper on our sailing plans,
All in all, it seems more sensible to just remain on the mooring, getting jobs done. Skipping Stone should look quite spiffy if and when the customers start coming back.

Jun 3, 2004
Hunter 34 Toronto, Ontario Canada
Sorry to hear that. Our Board (National Yacht Club- Toronto) has done a great job in working through this. We have been able to go to the yard for prepping since early this month, yard boat owners set into 4 groups, based on boat positions in the yard so that no one is working next to any one. Each group scheduled every 4th day. Now if the weather would just co-operate! Launch is scheduled for first weekend in June but may get changed. How that is going to happen with keeping people distant is still to be seen.

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
Sorry to hear that. Our Board (National Yacht Club- Toronto) has done a great job in working through this. We have been able to go to the yard for prepping since early this month, yard boat owners set into 4 groups, based on boat positions in the yard so that no one is working next to any one. Each group scheduled every 4th day. Now if the weather would just co-operate! Launch is scheduled for first weekend in June but may get changed. How that is going to happen with keeping people distant is still to be seen.
I'm surprised you could do that. Being a club are you considered owners rather than public? All the marinas in Georgian Bay are closed to boat owners, but the marina can work on boats etc.

Dec 31, 2016
Beneteau Oceanis 351 Charlottetown
That sucks! Our club opens up next week, although we're not sure of how restricted it'll be as of today. We consider ourselves lucky, living on an Island, when this all came down, enter/exits were strictly enforced and not even one hospitalization.so far. Brian

chp

Sep 13, 2010
Hunter 280 hamilton
Same here for Lasalle marina in Burlington. Couldn't believe it. Hamilton is slated to open as soon as the government gives them a go.

Jun 3, 2004
Hunter 34 Toronto, Ontario Canada
I'm surprised you could do that. Being a club are you considered owners rather than public? All the marinas in Georgian Bay are closed to boat owners, but the marina can work on boats etc.
I am not sure how the board worked through all this, but they have been in constant contact with the city and the provincial Government. Our Commodore is a Fire Chief in the GTA and has done a very good job.

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
Ontario announced today that individual sports on lakes and rivers and open water are allowed. So sailing is back on while maintaining social distancing. Just have to wait until the club releases protocols that need to be followed which are prepared, just need to get approved and released at my club.