Well it happened

iSaint

Jan 1, 2009
Catalina 22 Ocean Springs
This sounds like the type of thing that would happen to me. Still sucks. Sorry for such a big loss
yeah my life is a series of such odd events. Especially after dreaming about this for so long. I’m having PTSD from the sea and my son’s actions, all of which made it a horrible experience.

Oct 20, 2014
O'Day 23-1 Lake Champlain, Vermont
I replied when you first told us about this on FB and, again, I am so sorry for your bad luck. As I recall, your boat ended up trying to rest on its keel in that shallow water until it fell over. And, indeed, it seems like it may have been one of the O'Days with the thin FB layup at the keel. Otherwise it probably should have just fallen over into the water and mud. But, in fairness to the surveyor, I don't know how widespread the knowledge of this weak point is outside of O'Day owners. It's not necessarily something a surveyor would be able to spot from tapping and inspecting the hull, etc. Owners have only found out about this the hard way and, even at that, mostly thanks to the web.

I hope your son returned your wallet and made good on the money he took. I also hope things go much better with your replacement boat. As we talked about on FB, it might be helpful for you to read up on some methods for securely setting the anchor so that you are less likely to drag in the future. It has happened to many of us, I imagine, but it sucks. Wishing you the best.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2010
Oday 322 Delaware River
I am so sorry for your unfortunate incident and loss of your new purchase. I hope insurance adequately reimburses you.

May I ask what year was your boat manufactured ? The run was from 1987 to 1989 (with a couple finished by Pearson in 1990). There is some evidence that the build of the hull was outsourced or changed vendor in 1989. Was your boat a 1989? The hull VIN number has the year and month of manufacture, and the serial number of the hull.
For instance, mine is: STRSG129G788
(STR is a code for Starcraft - an O'Day company, "SG" I don't know the meaning of, 129 is the serial number, G indicates July, "7" I believe indicates year of design creation (i.e. '87') , '88' is year of manufacture.
Thus this one was made in July of 1988.

Also, I understand you are several states away now, so this is likely not possible, but if the insurance company or the yard should by chance take pictures with close up detail of the keel stub and the tear-away where the bolts were, it would be interesting to see if there is an estimate of the depth of the keel stub layup floor. Mine measures at 15/16" of inch layup (as measured by a drill test) on the keel stub floor (bilge floor). I am guessing this hull did not have that much material. If you happen to find out more detail, would you let us know.
Much appreciated, and best wishes to you.

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
For the record: My 302 whose keel fell off in 1996 was built in 1988. There were 2 layers of glass in the keel stub, should have been 6. 15/16" of layup sounds like plenty, I don't believe mine had anywhere near that.