Well it happened

iSaint

Jan 1, 2009
Catalina 22 Ocean Springs
Not a fun trip. Picked up this 322 I’d been looking at west of Ft Myers a couple of weeks ago. Paid for survey, clean boat, engine cranks on first try every time. Needs bottom job and a few little repairs as any old boat would. Surveyor deemed her a good boat and nothing major. I even told him that I decided to sail her back to Mississippi to work on her and no one batted an eye.

Long story short we get to Longboat Key and anchor in Buttonwood. Depth is fine. Must have been blown to shallow water during storm because she sat on the bottom the second night there and slowly fell over on her side in three feet of water. Water fills the boat, I climb up on the side and call Sea Tow then State Farm to get a claim going.

Sea Tow recovers her, the keel falls off as they’re trying to lift her. Bolts and everything just pull right out.

So it’s on a yard as you can see. I can’t imagine it being repairable given the value of the boat. To top it off my crew disappeared (my 21 yr old son) the night of the sinking to party with some guy he met. Whole ‘nother issue there. Certainly didn’t make the trip a fun one. And honestly, I had an uncomfortable feeling the entire time.

It wouldn’t be my life if it weren’t so exciting.

Please, no abuse or questioning my decisions.The yard and the Sea Tow guys said “I’ve never seen that happen before!” I’ve heard that phrase many times my life.

Fortunately I was near a friend who put me up in an empty condo and kept me fed for a few days. Now home waiting to hear from State Farm.

8AF902C4-E333-487D-84B2-EE91DC7D1CD6.jpegE8CF27DB-7198-401A-A602-E0E7AE2883DC.jpegC7108E04-F266-4A5C-868C-BE7D0BBCB6BA.jpeg

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Is there a question? :)

I imagine it would be totaled. I hope your insurance coverage is good.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Bummer, glad you are alright, stuff can be replaced. I always liked the 322, but seem to hear about keel issues.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Wow; sorry for this experience(s). This is what the insurance is for. At least there shouldn't be any valuation issue.

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
Was this a wing keel? A couple of decades or so ago, the charter company I worked for had a 27 O'Day with a wing keel that went aground. I wasn't on board at the time but from what I was told by the person captaining her, that when she started to heel as the tide went out the keel snapped completely off taking a part of the bottom of the hull with it. Being as that she was already aground she didn't sink very far. I'm not sure of the outcome but she never came back to the fleet.
Hoping your outcome is a good one.

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
This is under the heading of horrendous bad luck!

So sorry you have to deal with it.

May 22, 2020
Catalina 22 Iowa
That is a terrible situation. It's good that you are ok. Best of luck to you.

iSaint

Jan 1, 2009
Sounds like the same thing happened to me!

Was this a wing keel? A couple of decades or so ago, the charter company I worked for had a 27 O'Day with a wing keel that went aground. I wasn't on board at the time but from what I was told by the person captaining her, that when she started to heel as the tide went out the keel snapped completely off taking a part of the bottom of the hull with it. Being as that she was already aground she didn't sink very far. I'm not sure of the outcome but she never came back to the fleet.
Hoping your outcome is a good one.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Look at this as the best possible outcome of a bad condition. If the keel had dropped away in deep water, who knows where, and in bad weather, the outcome would have been much, much worse.

iSaint

Jan 1, 2009
Exactly! The day prior we blew up the dinghy. We set off to shore and had water coming in. Couldn’t figure out how, until the bottom completely fell out. Fifty yards from shore, fortunately.
Unfortunate series of events. Much of my life, it seems. :/

Look at this as the best possible outcome of a bad condition. If the keel had dropped away in deep water, who knows where, and in bad weather, the outcome would have been much, much worse.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Unfortunate series of events. Much of my life, it seems. :/
C'mon, laws of probability say it's highly unlikely this will be repeated again in the near future.

Time to get out there .................... buy a few lottery tickets and start looking for a new boat :dancing:.

iSaint

Jan 1, 2009
Maybe a smaller boat. And Mississippi is selling lottery tickets. I never know how to play that stuff.

C'mon, laws of probability say it's highly unlikely this will be repeated again in the near future.

Time to get out there .................... buy a few lottery tickets and start looking for a new boat :dancing:.

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
I had a 1988 O'Day 302, same thing happened, soft groundng, receding tide. The design called for 6 layers of glass in the keel stub and the builder (out-sourced) only used two. Mine was repaired and I sailed her for many years afterwards.

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
C&C 110 Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
Sorry for your "excitement." The good news is nobody was injured. It's a known problem that the "3" series O'Days have lost their keels because of insuffieicent fiberglass layup. I'm surprised your surveyor didn't know that or didn't share that information with you. Glad to hear you have insurance.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2013
Catalina 270 Baltimore
Unlucky it happened. Lucky it happened in shallow water. To make you feel better, there are similar posts on this forum where the owner had no insurance.