Wednesday is Photo Day - 2023

Phil

Feb 11, 2017
Morris Annie Haleiwa, HI
Phil. They look great. What are you using on them.
Recently switched to Total Boat Gleam glossy. Epifanes wood finish gloss was not holding up well in Hawaii and it takes far too long to dry given that it rains some almost every day here. Total Boat dries in 1 hour so I can put 3 coats on relatively fast. It appears to do better with the increased UV so far. Only downside so far is the increased VOC level. I typically knock out smaller amounts of brightwork at a shot as a result.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I was using Helsman Spar Varnish. Switched to Total Boat Gleam about 3 years ago for the same reasons. Two days, 6 coats, easy touch-ups, and it flattens beautifully erases my brush marks.

Thanks for sharing.

Phil

Feb 11, 2017
Morris Annie Haleiwa, HI
Here's a picture I shot several years ago of Haleiwa, Harbor. The harbor now has two floating docks and I should have a slip on the one shown in the next few weeks. Kolibri is currently in one of the fixed pier slips. Being able to keep my boat ~7 miles from my house is pretty nice.

f050208_003 cr.jpg

Phil

Feb 11, 2017
Morris Annie Haleiwa, HI
Heading out of town for work again on Sunday. Here's a new thing for Kolibri - Dorade boxes, cowl vents, and a mushroom vent. They are in the works and will be installed in the next ~2 weeks. Here's a pick of one of the bronze cowl vents from Davey & Co reflecting the sunset and teak patio dining table.

IMG_5727 cr.jpg

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
@Phil Beautiful! Where did you get the bronze dorades? I can see putting those in my boat to be on the horizon...

dj

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
You can reach out to their UK shop,
or you can explore their products at Fisheries Supply in Seattle ( and likely other chandlers)

Either way bring the checkbook with the deep pockets.

You May strike it rich if you scour the consignment shops. But I suspect the collectors there also know the value of a “bronze anything “ . Good luck.

Phil

Feb 11, 2017
Morris Annie Haleiwa, HI
@Phil Beautiful! Where did you get the bronze dorades? I can see putting those in my boat to be on the horizon...

dj
Fisheries Supply in Seattle. I had been hitting the consignment and 2nd hand shops in the SF Bay Area over the last ~2 years, but I never came across a matching set of smaller cowl vents. Yeah, the Dave & Co cowl vents are pricey, but I found a multiple ways to rationalize it :)

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
Fisheries Supply in Seattle. I had been hitting the consignment and 2nd hand shops in the SF Bay Area over the last ~2 years, but I never came across a matching set of smaller cowl vents. Yeah, the Dave & Co cowl vents are pricey, but I found a multiple ways to rationalize it :)
I may just have to hit the consignment shops in the Med in the near future.... ;)

dj

Phil

Feb 11, 2017
Morris Annie Haleiwa, HI
Picked up a small mushroom vent to go with the two new cowl vents and Dorade boxes. Hopefully I'll have time to install them all this week.

IMG_5740 cr.jpg

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Macgregor 26S Hobie TI Ridgway Colorado
Couple days ago on Lake Havasu Arizona. First pictures taking an extremely remote hike via the water where the only living things we saw were a Burro, Vulture and a Bald Eagle.. Contrast heading back to the marina and getting passed by 100+ mph boats
3_24_23_1s.JPG

3_24_23_7s.JPG

3_24_23_13s.JPG

3_24_23_18s.JPG

Last edited: