Wednesday is Cruising Photo Day - 2020!

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Every spring at this time, Elver season opens in our harbor. 'Glass Eels', baby eels called Elvers, find their way from the Sargasso sea, where they were born, up freshwater rivers and streams to lakes and ponds. There they will reach adulthood (10 to 20 years), and close the cycle as the adults return and spawn out at sea.

Fyke nets, highly regulated as to number and grounds, are tended at low tide. The tiny glass eels (1 to 2" long and nearly transparent), traveling upstream become trapped in the 'Cod End' of the net (a basket that can be opened and dumped into a bucket).
Elver fishermen tending fyke net.JPG

Regulations allow only a few licenses, by lottery, and open a portion of the stream so most Elvers will pass through.

Elver Fyke net .JPG

The Elvers must be kept alive. They are shipped live, mostly to Asian markets. There the baby eels are released in fish farms to grow to adult size.

Elver eels (the adults) are a delicacy in some parts of the world.

I've seen the catch price go as high as $2,000 per pound for live baby Elvers.

Last year was a bust as Covid killed market which is restaurant driven.

2021, who knows? The world may be hungry.

At night I've watched the 'dippers' dance beneath their headlamps as the tiny eels begin to run in the darkness.

LIke panning for swimming gold.

Headlamps dance as the tide, and Elvers comes in. .jpg

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
My 16 year old, Aussie Cattle Dog Rosie had a minor stroke early this week and is now having trouble walking. Last night I took her down to the beach so she could enjoy some fresh air while my daughter and wife paddled their SUPs. Here's the view from our spot on the beach when the sun dropped into the gap in the clouds.View attachment 191971
Fenris and Linda on the veranda of our AirBnB rental in Puerto Rico. Fenris is just 4 months old in this video and was five months old by the time we flew home.

The vet checked the wrong box on the form certifying her breed so we had to miss our flight and spent another week suffering in that Puerto Recan weather.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Cool. I have read about the eels before but I've never seen pics. Thanks

Phil

Feb 11, 2017
Morris Annie Haleiwa, HI
Yeah...I know it's Thursday, but I had a wonderful paddle up Anahulu Stream with my daughter and friend today. The manta rays have been hanging out in the flow as it enters the bay lately. All of the rain driven run off has given them plenty off things to eat.
IMG_2026_cr.jpg

WayneH

Jan 22, 2008
Tartan 37 287 Pensacola, FL
One of these days when I need a long break from SBO, I will post my Wednesday Cruising Photo.

And get banned until brain bleach becomes available.

Phil

Feb 11, 2017
Morris Annie Haleiwa, HI
My 9 year old nephew helped me "run up the colors" at our new house on the North Shore of Oahu. He was thrilled to use a cordless drill for the first time on a spare 2x4 in my workshop.

IMG_3345.jpg

Phil

Feb 11, 2017
Morris Annie Haleiwa, HI
OK people it is Wednesday, but it appears that CSBB has turned into the old folks home where everyone sits on their asses until they are prodded by the pushy caretaker. Get posting or you may end up in the dog house.
IMG_3363.jpg

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
I dunno Phil, that dog house looks very inviting. Since my boat is high and dry at the moment I don't have any good cruising photos, only working on the boat. Yesterday my daughter joined me at the boat and we went for a walk around a protected wet land across the road from the harbour. We found some wood ducks hanging out with a snapping turtle.
20210413_114138.jpg

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I was at the boat working on projects.

Never left the slip, this was project time. Slept on board as a couple of spring storm fronts came through Saturday early. Wind gusts in the 40's kept the singing in the rigging and sleep disrupted. Temps were in the 30's along with rain. The Wallas Heater kept the boat insides a comfortable 68.

Was able to get the 2 Barient ST23 winches, off the boat. The deck prepped and two new Lewmar EVO ST 45's installed with the help of @LeslieTroyer. After a winter of rest my 1973 Perkins fired right up. Still much too do but progress is being made and sailing is getting near.

Sunset from the companionway aboard SV Hadley on Friday evening.

IMG_1341.JPG

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
Beautiful picture, John. Did you have to fill any holes, and/or drill new ones, for those new winches?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
SFS... You know I did... The Old Barients had 6 bolt holes evenly spaced around the winch base.
The New EVO winch has 5 bolt holes asymmetrically positioned. Only one hole from the old pattern could be used. So filled all of the old holes with epoxy, then positioned the new winch and drilled new holes using the drill diagram patterned on a piece of 1/4" Aluminum. Les with his CNC machine cut the pattern in the Aluminum. We then used the patterned aluminum as backing plates. Our drilled holes were true and we assembled the winches without having to redrill the holes when fitting the winches. Bed-It-Tape applied to all of the bolts provided the bedding material.

Anxious to get the boat out on the water so I can test out the new gear.

Phil

Feb 11, 2017
Morris Annie Haleiwa, HI
Once again it is Sunday. Saturday evening I spent the night on Kolibri listening to and watching a good friends band via their live stream. They are all former studio pros who now play for "artistic outlet". You can check out the band's previous show at this link. They freakin' rip!
Here's a photo from last night.

IMG_3395.jpg