WATERLOCK MUFFLER QUESTION

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
OMG no.
My eyes. MY EYES. I CAN'T STOP SEEING IT ! ! !
Maybe if I rinse my eyes with "Holy Water".

1712458216906.png

Be Gone Devil

Aug 7, 2021
O'day 28 Casco Bay
Interesting thread. I thought I'd a few additional comments in case this type of issue comes up again.

1. The vessel does not know or care where it is, what it is or how fast it is going. The propeller is nothing more than a power absorber. The ONLY thing that matters is that the engine reaches maximum RPM and usually some number of turns above redline, depending on the manufacturer. This is the surest way to confirm that a mechanical engine is not over wheeled. By mechanical I mean that it has a traditional injection and throttle system vs. an electronic engine with mass air flow and throttle position etc. sensors. The latter affords the engineer the opportunity to determine a calculated load at a given RPM. The load, in combination with the RPM will allow closer tailoring of the wheel to the engine.

2. Propping an engine to achieve a given speed is not a wise thing to do unless you know for certain that you have the excess power to do so and you still achieve max + RPM.

3. A good propeller shop can recommend a wheel based on the propeller demand curve published by the OEM. He will usually target slightly under (to the left) of this curve so as to accommodate for increased load due to fouling, extra gear etc.

4. Any waterlift muffler can get filled with rust from the wet elbow. I just changed mine and it had about 1/2" in the bottom.

5. RPM stands for RevolutionS Per Minute. The acronym is therefore singular. "RPMs" would mean revolutions per minuteS which does not make any sense.

Aug 11, 2011
O'day 30 313 Georgetown MD
1st prize goes to: well a few of you!
To clarify, the boat performed well on a short cruise, summer of 2023. On my return to my marina, due to incredible downpours, I spent time cleaning up, packing, stowing and organizing. As previously stated, I thought I would tidy the hoses and wiring in the engine bay. One of the things I did was to re route the breather hose and placed it under the de compression lever. This was a bad move! I believe by having an ever so slight opening with the lever slightly moved, it had created less power, unburnt fuel exiting the exhaust, hard starting etc. Putting it back has stopped the discoulered exhaust, and it starts up right away. How ever this has only slightly changed the challenge of low RPM's under load. There is a lot of barnacle growth on the prop. Apparently many of my fellow marine slip holders have experienced this also and all are saying that 2023/2024 season on the Sassafras has seen much change in the speed of barnacles and bottom growth, despite freshly bottom painted hulls.
So, smack me stupid, thanks for all your input, it's always something, ain't that the truth!