water under the engine

Mar 8, 2011
Ranger 33 Shelter Island, San Diego
I have a 1978 Ranger 33. Water from the packing gland drips into what I call a pan under the engine. There is no path for the water to make it to the bilge. I have to remove the engine cover and scoop out the water. Does anyone have a safe way to get the water to the bilge? I have already drilled a hole in the bottom of the boat.
I have a new stainless steel prop shaft, a new packing seal. I am tightening the packing gland, but fear I make it too tight.
Help

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
The pan does not have a path to the bilge for one purpose. The pan is designed to contain oil and coolant drips and spills to prevent contamination. I have not seen where drilling holes in the pan would be illegal but the end result of spilling oil and coolants into the waterway is. It always seems it might be very little to be of concern but let the boat spring a diesel fuel leak when unattended and the bilge pump spills a stain of oil all around the boat and someone is bound to raise a complaint.

Jul 29, 2014
Ranger R26 Muskegon, MI
Could you rig a low profile bilge pump that pumps into a holding tank or covered 5 gallon bucket?