Water under hull continues!!!!!

Pam

Jul 28, 2016
Macgregor 1993 26x Ky lake
I think u are right. Feel pretty overwhelmed. Where do u purchase fiberglass patch kit??

Pam

Jul 28, 2016
That is a great idea. I guess food coloring would work?

Pam

Jul 28, 2016
If it is coming from the keel bolt where does it enter the boat. And when u say tear into it do u mean into the keel? I wonder if I have just purchased junk.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
If it is coming from the keel bolt where does it enter the boat. And when u say tear into it do u mean into the keel? I wonder if I have just purchased junk.
No, just a used boat. There is always some maintenance going on.

Apr 19, 2012
O'Day Daysailor 17 Nevis MN
If that's where the water is coming from it's easily repairable. You can get a fiberglass patch from any Marine supply. I've also had good results with automotive fiberglass kits available from any hardware or auto-parts store. Google will yield all the instructions you'll ever need.

Jackdaw's idea will let you know for sure if the water is coming from the ballast tank. If so, water is likely seeping past the ballast plug at the bottom of the boat rather than the keel bolt (you actually have a centerboard rather than a keel) then entering the boat through the access plate. The only time that you would need to access the centerboard bolt is if the centerboard needs repair and/or paint.

I would remove the centerboard and make sure everything is in good shape. Then replace it and patch the access hole. That should be good for at least a couple of years. Then if you ever do need to access the centerboard bolt you can add a hole to the bottom that you can plug. It won't matter if that plug leaks a little since it doesn't allow the water to enter anywhere but the ballast tank.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
As mentioned, a used boat, in fact any used boat, will have some issue(s). There have been many discussions on this forum about busted stuff, and quite a lot of the time the person goes off to acquire some widget to do some thing and misses the whole step of determining exactly what the issue is. The point here is don't run out and buy a repair kit. Find the leak, determine what the issue is, and then (and only then) get a repair strategy together.

And for what it's worth, even if there is a crack in the tank, please don't try this at home if you haven't done fiberglass before. It's really not as easy as it looks.

Pam

Jul 28, 2016
Put more adhesive around the floor hatch. Discovered the plug in the ballast tank was not fitting tight. I did not put it in. I found another one on board that fits tight. No more leaking when I checked after a couple of hours. Would loose plug cause water to come in somewhere besides at the plug?? No water around that area of plug just everywhere else.

Apr 19, 2012
O'Day Daysailor 17 Nevis MN
Put more adhesive around the floor hatch. Discovered the plug in the ballast tank was not fitting tight. I did not put it in. I found another one on board that fits tight. No more leaking when I checked after a couple of hours. Would loose plug cause water to come in somewhere besides at the plug?? No water around that area of plug just everywhere else.
If you're talking about the plug on the top of the ballast tank, right below the ladder, it won't have any effect on leaks anywhere else.

Piotr

Dec 6, 2010
MacGregor 25 Rock Hall, MD
What you have not said is how much water, and where it is. It's unlikely (although possible) that the ballast tank is leaking. The chain plates take a lot of lateral stress in this design, and if they are not bedded with good quality silicon regularly (maybe every other year) they will leak. Our C model would put 3-4" of water into the bilge, but usually only on one side, serving as a not so gentle reminder that it was time to peel the old silicon off and put new stuff on. It's a 20 minute job - if that's what it is.
I disagre. 26's are notorious for the ballast tank leaks

Piotr

Dec 6, 2010
Well, if there is a leak elswhere, a tight plug would create a vacuum and stop leak from below. Otherwise, no.

Aug 1, 2011
I disagre. 26's are notorious for the ballast tank leaks
Having owned one for 15 years and being a very active member of the second largest group of owners I can state with some knowledge that I've never heard of a ballast tank leaking.
seals and hatches notwithstanding, there's very little that could leak unless there's a flaw or damage.
Is there some threads or other detail that you have to back up this claim?

Piotr

Dec 6, 2010
Having owned one for 15 years and being a very active member of the second largest group of owners I can state with some knowledge that I've never heard of a ballast tank leaking.
seals and hatches notwithstanding, there's very little that could leak unless there's a flaw or damage.
I believe I read it on this website when I considered buying one.

Piotr

Dec 6, 2010
http://forums.sailboatowners.com/index.php?threads/water-ballast-leak.93866/
http://forums.sailboatowners.com/index.php?threads/water-ballast-over-filling.131416/
http://www.macgregorsailors.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=18917
http://forums.sailboatowners.com/index.php?threads/macgregor-leak.127738/
http://macgregor26x.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=22916
and so on....

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2011
It is somewhat unfortunate that the Mac in general is such an easy target.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
put some party pool die in the tank with the water. If the water inside your boat after is colored, its the tanks
That's the best idea I've read. Same thing you do for toilet tank testing. Only we use food coloring.
Forget the chainplates for now guys. She said it hasn't rained.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
That MIGHT stain. The pool dye will not.
I wondered about that too. Fiberglass is more porous the porcelain. Food coloring may work if it's really diluted. You want an obviously "not from around here" color. red? yellow?...no wait...