Water under floor boards

Mar 18, 2018
Beneteau 40 Huntington
I find what seems to be fresh water in my bilge and surrounding compartments. While they are linked with channels, I can't find the entry point. Checked HW heater, see nothing. Thoughts?

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
You are moored on saltwater?
A large cold front just passed, with a huge temperature drop, maybe condensation?

Wash thoroughly with a hose and look for deck leaks from there.

-Will (Dragonfly)

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Because of the structure of Beneteau’s hull and liner arrangement, it’s really hard to figure out where water comes in from until it emerges under the liner in the bilge. Water can also hide under the liner until the boat moves enough to make it run out. How often does the water seem to emerge and how much of it? Are the water tanks full?

Mar 18, 2018
Beneteau 40 Huntington
You are moored on saltwater?
A large cold front just passed, with a huge temperature drop, maybe condensation?

Wash thoroughly with a hose and look for deck leaks from there.

-Will (Dragonfly)
Thanks, Yes, moored in salt water...I think too much water for condensation.

Mar 18, 2018
Beneteau 40 Huntington
Because of the structure of Beneteau’s hull and liner arrangement, it’s really hard to figure out where water comes in from until it emerges under the liner in the bilge. Water can also hide under the liner until the boat moves enough to make it run out. How often does the water seem to emerge and how much of it? Are the water tanks full?
Moring Will,
The hull and liner arrangement does present some challenges. I can tell you that the last 2 times we sailed, I had a small amount of water under my engine battery box, completely separate from the rest of the liner, I think that is a drain issue from the fridge. The rest of the liner has about 1/4" or less in some of the liner areas, more towards the aft..... I know the boat went in dry, I clean out the bilge and liner each winter before storage. Never a big amount of water, just annoying...and frankly, should not be there. Your thoughts are appreciated....

Mar 18, 2018
Beneteau 40 Huntington
Moring Will,
The hull and liner arrangement does present some challenges. I can tell you that the last 2 times we sailed, I had a small amount of water under my engine battery box, completely separate from the rest of the liner, I think that is a drain issue from the fridge. The rest of the liner has about 1/4" or less in some of the liner areas, more towards the aft..... I know the boat went in dry, I clean out the bilge and liner each winter before storage. Never a big amount of water, just annoying...and frankly, should not be there. Your thoughts are appreciated....
Morning Dave....

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Let's see, how often do you washdown the cockpit and boat with a hose? Has it rained much in your area? Some refrigerators and ice coolers will drain into the bilge as well as the shower sumps. Other than Plumbing and water tank leaks the most common source is water that has accumulated in the hull stringers below the sole. Like others have mentioned this water will get released with boat motion and eventually makes its way into the bilge. We are talking about a good number of gallons here. Any critters aboard, some like to chew through hoses? Usually a plumbing leak will frequently activate the electric pump which can heard running even when no faucets are in use. Check the tank for a leak. Check the hoses for any of the deck scoopers or cockpit drains which might drain rain or washdown water. Check for any loose stanchion bases and rebed.

Mar 18, 2018
Beneteau 40 Huntington
Benny,
I am on a mooring so I don't wash down that often. Much of what you said makes sense...Yes, we have had rain, and I suspect there is some area where water gets in but can't see any kind of tracing/track. I listen for the water pump and it will run without my initiating it but its rare, I do agree, there may be a small pin hole someplace. Stanchions are another option to consider. I do have a water issue from the fridge, I am working on that one. This is tough to find but I will keep hunting. Thanks for the response....

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Many have used talcum powder to better track and chase leaks.
:plus: . Also, is the anchor locker drain blocked, causing overflow back into the cabin? AND, I heard J&J is going to quit making talcum powder.

Mar 18, 2018
Beneteau 40 Huntington
:plus: . Also, is the anchor locker drain blocked, causing overflow back into the cabin? AND, I heard J&J is going to quit making talcum powder.
Thanks for the tip....I am off this morning to investigate. If J&J stops making talcum powder, it sounds like an opportunity to invent a substitute, label it "marine" and make a fortune..... ;)