Water Tank

May 7, 2019
Hunter 33.5 Minisceongo Yacht Club New Yor
Found a leak in the plastic pipe connecting to the tank. Replaced the pipe and then found a leak under the tank. Had to cut the sleeping platform board to get the tank out. Found a pen size hole. I repaired it but wondering now if I should get rid of this metal tank for a plastic tank. Any advice?

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
Yes. Ronco...or some other manufacturer.

You make-up a schematic of the replacement size (they have tons of options); and, then you put all the appurtenances on it for the fill, vent, drain, etc.

It will be lot less expensive. The key is to secure the tank properly (bracing and padding); and, to make sure the hoses don't cause stress on their fittings.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
+1 My Vision 32 had aluminum water and holding tanks. I replaced the holding tank in five years and the water tank twice over nine years before abandoning the aluminum.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2014
Marlow-Hunter MH37 Lake City, MN
I had our water tank replaced on our 33.5 last year. We had the original 50 gallon aluminum replaced with a 35 gallon poly tank. The 50 had to be cut up to get out. We went with a 35 gallon tank because that's what we could get into the vee berth without tearing apart the cabin. We day sail so the loss of capacity was not problem.

Do you still have your aluminum holding tank?

May 7, 2019
Many thanks for your replies. I still have the tank and will be going there after work to check on my patch job. It its sealed, I will put it back in for use. If the leak persists, I will get rid of it and purchase a new one. Funds are a little tight at this time so I hope the patch worked. I bought 2 bands from HD to secure it back. Have to cut a new board for sleeping and I have to figure a way to brace the sides since I had to cut out the foam to get the tank out.

May 7, 2019
A quiet update. No leaks. After sanding the entire area of the bottom aluminum tank, I used JB Weld Steel to seal the hole and and other cracks apparent. The trick part was getting the tank back in place, snug and the berth board reinstalled. Many thanks to all of you for helping me through this. Next topic will be my jib sheet. See ya.

May 3, 2013
Hunter H23 Chickamauga lake
+1 My Vision 32 had aluminum water and holding tanks. I replaced the holding tank in five years and the water tank twice over nine years before abandoning the aluminum.
Do you have brand and dimensions of water tank

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
You may be able to patch it for a while, but that tanks looks a bit “rotten” around the area you patched.

I would consider replacing it, preferably at your next layup if you park the boat for the winter…that way you can enjoy sailing in the summer :)

Greg