Water tank replacement Hunter 39

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
So I have the original aluminum water tank in my 1977 Cherubini Hunter 30. It has decided to begin leaking so it looks like time to replace it.

This does not look like an easy job, as the tank appears to have been installed prior to the liner going in.

I was searching the archives but did not find much on changing water tanks in this boat, lots on black water tanks. If anyone knows of something I missed, please point me in the right direction.

Looking at this situation, it appears it will be major surgery no matter how I do it. I measured the existing tank, looks to hold about 35 gallons. Not sure if that is a good amount of water for this boat but it seems small to me. The space used appears to be poorly utilized, lots of wasted space. I'm thinking about removing everything and building in it's place a water tank taking advantage of the actual space available.

I'd love to hear opinions of the best way to go about changing this tank, if better to get a drop in tank, go to collapsible bladders, built in tank, etc.

I'm also looking to find out about new water pumps. While the one I have still works, it is 42 years old. I'd hate to go through all this work and then have the pump die a short time later. Any opinions on water pumps, I'd love to hear.

Thanks,

dj

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
I put in a new tank on my 79H30C a few years ago.
It was relatively painless...
Take up the port side settee cushion and unfold the expansion board (if it's still there). Mentally draw a line on the gel coat settee base about 1.5 inches inboard of the perimeter. Imagine you just cut that line with a jig saw.
Now, if you actually do the above, lift out the fiberglass panel you just cut and you will have access to the tank.
Install the new tank, then install removable cleats (wood working cleats... NOT rope cleats) on the inside edge of the cut out. Attach the cut out panel to the cleats and Bob's your uncle.

As to the size, unless you plan on a two week or longer stint at sea, 30 gals plus bottled water for coffee has been plenty in my 40 years of owning my boat.

Feel free to PM me with any further questions.
Regards,
G.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Interesting! That sounds much easier than I at first thought. Do you know where to get a tank?

Thoughts on the pump?

dj

May 27, 2004
My second fresh water pump died after 20 years of service.
I went to my local chandler who knows pumps and brought in the old one.
I could have had it rebuilt, but I was going on cruise in a week so he recommended a pump that would match the hose diameters and the run distance on my H30C.
(I'm stalling)
But I don't have the specs in the house. So, I'll look at the pump tomorrow and reply to your reply to this reply which will remind me to answer your question...
Got all that? :rolleyes:

May 27, 2004
Sorry, I missed the question on the source for the new tank...
You can order one right here at the SBO store.
Call Dave on the store's toll free number AFTER you remove the old tank.
Why after? You will find a stock tank from the SBO store/mfg'er that fits the space easily.
But, if you have an open space to measure, you may find a larger, non standard
or a standard tank with a weird shape that fits and might be in the 40 or 45 gallon range instead of the 32 gal one that I bought.

Pump specs coming tomorrow.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Fwiw, Ronco Plastics Ronco Plastics marine Tanks makes TOP quality thick-walled water and waste tanks for a very reasonable price and have more than 400 shapes and sizes, over 100 of which are non-rectangular, and they install fittings in the sizes and locations specified by the customer when they make the tank.
Keep in mind as you look at the drawings in their catalog that they can be oriented ANY direction because there is no top or bottom till the fittings are installed, and you'll decide where they go. Be sure to specify WATER tank when you order 'cuz water and waste tanks are cured differently, resulting in a "plastic" taste to the water if the tank was cured to be a waste tank.
And btw...unless something has changed you can order it through sbo.com.

--Peggie

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
I'm also looking to find out about new water pumps. While the one I have still works, it is 42 years old. I'd hate to go through all this work and then have the pump die a short time later. Any opinions on water pumps, I'd love to hear.
I have become a big fan of Groco products. I have a few of their pumps and other items on board, and their technical and parts support is superb, 'though not always cheap.

The 36800-1000 is the one I have. It seems robust, and reliable. It's rebuildable - I've done mine, which I believe was the first rebuild at 20 years. The kit was expensive, but you get the impression it's industrial quality. Unfortunately, a new one is in the $500 neighborhood. You might find a good, used one.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
I'll have to check what kind of pump I have there now. Maybe I can just rebuild it. That's a thought. It does look like a pretty robust diaphragm pump. Makes me wonder if it is a Groco... I'll be up there this weekend and will take a look.

Thanks Peggy for the tank info. I couldn't remember who that poly tank manufacturer was.

dj

May 27, 2004
Thank you Peggy. I'd forgotten the benefits of ordering my tank with the custom fitting locations from the SBO store/Ronco. That made installation a breeze.

I should add that it would be good to spec two "Inspection Ports" in the top of the tank, oriented to the 'under settee cushion access covers'. That will allow DLJ to clean the tank as needed.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2016
Lord Nelson Lord Nelson 35 3 Full time cruiser
I am in the process of replacing the tanks in my '82 37C. I have cut the settee tops off and removed the old tanks. I will use them to build foam template (plugs) to fiberglass over with 5 layers of 1708 biaxial cloth and basically duplicate the original tank, barrier coat the inside with an NSF approved epoxy for drinking water and re-tab them where they were before. I considered plastic tanks but they don't come with baffles and that was a deal breaker for me.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Joe28532,

How many gallons are you making your tank? Also, why not just build the tank in place to take better advantage of the space available and the current fiberglass in place?

dj

Sep 29, 2016
They will be the same capacity as the original. I don't plan on building them integral (in place) or using the hull as part of the tank to avoid the increased chance of osmotic blistering. Also if there are any issues in the future it's just a matter of grinding out a couple layers of tabbing instead of an entire tank side.

Sep 29, 2016
I realize this post was made some time ago now but I thought that I would update with my progress. I decided against making the tanks the exact same size since there seemed to be a reasonable amount of wasted space that could be used. I made templates out of XPS insulation foam from Lowe's to fit under the settees to use up as much of the space as possible. I made the templates using the stitch and glue method. I used those templates as moulds to fiberglass over. If my calculations are correct I am gaining 10 gallons total per tank just by following the curvature of the hull basically. I still need to make the baffles and the tops and also install the fittings before they are ready to be tabbed in. So far I am happy with the way these have turned out. I did get a quote for custom-made poly tanks that was close to $3,000 NOT including the shipping. When it is all said and done I will have less than $2,000 in these tanks and have a finished product that can easily be repaired if need be. They are made with 5 layers of 1708 biaxial cloth using epoxy. I am also coating the inside of them with an NSF 61 approved epoxy coating. NSF-61 is the government's approval rating for potable water.

Attachments