Water tank capacity 35S5

Apr 10, 2017
Seidelman 37 Kemah, TX
What is the water tank capacity of a 35S5? Sailboatdata says 30 gal but the Yachtworld listing says 80 gal. Which is correct?
Thanks,
Bob

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
If the tank is rectangular you can get a ballpark capacity (ballpark because you're using outside measurements and not every single cubic inch in any tank is usable) by multiplying LxWxH in inches and dividing by 231 (cubic inches in a gallon). If , for example, you get something 32.864, you have a 30 gallon tank. Even if the tank isn't rectangular, unless it's a really squirrelly shape or your math skills are a lot better than mine, you should be able to get close enough to know whether it's about 80 or about 30 by measuring the rectangular part of it..

Apr 10, 2017
Seidelman 37 Kemah, TX
Thanks, Peggy. It's a boat we are considering buying and it's two hours away. I was hoping to get a number from a current owner. If it's 30 gal it's off the list, 80gal we'll consider it.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
In that case, ask the seller...the YW listing has to include contact info for him or his broker. If the water tank turns out to be too small, as long as there's space for one that's big enough it's not a deal breaker, it's a bargaining chip!

Apr 10, 2017
Seidelman 37 Kemah, TX
"as long as there is space" that's the catch isn't? I've got an email in to the broker. I just thought if someone had that model boat that would be the definitive answer.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
Look for othe listings of the same boat..... sure there are a few around the world listed on yw.

Apr 10, 2017
Seidelman 37 Kemah, TX
The broker is checking with the owner, he thinks the owner may have added some capacity.

Apr 10, 2017
Seidelman 37 Kemah, TX
Thanks for the info. Two more questions of you don't mind. Does your boat have A/C? If so, where is the unit located. The boat we are looking at has an RV unit sitting in the hatch over the salon and I would like to replace that with a marine unit if we buy the boat. Do you have a genset and if so, where is it located?
OK, one more, you may want to PM, would you buy another one?
Thanks,
Bob

Oct 10, 2012
Beneteau 35s5 Georgetown, Md.
- Yes, the boat does have A/C. When I bought the boat the A/C unit (18,500 BTU) was located in the starboard locker in the cockpit and a big mess. It pretty much took up the entire locker with the ductwork, piping, etc. The water heater (5 gallon) is located under the nav station. I basically swapped the location of each and gained back a ton of storage in the aft locker. I did the project myself and it was a lot of work, but well worth it and works great.
- I do not have a genset, but I imagine the only place that would fit would once again be the starboard locker.
- I do love the boat and still have it. I have the lead keel version which according to the literature that came with the boat from Beneteau draws 6'-6" and she does sail well especially upwind. I bought the boat back in 2011 from an owner who kept her in Lake Lewisville outside of Dallas and had it shipped up to the Chesapeake Bay where I live.
- Let me know if I can help you out with any questions and good luck. - Dave

Apr 10, 2017
Seidelman 37 Kemah, TX
Small world, I used to sail my Hobie on Lake Lewisville. Went from the 16' Hobie to a 41' Irwin that we lived aboard and cruised for six years. Going to look at the Beneteau this morning. Looked at the outside yesterday and it looks like those funky salon windows might have been leaking. It's an '89. Might have more questions later.

Apr 10, 2017
Seidelman 37 Kemah, TX
Looked at the boat and decided to pass. Just out of curiosity, does your boat have two deckfills for water, one for each tank? This one had only one, making me think it only had one tank.

Oct 10, 2012
Beneteau 35s5 Georgetown, Md.
It has one on deck that splits to both tanks below. One tank is under the port berth in the main salon and the other tank is under the v-berth. Good luck with your search.