Water tank access

Nov 16, 2012
Catalina 310, 2000, #31 31 Santa Cruz
I'm working on installing a tank sensor system for the fresh and black water tanks, using a Level Guard SensaTank Marine 100 (Tank Level Monitor » Trionic Corp.). Access to the waste tank was pretty easy, but the fresh water is not so simple. It looks like I'll need to empty the tank, remove the outlet hose at the bottom, and pull it out of the space it's sitting in to be able to attach the sensors to the outside of the tank. Has anyone done that? Any tips?

I'll also replace that outlet hose at the same time, while I'm there.

The instructions for the sensors say to only use isopropyl alcohol for cleaning the tank before sticking them on. Seems like an odd solvent. Any tips for being sure they don't come loose? Although there may be enough bulge in the tank that they will be pressed tight against the walls.

Here's a picture looking up from behind the drawers.
IMG_0291.jpg

Clydo

May 28, 2013
Catalina C310 SF Bay/Delta
Can you use existing wires to panel or did you have to run new wires and install new gauge?

Clyde Thorington
C310 # 245
I LEAN TOO
San Jose, CA

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
I installed a Raritan gauge similar to yours on my fresh water tank. I had to lift it up a ways to install the sensor, but I didn't remove the tank completely. Clearance was sufficient for the sensor on my unit. It is still working after about 12 years of use.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
As others have said, drain and remove the tank. For ease in dealing with the hose, open up the bilge and cut the water hose at an easy to reach point. Then you can just pull out the tank and put it up on the bed platform. At least replace the short , probably 3-4 foot, section of hose from the tank to the cut and the hose clamp. After you put the tank back you can join the two sections with a brass T with a ball valve on the offset side of the T. Now you can drain your tank into the bilge. This is good for winterizing, just drain the tank and never put antifreeze in it. Or for cleaning the tank or the bilge.

Here are my 3 sensor locations. I didn't take the time to fill the tank and mark it. So these were guesses. The top two are a little low. My system measures in thirds of the tank.

IMG_2623.JPG

Rubbing alcohol is the correct solvent. You want a clean surface and the alcohol will evaporate and leave very little residual.

Good luck with the holding tank. I could never get mine to work. Too much clinging to the sides of the tank is my guess.

Good luck.

Nov 16, 2012
Fresh water tank...

paulj :hook2:
Looks like you pulled the cabinets out. Unfortunately that doesn’t give any access to the tank, except the bottom fitting.

Nov 16, 2012
Can you use existing wires to panel or did you have to run new wires and install new gauge?

Clyde Thorington
C310 # 245
I LEAN TOO
San Jose, CA
No existing wires, but it’s pretty easy to run wires from there back to the nav station, or wherever I end up deciding to put the display.

Nov 16, 2012
As others have said, drain and remove the tank. For ease in dealing with the hose, open up the bilge and cut the water hose at an easy to reach point. Then you can just pull out the tank and put it up on the bed platform. At least replace the short , probably 3-4 foot, section of hose from the tank to the cut and the hose clamp. After you put the tank back you can join the two sections with a brass T with a ball valve on the offset side of the T. Now you can drain your tank into the bilge. This is good for winterizing, just drain the tank and never put antifreeze in it. Or for cleaning the tank or the bilge.

Here are my 3 sensor locations. I didn't take the time to fill the tank and mark it. So these were guesses. The top two are a little low. My system measures in thirds of the tank.

View attachment 174843

Rubbing alcohol is the correct solvent. You want a clean surface and the alcohol will evaporate and leave very little residual.

Good luck with the holding tank. I could never get mine to work. Too much clinging to the sides of the tank is my guess.

Good luck.
Thanks. No need for winterizing here in Sunny Santa Cruz, but having a tee and valve in that line are a good idea. I’ll let you know how the waste tank works out. We don’t use ours that much, so it’s not a big deal, and pumping out is real easy here.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Our Raritan gauge works well on the holding tank also. I believe it is a strip of copper up the outside of the tank, divided into quarters, rather than the three sensors on yours.