Water Pump Question

KZW

May 17, 2014
Catalina 310 #307 Bluewater Bay, FL
The large price increase on the N202M-908 occurred shortly after I purchased mine. Westerbeke decided to purchase the entire Shurwood output to equip their engines and immediately jacked up the price by more than $100.0. Oberdorfer, who had only come out with the N202M-908 a few months earlier, matched the increase.

Aug 29, 2016
Catalina 2004 310 (Hull #250) BC
I see that Marine Parts Direct has the N202M-908 for $374.69 right now

Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
I just ordered the OBERDORFER, as my wifes XMAS present and it will arrive Monday , from Marine Parts source,Boy will she be surprised!
Thanks for the link, Paul. I also got the gasket along with it. Sales was very helpful and informative.
NOW, What did you do with your Sherwood?

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2012
Catalina 310, 2000, #31 31 Santa Cruz
I just ordered the OBERDORFER, as my wifes XMAS present and it will arrive Monday , from Marine Parts source,Boy will she be surprised!
Thanks for the link, Paul. I also got the gasket along with it. Sales was very helpful and informative.
You are a hopeless romantic! :)

paulj

Mar 16, 2007
Catalina 310 Anacortes,Wa
It is sitting on the Catalina boat table.sherwood pump.JPG
paulj
:hook2:

Attachments

Last edited:

KZW

May 17, 2014
Catalina 310 #307 Bluewater Bay, FL
Will you retain the boat in the divorce?

Oct 3, 2011
I hope she gives me at least the Manson Supreme back I gave her for our anniversary one year.... :)
After 44 years that's the least I could hope for.
Paul, The Sherwood offsets the interior just nice. Great centerpiece accent! Better than boat Ivy!

The person I spoke with at Marine parts was very friendly and knowledgable, the pump arrived in two days with free shipping. I got the gasket also, but do I need anything else? It will be an unbolt than bolt?
Can I use an extra impeller I had for the Sherwood as an extra for the Oberdorfer?

Dec 8, 2017
Hunter 326 Dana Point
I know this thread is old, but Amazon now has the N202M-908 for $333 and the -16 for $233, if you don't require customer support...

Oct 3, 2011
We were glad we did the replacement....

CTS

Dec 5, 2017
Catalina 27 pa
So it seems the Sherwood pump is not well liked? Is it because of the process to change the impeller or other issues? Seems like they are supposed to move more water?

Jul 1, 2009
Catalina 310 Sydney-Pittwater
The Oberdorfer I purchased from Catalina Direct had two bad cracks in it. It cost me additional freight and lengthy time to have it replaced by them. Meanwhile, however, Oberdorfer came good and sent me a new pump free of charge virtually overnight. That pump has now been running for almost 3 years (about 300 hrs) trouble free. That, plus Oberdorfer’s prompt service speaks for choosing their pumps.

Oct 3, 2011
Jesse or Stu may weigh in on this but if you search water pumps above you may get alot of information but from my understanding the sherwood has a history of being faulty and the impeller is hugely easier to change with the oberdorfer, which is supposed to be more reliable also.

CTS

Dec 5, 2017
Catalina 27 pa
Everything is ordered, she'll get a new pump before spring launch. I was gonna replace the impeller anyhow, now I'll just replace the pump instead ;-)

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
Alan is correct, there have been reliablity issues with the Sherwood. Mine needed to be rebuilt after under 400 hours. And they fail with less hours after the rebuild. My Oberdorfer has over 1,200 hours and only thing I have done was the lipseals which I did with minimal resistance in an anchorage.

But really, it's the impeller. I can't imagine changing that impeller in a busy area while under stress.

Good luck

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Jesse or Stu may weigh in on this but if you search water pumps above you may get alot of information but from my understanding the sherwood has a history of being faulty and the impeller is hugely easier to change with the oberdorfer, which is supposed to be more reliable also.
Why SHERWOOD Raw Water Pumps leave a LOT to be desired: See reply #7 here: http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,8493.0.html