Water pump fittings

Nov 16, 2012
Catalina 310, 2000, #31 31 Santa Cruz
The N202M-16 water pump on my 25XPBC engine is starting to leak. I've ordered a new pump, a kit to rebuild the old one (keep as a spare, #11691), and two gaskets (just in case, #298485). The current fittings are looking a little corroded and I'm thinking of replacing them at the same time. I know bronze is the preferred metal, but are there any disadvantage with using stainless, or plastic (PVC or poly)? Also, does anyone remember the barbed hose size? 5/8"?

I spent an hour going through all the threads on the water pump here. Lots of real good info. Thanks to all who have shared.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
I know bronze is the preferred metal, but are there any disadvantage with using stainless, or plastic (PVC or poly)? Also, does anyone remember the barbed hose size? 5/8"?
Hard to find in stainless. Plastic? I wouldn't trust for long term use. Barbed hose size is based on what you have on your HX port - may not be the same for everybody. My boat used to have 1/2" hose from the pump to the HX. Upon inspection, some bozo had jammed smaller hose onto the HX and used a 1/2" elbow on the pump! When I replaced the HX, I found out. Rerplaced the elbow, new 5/8" hose to the new HX. Funny stuff you may find...

Good luck, Rob, good idea to do.

BTW, rebuilding a pump is not that hard, if I can do it!!!:):):)

Oberdorfer Pump Rebuild 101 - http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,6766.0.html

Nov 16, 2012
Hard to find in stainless. Plastic? I wouldn't trust for long term use. Barbed hose size is based on what you have on your HX port - may not be the same for everybody. My boat used to have 1/2" hose from the pump to the HX. Upon inspection, some bozo had jammed smaller hose onto the HX and used a 1/2" elbow on the pump! When I replaced the HX, I found out. Rerplaced the elbow, new 5/8" hose to the new HX. Funny stuff you may find...

Good luck, Rob, good idea to do.

BTW, rebuilding a pump is not that hard, if I can do it!!!:):):)

Oberdorfer Pump Rebuild 101 - http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,6766.0.html
Thanks. Catalina Direct sells bronze 1/2” MPT x 5/8” barb fittings, kind of pricey, and that’s why I’m guessing 5/8”-but I need to measure mine. I haven’t found much else out there yet.

The rebuild doesn’t look bad.

I see you moved out of the Bay Area. Congratulations, I hope!

Nov 16, 2012
Rob, can't you find them at WM? Or a local chandlery?
WM is about all there is in Santa Cruz now. I’ll give them a visit. I’ve also got a rigger friend who has connections and is more than willing to order things for me.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
You can get stainless at McMaster-Carr. When I did my first Oberdorfer, I used stainless fittings from McMaster-Carr. That was 5-6 years ago. Recently I got a new pump, the N202M-837, its already modified so you don't have to cut the base. I got new fittings when I did this and it turns out I didn't have to the stainless steel ones showed no signs of dezincification. But one thing to keep in mind, if you order a standard bronze nipple of the pump, one will have to be cut. The threaded openings on the pump are too close together for them both to turn on. If you get the ones from Catalina direct they are a specially made part that will turn in the space available.

Nov 16, 2012
You can get stainless at McMaster-Carr. When I did my first Oberdorfer, I used stainless fittings from McMaster-Carr. That was 5-6 years ago. Recently I got a new pump, the N202M-837, its already modified so you don't have to cut the base. I got new fittings when I did this and it turns out I didn't have to the stainless steel ones showed no signs of dezincification. But one thing to keep in mind, if you order a standard bronze nipple of the pump, one will have to be cut. The threaded openings on the pump are too close together for them both to turn on. If you get the ones from Catalina direct they are a specially made part that will turn in the space available.
I think I knew that about the tight fit with the fittings. Did you have to cut one of the stainless fittings when you installed them?

Looks the 837 is the 908 pump with fittings, clamps, and gaskets. I didn’t know that was available now. I learn something new every day here...

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
I think I knew that about the tight fit with the fittings. Did you have to cut one of the stainless fittings when you installed them?
No, but that's because I added some 45 degree elbows to make the spacing work. It was kind of ugly and had unnecessary points of possible failure.

Looks the 837 is the 908 pump with fittings, clamps, and gaskets. I didn’t know that was available now. I learn something new every day here...
Yup. It was a nice easy install. And looks nicer than my previous self modification to fit.

Nov 16, 2012
Yup. It was a nice easy install. And looks nicer than my previous self modification to fit.
I bought the -16 because the original clamps were long gone, and I couldn’t install the -908 without them. I should have waited and gotten the -837! Now I’ll see how good my grinding skills are...

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
I'm running straight fittings on mine - actually better fit than the 90's. I also relocated the sea strainer so I could actually reach it, which is one reason the 90 works better.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
I'm running straight fittings on mine - actually better fit than the 90's. I also relocated the sea strainer so I could actually reach it, which is one reason the 90 works better.
Any pics? I would like to see that setup. I am considering a strainer and fuel filter change on my boat for better access and some other improvements.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Here you go. I wish I mounted the strainer another 1/2” higher so I could remove the basket when the filter is stuck to the top.
52E30536-2D9C-4F4B-8702-0ECFEE18D4B3.jpeg

Nov 16, 2012
I wanted to put a plug in for the company I bought the pump and misc. parts from. Scott @ pumpsandpartsonline.com was very helpful tracking down the various pieces. Their prices seem very reasonable, they offer free shipping in the US, and they carry all of the versions: -16, -908, and -837.