Water leaking in through plate - 1986 Hunter 28.5

Lilo

Nov 26, 2013
Hunter 28.5 Patrick AFB
The attached photo belongs to a plate located in the last compartment of the aft cabin. This compartment is located right after the compartment that provides access to the engine transmission and shaft, under the seat cushions in a 1986 Hunter 28.5. There is water leaking through the plate in the area I circled and I'm not sure if I should loose these bolts and remove the plate since I can't find this section in the boat manual and I'm not sure what is underneath or what are those bolts holding below. Any advise will be appreciated.

Attachments

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Well if you are sure it is not a chain plate, then I can't see a reason to not open it up and look.

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
I don't know the layout of the Pearson but from your description it sounds like this could not possibly be a chain plate since it is low in the boat and probably below the waterline. In other words, unless you know what it is and what it holds or secures I would'nt even thing about taking the nuts off while in the water :yikes: Based on your description of the location, If you have an inboard, is it possible these are associated with the shaft strut?

Lilo

Nov 26, 2013
Hunter 28.5 Patrick AFB
I don't know the layout of the Pearson but from your description it sounds like this could not possibly be a chain plate since it is low in the boat and probably below the waterline. In other words, unless you know what it is and what it holds or secures I would'nt even thing about taking the nuts off while in the water :yikes: Based on your description of the location, If you have an inboard, is it possible these are associated with the shaft strut?
The boat is actually a 1986 Hunter 28.5. I'll definitely research the shaft strut angle. Thanks!

Apr 22, 2011
Hunter 27 Pecan Grove, Oriental, NC
It looks like the bolt pattern of a prop shaft strut. Is it located inline and above the prop shaft? If this is correct, then the metal plate is the backing plate for the strut. Next time you are hauled out you can disassemble and re-caulk the strut.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
kind of an odd cover…or whatever it is. Doesn’t seem to be CL of the boat, but hard to tell from the one photo. Also doesn’t look “sealed” (no sealant evident around the edges). 3 corners have Phillips screws in addition to the bolts and nuts in the corners.

I would be real careful taking it off until you know what it is and what might be under there (or held on by it).

Greg

Lilo

Nov 26, 2013
Hunter 28.5 Patrick AFB
It looks like the bolt pattern of a prop shaft strut. Is it located inline and above the prop shaft? If this is correct, then the metal plate is the backing plate for the strut. Next time you are hauled out you can disassemble and re-caulk the strut.
It is in line with the prop shaft and definitely it is in a position where only the shaft strut would be, just in front of the rudder kind off. I also had some engine vibration at one time, out of nowhere which disappeared after a while but it happen just prior to the leak showing up. After continuing reading and researching it's evident that both the shaft strut and engine vibration are good partners. Now is time to move into why the vibration. You can never stop having fun ah?

Great advice, thanks brother.