Water in keel?

Dec 3, 2018
Hunter 31 Baltimore
Hello all, I was installing a new bilge pump yesterday, located center line about mid ship. I drilled a hole slightly too deep in bottom of bilge and some water came out, I plugged it with a screw and 5200. (gonna glass it over) the water smelled foul which leads me to believe it has been sitting there for a while. It’s a bolted on keel on a 84 H31. What’s my move here? wasn’t planning on hauling out until end of this season.

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
At this age your keel is considerably overdue to be dropped and re-bedded. Plan on doing this at the end of this season. Then you should be good for another 30 years. (I have seen a late 70's Hunter keel with a very uneven top to the casting and a lot of factory poly filler around the joint with the hull.)
There must be a void where the uneven pour of the lead has let some water in around the joint. You need to check the bolts for corrosion. (Assumption being that you have a lead external keel).

Dec 14, 2003
Hunter 34 Lake of Two Mountains, QC, Can
Not sure, but I think the 31 has the same false bilge issue as the 34. If so, don't glass it over but rather take care of the issue once and for all. In which case, here is how I got rid of that. Others have documented it also and a search of the archives should bring you some info. Good luck

Attachments

Dec 3, 2018
Hunter 31 Baltimore
Ah yes I’ve been doing quite a bit of research on this “false bilge” what a silly design, thanks for pointing me in the right direction