water in Catalina 27 bilge

Jul 8, 2020
catalina 27 27 oceanside
Is it "normal" for there to be a bit (less than 2") of water in the bilge? I assumed that it is the drip from the shaft packing, but now not so sure. Takes a couple of days to get to that depth. Thanks.

Mar 15, 2020
Catalina 27 Galesville
We've always got around that much in our bilge. Sometimes it frustrates my wife because it's not enough to trigger the floating pump sensor. Not sure what normal is, but it hasn't cause any issues to date. We've even taken a shop vac to it only to have it return to it's former level within a week.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
As long as it's coming from places like the compression post and not the window gaskets, yes.

Jul 8, 2020
catalina 27 27 oceanside
Thanks, I know the shaft packing has to leak a bit (a few drops a minute) and assumed that's the source, have not found anywhere else it might come from.

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
It may be just from the packing gland but it's pretty common for Catalinas to have deck leaks from stanchions etc - is it salt or fresh water (or maybe brackish)? Dry out the bilge prior to some rain (and don't use the boat) and see if you get (fresh) water in the bilge. The other possibility is a leak in the water system. You can lay down paper towels to help find the source of any leaks.

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
Most float switches kick on at 3" and off at 3/4" so it's always somewhere between the two.

Oct 10, 2009
Catalina 27 Lake Monroe
My packing nut doesn't drip at rest and if it did I wouldn't be thrilled with 2 inches per week. I do get water from a few other places and I'm gradually improving that situation. One spot I considered a long shot was the rub rail, but I added a bead of like calk to the top seam and was surprised that I no longer seem to have water running into the settee from the hull to deck joint.

Feb 9, 2021
Catalina Catalina 27 Napoli
Hi everyone, i have the same problem with my catalina 27. I find water in the bilge, fresch water, after raining. I've this boat by few month, but i find strange (i don't know if you agree) that there is no drainage to let out the water from the anchor locker. The Water that enter the winch, goes in a pipe that leads it to the bilge. Do you have the same system or do you have an exit at the Bow that empties the locker?