Water in bilge...

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
SG. It is the PacificNW if you walk barefoot you grow moss or mold between your toes.

We have just come out of or rain season. Now we are going to the intermittent season. This last week has been gorgeous.

If deck stepped than need to affirm the mast weep holes at the base are open and debris free. Rain water gets into the mast. No way out it collects. Till it leaks out somewhere. Better on the deck and off the boat then into the deck and eventually into the bilge.

Oct 22, 2014
Jazz,
Not all mast bases are created equal.
Here are two photos with out the mast in the way.
8E17EE06-FD22-463A-B99B-2B38FB9F5D63.jpeg
Looking at the mast base without th meats. You can see that the mast sits flush against the black cast flat metal. The weep holes are in the aluminum mast. Note the pipes. There were inserted to keep water from going down the hole for the electrical wires - VHF Radio antenna and Electric wires for lights.
In a second image you see we added a bit of hose that curls. All this to meet the water in the mas from intruding into the cabin.
EA6F29F1-AF81-49AA-9A21-71EB39F0161A.jpeg

Jan 2, 2019
Newport 30 Gig Harbor, WA
Sweet ride yesterday! And the Admiral approved...was her first time out on it.
So here are some mast pics... you will see a 1/4" ish hole about 2 inches up from the base of the mast. Not sure if this is a weep hole or not, but its clear. Also you will see a larger 2" hole that originally had a very very tired rubber plug in it, looked original, but I wouldn't swear to it. I replaced it with the black one. Looks like a wire access.

After yesterdays run, there was more water than normal in the bilge. Unfortunately the admiral was icing, and water faucet-ing and dancing on the jib stay... so its not great info. One of my theories is that as the boat sat on the hard a long time, it just has water in all its nooks and crannies... so maybe it'll settle down, but no signs of this yet and its not getting rained on at the moment.

And yes guys, its just a mystery, I'm not freaking out about it really. Happy to drive her around just like she is. Its just bugging the $%!@! out of me that I can't find where all this water is coming from. Its alot if you add it all up from the time I got her. Im going down there now, I'll report on the water situation. It pumped out to about 1/2" last night after the sail.

JS Thanks for the cool pics... I think one of those "tubes" is loose in the mast as something bangs around in there. Sounds like a halyard slapping the mast, so thats not good, but low on the list!
20190508_185710.jpg
20190508_185646.jpg
20190508_185632.jpg
20190508_185617.jpg

Jazz

Oct 22, 2014
Jazz. I think your big hole was for something like, electrical or antenna cable. A rubber plug is a good tool to seal it.

When you take the mast down you have a bunch of options to you.
  1. You can make sure all of the wires and an conduits in the mast are secured. (Stop the banging - tighten the halyards when you lower the sails. Loose halyards are a nightmare on board when trying to sleep.)
  2. You can have a local Aluminum Welder close any unnecessary holes. (I did this on my mast)
  3. You can remove the base. Have it cleaned and powder coated. (that is why my 40 plus year old mast base looks so good)
  4. The small tubes with hose attached are our design to keep mast water from intruding into the cabin. We bore the holes in the base too the outside diameter of the aluminum pipe. The pipe is used to pass the electrical, VHF Coax & Radar wires into the cabin. The combination of the pipes and hoses work as a drop loop to keep water from following the wires or halyards down the inside of the mast and then trying to leak into the cabin.
  5. Weep holes in the mast serve to let any water in the mast to escape and drain out on the deck.
  6. The mast base to deck is sealed with 4200. The pipes, thru deck fittings, and bolts were sealed with 4200.
Since 2016 No leaks... knock on Wood.

Jan 2, 2019
Hi all...I found something!! A tiny hole spraying from the water pressure pump into some dark abyss. Tightened clamp and much better! Still some water going in but about half as much. My water pump cycling was the clue. Thanks and Ill post if i find the rest of the water leak.

JS...the banging is inside the mast! So must be some conduit thing loose in there !

Jazz

Oct 22, 2014
Jazz, water leaks are a thing of boat owner nightmares.:yikes: Try not to let them possess you or you may find yourself waking at 0200 with a flashlight seeking the elusive leak tearing your boat apart. :laugh:

It is all about volume. I suggest you read "Tranquility, a Memoir of an American Sailor" to gain perspective on boat leaks. :confused:

Like the way you used your detective clues (constant running water pump) to limit the search. Conduit could be the culprit it is one of the usual suspects. That is why it's called investigate.:biggrin:

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
[QUOTE="jssailem, post: 1533513, member: 127717"]Jazz, water leaks are a thing of boat owner nightmares.:yikes: Try not to let them possess you or you may find yourself waking at 0200 with a flashlight seeking the elusive leak tearing your boat apart.

Who told you about that!!! :^))))

Oct 22, 2014
SG, I live 250 miles from boat so every outing is a bit of an adventure. Never sleep the first couple of nights on the boat. I hear and wake for every drip, crunch, squeak, ripple, or groan. After a couple of nights these frightening sounds become background sound scatter and I sleep like a baby. Unless some new sound is introduced like a nonstop water pump or a banging halyard. Then I am out of the bunk like an over stretched rubber band with flashlight in hand.

Jan 2, 2019
More tequila quiets the boat JS! Im a baby sailor and even I know this! Ill pull the mast after the season. I need to stop that clanging and run some wires for goodies later!

Oct 22, 2014
We will need to get together later this summer and you can share with me the medicinal quiet of Tequila. I'll bring some sipping Rum and we can test your theory.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
I'm testing that theory tonight with some Eagles Rare.
Gale Warning starting at 6am. Dead calm right now.
Of course I'm safe and sound sitting in the cradle. :biggrin: