Water heater thermostatic mixing valve

Nov 16, 2012
Catalina 310, 2000, #31 31 Santa Cruz
Installed it today. My local hose shop had the 1/2" straight female to 1/2" male tapered pipe fittings. They weren't sure that the seal would work with the filter in the valve, but it held fine. Unfortunately the valve body itself is leaking!! Luckily it will be easy to replace. Will take some more pictures when I do that.
Leak.jpg

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
No picture. I've got a similar 30A master breaker, but the individual breakers can only be reset when they trip; no on/off function. On the DC side it uses the same breakers, but with switches on the side.
Rob, sorry to hear about the leak. Are you sure it's the body and not the connector?

A picture of your panel would help me understand, 'cuz I'm just an old curmudgeon who thinks the push-button IS a shut off, since that's what I have. Darn these old geezers. :deadhorse::(:poke:

Nov 16, 2012
Rob, sorry to hear about the leak. Are you sure it's the body and not the connector?

A picture of your panel would help me understand, 'cuz I'm just an old curmudgeon who thinks the push-button IS a shut off, since that's what I have. Darn these old geezers. :deadhorse::(:poke:
If you look real close at the picture I included you can see it seeping where the fitting fits into the valve body. I was quite surprised it would leak there. I figured one of my connections would be bad. I promise I'll take a picture of the panel.

Nov 16, 2012

Finally remembered to take a picture of the panel. You can see the main 30A AC breaker switch and the individual AC breakers, with no switch. On the DC side the breakers are similar (white instead of black), but there are rocker switches. Pushing the breaker buttons does nothing. Maybe they are all broken, but I think they were designed that way.

Also, none of the indicator lights work any more, nor does the battery test meter.
002.JPG

Aug 13, 2012
Catalina 270 Ottawa
This must be a Catalina thing. My 1994 C270 has very similar arrangement. You can push the breaker in (if it trips), but you cannot use it to disconnect.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
Rob is there a 120vac plug on your water heater somewhere ...like a power cord that plugs into a 120 v ac socket ...if so use that for your quick disconnect if it's hard wired then that sucks the big one

Nov 16, 2012
Rob is there a 120vac plug on your water heater somewhere ...like a power cord that plugs into a 120 v ac socket ...if so use that for your quick disconnect if it's hard wired then that sucks the big one
Hardwired, unfortunately. I've got a new panel, which will solve a lot of problems. Just need some time to install it, and put new crimp connectors on everything that connects to it.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Alameda CA
Too bad about that leak. I think that part unscrews (or maybe screws in a little tighter). You might try and see if there is an o-ring in there. It might be how the filter screen is serviced.

Nov 16, 2012
Too bad about that leak. I think that part unscrews (or maybe screws in a little tighter). You might try and see if there is an o-ring in there. It might be how the filter screen is serviced.
The vendor sent me a new one, so I'm just going to swap it out. Luckily the connections are such that it will be easy to do that. The filter screen on my unit has a little circlip holding it in, accessible from the outside.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
No picture. I've got a similar 30A master breaker, but the individual breakers can only be reset when they trip; no on/off function. On the DC side it uses the same breakers, but with switches on the side.
Most push button breakers can be pulled to disable the circuit. Is this not the case with yours?