Water heater, electrical enigma

Jan 20, 2023
Beneteau Oceanis Clipper 393 Trondheim
Hello, I wonder if any of you can help me figure this out.
I have a water heater Quick BR 23 12 S (1200 W) in my Beneteau.
It has suddenly started to make the mains circuit breaker in my boat trip. This happens every time the heater is turned on.
I have tried diagnosing what the problem is.

Is it the water heater?
  • The answer seems to be NO. When I plug the water heater directly to the land electricity (without going through the boat’s electrical system), it works just fine. It draws 1200 watts, as expected, and the water is heated as expected.
Then the problem must be the electrical system in the boat. Right?
  • Well, the answer seems to be NO. When I plug heavier loads (over 3000 Watts) to the very same power outlet, the breaker does not trip. It only trips with the water heater. The boat’s electrical system seems to be somehow “allergic” to the water heater only.
  • I set in a new breaker just in case. Same behavior. It only trips with the water heater.
I don’t understand. Do you have any idea what could be wrong? Have you encountered anything like this before?
Thank you!

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Is the water heater on its own breaker?

Is the main breaker an ELCI? If so the issue may be a small fault in the circuit or the water heater. The heater would work on any circuit that was not protected by an ELCI or GFCI, but would not work on a circuit that was protected.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
It sounds like your water heater has a plug in it? Am I reading that right? So you can plug it into an extension cord to shore power or into an outlet on the boat? Or plug some other heavy load device into the outlet to test the circuit?
what other loads are on the circuit breaker that the outlet is fed from? Or is the outlet for the WH the only thing on that breaker?

You did some good investigation work to figure it out…zi am as perplexed as you based on your experimentation.

Greg

Jan 7, 2014
Beneteau 45F5 51551 Port Jefferson
I had an issue on a previous boat where the water heater would trip the GFCI every time the breaker was turned on. It turned out that the heating element was corroded and shorting to the ground. Replacing the element was fairly simple. Remove the element and see if it looks corroded or broken.

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.
What happens if you disconnect the water heater power wires from the water heater and connect it to a power drill machine. In other words replace water heater with something else. If the circuit breaker turns off the power then there must be a short on the wires.

Jan 20, 2023
Beneteau Oceanis Clipper 393 Trondheim
What happens if you disconnect the water heater power wires from the water heater and connect it to a power drill machine. In other words replace water heater with something else. If the circuit breaker turns off the power then there must be a short on the wires.
I tried this, with heavy loads. It works just fine. It is only the water heater that makes the breaker trip.
But the water heater connected directly to shore-power, without going though the boat works just fine.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
Easy check for a total/partial short- AFTER disconnecting the water heater power connections, measure with an ohmmeter between the securing of the heating element and each power connection. The resistance should be infinite indicating an open connection. If you have a short in the element, it will indicate a low resistance. A low resistance would indicate a failed heating element.
IMHO a failed heating element is the most likely fault given all of your previous troubleshooting and testing.

Jan 7, 2011
Easy check for a total/partial short- AFTER disconnecting the water heater power connections, measure with an ohmmeter between the securing of the heating element and each power connection. The resistance should be infinite indicating an open connection. If you have a short in the element, it will indicate a low resistance. A low resistance would indicate a failed heating element.
IMHO a failed heating element is the most likely fault given all of your previous troubleshooting and testing.
Seems like it to me too, but the fact that he can plug the WH into a land power connection and it doesn’t trip seems odd. Is there something in the boats GFI system or something that could cause this?

Greg

Johann

Jun 3, 2004
Leopard 39 Pensacola
Seems like it to me too, but the fact that he can plug the WH into a land power connection and it doesn’t trip seems odd. Is there something in the boats GFI system or something that could cause this?

Greg
The boat may have a residual current device (RCD, ELCI, GFCI) with a 30mA tolerance. So if the water heater is leaking 30+mA to ground that would trip the boat breaker, but maybe not the pedestal unless the marina electrical has been recently installed or upgraded.

leo310

Dec 15, 2006
Catalina 310 44 Campbell River BC
Check you wire from the breaker to the heater or just replace it as what you have stated so far is bypassing the breaker/wire everything is ok only when you use the normal route breaker to heater it fails. You may have a lead that is shorting out to ground.

Jun 9, 2008
- -- -Bayfield
It sounds like your water heater has a plug in it? Am I reading that right? So you can plug it into an extension cord to shore power or into an outlet on the boat? Or plug some other heavy load device into the outlet to test the circuit?
what other loads are on the circuit breaker that the outlet is fed from? Or is the outlet for the WH the only thing on that breaker?

You did some good investigation work to figure it out…zi am as perplexed as you based on your experimentation.

Greg
No, water heaters don't have plugs on them to insert into an outlet. It is hard wired into the AC electrical system and through a switch.

BarryL

May 21, 2004
Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 409 Mt. Sinai, NY
Hi,

Here is a picture of the water heater on my boat. It has a euro style plug that goes into the box. Mine is not hard wired. I do have to turn on the breaker on the panel to energize the outlet. This is a Jeanneau factory installation.

IMG_0093.JPG

Barry

Alan K

Feb 22, 2004
Hunter 380 Norwalk, CT
That's a 240v male connector. This is a French-made vessel. In 240-volt countries, like France, the two pins are +240V and Neutral. In the 120v USA, 240v devices are served from two pins, each of which are +120v to Ground (180 degrees out of phase) and 240v to each other. A third Ground wire is required with this kind of 240v service derived from 2 hot 120v leads.

I'd guess that something has been changed along the way to create confusion between 120 and 240-volt supply connections.

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.
Check you wire from the breaker to the heater or just replace it as what you have stated so far is bypassing the breaker/wire everything is ok only when you use the normal route breaker to heater it fails. You may have a lead that is shorting out to ground.
And yes, that is what I am thinking is the problem.

Jan 7, 2011
No, water heaters don't have plugs on them to insert into an outlet. It is hard wired into the AC electrical system and through a switch.
Is it the water heater?
  • The answer seems to be NO. When I plug the water heater directly to the land electricity (without going through the boat’s electrical system), it works just fine. It draws 1200 watts, as expected, and the water is heated as expected.
Then the problem must be the electrical system in the boat. Right?
  • Well, the answer seems to be NO. When I plug heavier loads (over 3000 Watts) to the very same power outlet, the breaker does not trip. It only trips with the water heater. The boat’s electrical system seems to be somehow “allergic” to the water heater only.
I know mine is hard wired to the breaker in the electrical panel, but the original post leads me to believe that has a plug plug wired to the lead to the awash, and that is plugged into an outlet somewhere…hence my question.

Greg

Jun 9, 2008
- -- -Bayfield
Normally hot water heaters are hard wired into the boat's electrical system. Of course, you can attach a regular house outlet plug to any AC appliance and make it work. But, it is convenient to have a switch on the electrical panel so you can quickly shut the power off to the heater and also, it would be wired through a breaker, which is safer than a heat plugged into an outlet. I always switch off the hot water heater when away from the boat for any length of time. That way, I am assured that the water heater will not fail because of a break or leak in the water hoses, which might drain the heater and hence burn out the heating element.