Watches

Jun 25, 2004
Hunter 306 Pasadena MD
Here's my slightly (but hopefully not obnoxiously) different take on the whole "best watch" question. If you really like/love mechanical watches, or some particular brand of mechanical watch, then you should revel in it, buy and wear what you want and be happy! I'd just say that you shouldn't fool yourself that a very expensive watch is in any way functionally better than a cheaper (say under $150) watch, because there's just no way that it's justified. I've worn cheap Ironman Triathlon watches (I'm a runner) for years and years, and they just keep going until at some point, the strap breaks at the same time the battery gives out, and I give up and get another one. Lately, I've been wearing a Garmin Forerunner 235 since about 2017, and it does everything but fill out your taxes for you. I've used it to record a track across the Chesapeake, which you can plot on your iPhone! It's a lot of fun, but it's far from being a prestige watch.

rock_hall.jpeg

There is no right and wrong, but personally, I'm all about functionality and cost/benefit ratio. Except for sailboats, of course, which are all about aesthetics, beauty, and dreams of rounding the Horn. You definitely do not want to dwell on the cost per hour of use with sailboats. So consistency is not my strong point, I guess.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Here's my slightly (but hopefully not obnoxiously) different take on the whole "best watch" question.
For sure!

these are definitely in the “accessories” category. MAN BLING!:p

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
G-Shock Gulf Master
IMG_0033.jpeg

was replaced by a Garmin Descent Mk2i
IMG_0034.jpeg

I have two Luninoxs and a Citzen Divemaster that sit in a box. The Garmin does everything.

Tater

Oct 26, 2021
Hunter 170 Lake Logan Martin AL
I retired earlier this year and my wife come up with this.
Solar, Bluetooth and it even tells the time.
IMG_0511.jpg

Oct 10, 2009
Catalina 27 Lake Monroe
Seiko Prospex Solar Diver. I've been checking the accuracy out of curiosity and its maybe 1 sec/month +/-. Very happy with it.

Mar 7, 2023
Hunter 28.5 Savannah
For our 25th anniversary we were in Austria and stopped into a Rolex jewelry store and my wife gifted me Rolex GMT II and I gifted her a Yachtmaster ladies watch. This was in 2012 and both watches are worn everyday without skipping a beat. One service time for cleaning in all these years. I’ve owned other watches (Breitling, Bulova’s Tag Huer, etc) but my GMT is the only bling I wear daily. Still looks new with the sapphire crystal not a single scratch. I know I’ll get flack for posting I own one… i’ll survive! ;)

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Can someone explain what purpose a watch serves in sailing/racing?
When we raced, we had a chronometer display on the mast base for timing starts, etc… is that a functional equivalent these days?

Must admit I have a few watches from a cheap one to a not so cheap green Rolex but never considered them any use in this context.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I use a pocket watch. It tells time, has a stop watch, will load Navonics and Tide info and also shows me weather radar etc. I can call my wife and kids... I can even watch Netflix at anchor in the evenings... it is called an iPhone 7.:biggrin:

Mar 7, 2023
Hunter 28.5 Savannah
I use a pocket watch. It tells time, has a stop watch, will load Navonics and Tide info and also shows me weather radar etc. I can call my wife and kids... I can even watch Netflix at anchor in the evenings... it is called an iPhone 7.:biggrin:
I thought about that and think an iphone is an extraordinary instrument in ones hands but it doesn’t look great on the wrist when in black tie events or while sailing or other sports events. ;)
IMG_6300.jpeg

Aug 10, 2020
Catalina C25 3559 Rocky Mount
I always wore am Oris. Had a stroke, now it's a smart watch. Gotta keep an eye on things. It's lame.