Watches

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Anyone else into watches?

I always wanted a high end watch, a Rolex or an Omega. So, about 13 years ago I got a gorgeous Omega Seamaster.

omega-seamaster-300-m-chronometer-22545000-l-9d03a8.png

Seamaster 300 M CHRONOMETER

What a disappointment! I have fixed this thing a half dozen times - a snapped-off stem, and bracelet issues. I even spent 4120 on the tool to open the back. It would be about $550 to send it back to Omega in Switzerland for a service, which it needs. Ugh.

So, my backup - Invicta! These things are great. Seiko automatic movement, stainless case, available in numerous styles and colors. I'm thinking the Pro Diver in particular. Just got a new one on Amazon for $68!!!

I think it's gorgeous and functional, watertight, and so far, keeping within +/- 5 seconds per day, which is within chronograph specs. Can't beat them.

2023-08-08 16.08.10.jpg

I'm a big Invicta fan. Any others out there?

jv

BarryL

May 21, 2004
Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 409 Mt. Sinai, NY
Hi,

Beautiful watch.

I'm a REFORMED watch geek, with Omega being my favorite brand. I've had good luck with my Omega's, all have been reliable and durable. I stopped wearing a nice watch onboard after I lost a very nice speedmaster overboard. The bracelet failed and the watch is now under 50' of water somewhere near Mt Sinai.

Around 6 years ago I bought a Garmin fitness watch. I have become totally addicted to it and now that's pretty much the only watch I wear. If I'll be at sea for a long time (more than 3 days) I will wear a cheap casio digital watch because the battery lasts for ever and the alarm is loud enough to wake me.

Now my fancy watches sit around and collect dust.

Barry

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
citizen dive watch. 15 years and counting.

i also wear, bought when a young sailor, i one carat pinky finger diamond ring. i wear it sailing near and far. no mater what i get into, i can always trade it for a ticket home.

anyone carry a doubloon? got one of those too

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
citizen dive watch. 15 years and counting.

i also wear, bought when a young sailor, i one carat pinky finger diamond ring. i wear it sailing near and far. no mater what i get into, i can always trade it for a ticket home.

anyone carry a doubloon? got one of those too
That was one of the values of a Rolex for Vietnam era guys.

Aug 17, 2013
Pearson P30 202 Ottawa/Gatineau
I also love watches.
My recent acquisitions are a Tissot sailing touch (used) and a Tag Hueur link (also used)

I used to have a nice Citizen eco drive diving watch, but the stem broke and it was too expensive to fix

Aug 19, 2021
Hunter 280 White House Cove Marina
I wear a Samsung Gear S3 Frontier. I got it at a discount price from a sailor that was transferred to one of those super secret SCIF deals for the 3 years. So what happens, my next project was building a SCIF for the last 3 years. Murphy's law brother and sisters.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
I have a friend who inherited $20,000 from his mother when she passed. Instead of just throwing it into the bank account he bought a solid gold Cartier tank watch for that amount. It was heavy! It's worth a lot more now. :)

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
My “daily driver” is this solar powered Seiko…never needs winding or a battery.

But the stem is hard to pull out…I should take it to the jeweler and see if he can fix it.

It gets beat up badly, but keeps on ticking.

I just wish it could go down to 30 meters or so.

IMG_2017.jpeg

Greg

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
My “daily driver” is this solar powered Seiko…never needs winding or a battery.

But the stem is hard to pull out…I should take it to the jeweler and see if he can fix it.

It gets beat up badly, but keeps on ticking.

I just wish it could go down to 30 meters or so.

View attachment 218631

Greg
Nice!

I fix my family's watches. My son has a Seiko solar that needs a new rechargeable battery! They're about $30.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
I don't wear a watch since I retired in 2008 but I really liked the intricacies of the mechanical mechanisms.. I have a 1965 vintage Gallet Chronoigraph that my dad gave me for my 17th birthday on the day that I got my private pilot's license. Not quite the panache of the better known Swiss ones, but a great timepiece. My "daily drivers" as Tally Ho says, were Texas Instruments (very early LED) and various Bulova and Casio and even a Timex.. A former girl friend even gave me what she called a Poe-Lex .. bought on the streets of New York city.. Looks like a Rolex but is for "Poe-Folks". Doesn't have the smooth sweep second hand of the real thing but its electronic mechanism keeps better time than the mechanical Rolex ..
My Gallet looks just like this one but it was around before they named it in honor of Jim Clark.
1691587567107.png
1691587567107.png

Apr 8, 2011
Hunter 40 Deale, MD
I've been using the Garmin Quatix 6 for about a year now. Its no beauty queen, compared to the Omegas, Rolexes, or other chronometers others have posted. But in terms of putting data on your wrist - highly configurable data - its pretty darned useful. And when paired with Garmin hardware, it can control all sorts of stuff from your Fusion radio to your autopilot. It will even tie into the data bus on your boat and stream NMEA2000 data. Developers are free to build apps for it, and there's everything from anchor alarms to local tide tables, etc. Most of those apps and faces you can download allow you to configure what data is where on your watch face, including local weather, sunrise/sunset, local temps, etc. You can also put charts on it and it will track your position with its GPS (though why you would want charts on that tiny screen is a mystery to me). It's also a fully functional workout watch, based on the Fenix, so there's all that as well. Since it pairs with your phone you also get all your phone messages (if you want to see them), though unlike an apple watch it has no microphone to take calls. And if you don't turn on the blood oxygen monitoring the battery lasts for roughly a week.

Arguably you don't really need all that stuff on your wrist. But if you spend the time learning how to use the watch it has a lot of really useful stuff for sailors. The price is pretty steep - $600-$1100 depending on model, but the watch has so far proved very rugged. Oh, it also tells the time ;)

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I like this one… the red arm is a tide watch