Volvo Seal, Replaced With PSS.

Dec 31, 2016
Beneteau Oceanis 351 Charlottetown
Most likely no effect.
The bellows are essentially a "Spring" to hold the seal's compression. Too much compression and the carbon face wears faster.
Too little and there is no seal.

The reason I purge my seal is when the transmission is in Reverse [normally a muddy bottom] I can suck up silt by the bellow expanding. The bellow then compresses again, After I put it in Forward. The purged seal, purges the potential silt from Bellows.
Jim...
I'm relatively new to boat transmissions, they must have much stronger innards then automotive/trucks transmissions as you can't get away with any kind of load of this kind on the output shaft.

Dec 31, 2016
Beneteau Oceanis 351 Charlottetown
Brian, just wondering how many hours that you had on the Volvo shaft seal and the age of the seal. Mine is about 10 years old with low hours; doesn't leak a drop. So far its been trouble free. Just lubricate it once a year. I am overdue for replacement of the shaft tube nipple and will replace it this fall when I haul the boat.
I'm not sure how old this one was, The po hadn't any record of any replacement.

Jun 2, 2007
Beneteau First 375 Slidell, LA
I'm relatively new to boat transmissions, they must have much stronger innards then automotive/trucks transmissions as you can't get away with any kind of load of this kind on the output shaft.
Consider that the thrust of the prop shaft (in forward and reverse) is applied directly to the transmission. IOW, the boat is being shoved around by the thrust bearing in the transmission. I think the spring compression is pretty small in comparison.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
... boat transmissions, they must have much stronger innards then automotive/trucks transmissions as you can't get away with any kind of load of this kind on the output shaft.
It's just harder to pop the clutch and burn rubber.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
I think the spring compression is pretty small in comparison.
The shaft seal bellows ride on a graphite surface, there is no real load from the seal as evidenced by how happy your shaft is to roll if you have a fixed prop in neutral. The real damage potential is locking up your transmission and allowing the shaft to turn against stopped transmission plates/cones. That will kill a Kanzaki.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
there is no real load from the seal
:plus:
Essentially the load is just your applied pressure on the bellows, when you set it, per PYI instructions.
There is a very small bellows compression [spring] when you forward thrust your boat.
Your engine mounts take the thrust load.:)
_____
Note: If those rubber bellows took the 50+ horse power thrust to move you boat, there would be no gap between the ribs on the bellow.

Tip: Measure the rib to rib gap when it is brand new, no engine on. Log that. In say 6 months, check the gap again. Log it. Repeat that seasonally for sure. Change in gap, change in seal effectiveness over time. Adjust if necessary.

Jim...

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Tip: Measure the rib to rib gap when it is brand new, no engine on. Log that. In say 6 months, check the gap again. Log it. Repeat that seasonally for sure. Change in gap, change in seal effectiveness over time. Adjust if necessary.
... An excellent suggestion.

Mar 20, 2016
Beneteau 351 WYC Whitby
Have the same boat ,also feeds raw water pump at sink , I just changed the out the Volvo dripless with new one no leakage whatsoever ,but I did add a flexible coupling. I machined a bushing to fit on the 25mm shaft and an od of 40mm to go into tube . With this setup the coupling halfs were out 1/8 " loosened motor mounts of engine pulled over until coupling haves mated, then installed flexible coupling in between.